Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a build thread going on my dodge. The goal is to rebuild it on a budget :party018:

The timing case is cracked due to the previous owner never taking care of the KDP. How often do people REPAIR the timing cases? I haven't heard of anyone repairing them, just replacing.

My wife's side of the family is full of metal fabricators. Her uncle is a life-long fabricator owning his own shop. He's done everything from building massive oil valves bigger than a house to random requests from walk in customers. He is also well versed in aluminum welding..

The reason I'd like to have it repaired is because we're buying a house, we have a 9 month old, and the theme of this project is The Craigslist Cummins. That means penny pinching :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CLICK HERE FOR THE BUILD THREAD

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
I'd say fix it, if they own a machine shop, just make sure it's true flat for a good seal.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say fix it, if they own a machine shop, just make sure it's true flat for a good seal.
That was my MAIN concern.. That it's 100% true flat. I might use a silicone sealant for back up :)

How come I never hear of them being repaired.. :confused013:

·
Registered
226 Posts
That was my MAIN concern.. That it's 100% true flat. I might use a silicone sealant for back up :)

How come I never hear of them being repaired.. :confused013:
You never hear about them being fixed because once you have invested all the time and effort to get the broken gear housing off, it's only about $250 to buy a new one. A machine shop would cost alot more to fix an old one. But since you know people....

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
if you know someone that can do it cheap/free go for it. worst case scenario it breaks and you get to do it all over again and hopefully you dont wipe out anything else!

My biggest concern is how badly that thing fractured and the forces involved here. The injection pump eats easily 50hp, it would suck to pop that thing apart when your in the middle of nowhere.

Personally, i wouldnt bother f'n with it, search for a used one. IIRC a new one runs ~500 from cummins, so thats probably not an option for you

·
Registered
168 Posts
As long as the case isn't cast, it appears repairable. Once that's done, stick it in the lathe or CNC and resurface to ensure it seals properly. Having a hookup at a shop will help greatly. Any work I need done on a lathe, end mill, CNC, five axis CNC, etc...I just have to help a little and provide beer.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
they are cast... but thats not a huge concern, working with cast aluminum is not nearly as bad as iron!

·
Registered
168 Posts
they are cast... but thats not a huge concern, working with cast aluminum is not nearly as bad as iron!
Thanks, I wasn't certain if they were cast or not. It will make it a little more difficult, but it's still doable. Like Dave said, cast iron is not an easy repair.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had mine welded, holding with no problems

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If the half jb weld fix works then a weld will for sure work.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the half jb weld fix works then a weld will for sure work.
Hmmmmmm...... Should I........ :stirpot:

Business is booming for my wife's uncle. He's on a job and will be out of town for a SEVERAL weeks.

This may be my only alternative for a while.

The good news is that it's no big deal (for me) to pull my front end apart again should the timing case be a major issue down the road. :party018:

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A little update..

I had the gear case TIG'd back together.. It turned out great! After he finished welding, all I had to do was clean it up .. Didn't take but 10 minutes :thumbsup:

Free TIG welding :party018:

Before:

After:

Got it true and cleaned up for the most part.

Back together:

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you use all align headed hardware?
Haha replying from my cell phone sucks too...

I got the timing cover bolts, intake bolts and oil pan bolts for next to nothing one night on the internet. So I used 'em. :party018:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.