Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my exhaust brake, but I'm always forgetting to turn it on. Does anybody know how to make it stay on all the time?

Thanks,

Grey

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
I don't know of anyone that has been able to do it yet.

·
Registered
707 Posts
When I had my remote start installed the guy was able to wire it up so that the exhaust brake comes on a few seconds after remote starting it. Not sure what was involved in that though.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Did he also wire it to engage the high idle? That would be cool.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Nope just the ex brake. I figured it would be too hard to get the high idle to come on, but that def would have been cool.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm not sure it would be a good idea, especially in the winter months. The exhaust brake could make the rear end slide (can you say "wreck?") on an icy or snowy road.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
I'm not sure it would be a good idea, especially in the winter months. The exhaust brake could make the rear end slide (can you say "wreck?") on an icy or snowy road.
You took the words right out of my mouth :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
This doesn't happen if 4X4 is engaged, which a person would most likely do when traction is questionable. I drive with the exhaust brake on all the time whether it's icy, snowy or whatever and have never had this happen, as the braking is applied to all four wheels. The key is to keep the revs up (drive in 3rd or 4th in the city).

·
Registered
8 Posts
use caution with the above statment. When braking is applied to all four wheels without the benefit of antilock all four may break loose. That gets even more interesting that just the rear losing it's job and coming up front looking for work. Since the truck doesn't have locking difs you might get lucky.

from experience: downshifted on I 25 on ice in 4 high. had a lovely interaction with a cow a fence and a ditch in january 93.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Any truck driver will tell you, NEVER use an exhaust brake in bad weather. Ice is ice whether you have 2 wheel or 4 wheel. You are driving down the highway with your exhaust brake on and come across some black ice. You let off on the throttle a bit and around you go as soon as that exhaust brake starts to engage. In 2 wheel or 4 wheel you will have the same results.
I put over 4 million miles on in 30 years on the big road and have seen my share of guys using exhaust brakes in the snow. The result is usually the same and 99 out of 100 times it will be a newer driver. You will only do it once and will learn your lesson.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Any truck driver will tell you, NEVER use an exhaust brake in bad weather. Ice is ice whether you have 2 wheel or 4 wheel. You are driving down the highway with your exhaust brake on and come across some black ice. You let off on the throttle a bit and around you go as soon as that exhaust brake starts to engage. In 2 wheel or 4 wheel you will have the same results.
I put over 4 million miles on in 30 years on the big road and have seen my share of guys using exhaust brakes in the snow. The result is usually the same and 99 out of 100 times it will be a newer driver. You will only do it once and will learn your lesson.
I will second that information. Even though the engine brake is not all that aggressive you can still get into a bind using it on ice. This reminds me of the people that use their cruise control on icey highways... also not a good plan!

·
Registered
38 Posts
i agree 100% and only because of experience. I drove small, medium and, heavy tow truck for almost 4 years up here in Northern Ontario where the winter gets cold. Jake Brakes are over used in the winter months and lots of guys end up in the ditch.

same principle as flooring it on ice and spinning out, just instead of the tires moving faster than than the vehicles speed, they're moving slower and they cause the same thing to happen:CRY:

but if you're down south and the weather is always mint or close to it then by all means EB that girl to your hearts content :thumbsup:woot:

·
On a new learning curve!
1,053 Posts
My e brake will disengage when on ice or even if I hit a bump on a deceleration ramp that allows the rear to scoot alittle. Not sure if it is suppose to but it does. I just figured it was wired into the antilock brake sensors!

R

·
0 Posts
I'm another to agree. I never use mine on slick roads, and not sure how being ing 4 wheel drive can help the braking process. Service or exhaust.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
good points with the weather but i guess for whoever wants it on all the time that might live where they dont need to worry about ice the dealer can enable it to be on all the time from as soon as you start her up and high idle ya just have to ground one wire under the dash right behind the park brake ground the green wire on the manuals and have it enabled and ya will now have high idle i had the idle turned on for mine and it works out now that i grounded that wire. The dealer can do everything like this cause it all ran from computers.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2008 Ram 2500 QCSB, 2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
2,457 Posts
good points with the weather but i guess for whoever wants it on all the time that might live where they dont need to worry about ice the dealer can enable it to be on all the time from as soon as you start her up and high idle ya just have to ground one wire under the dash right behind the park brake ground the green wire on the manuals and have it enabled and ya will now have high idle i had the idle turned on for mine and it works out now that i grounded that wire. The dealer can do everything like this cause it all ran from computers.
Last I checked with my dealer (week ago), there was still not the option to have the EB on at startup. Star Scan has its limits, so it would seem...

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
hmmm weird stuff well my friend is the top tech at the dealer i go to and he asked me a couple times now and i have not asked i guess it just about who knows how to and who doesnt cause there are dealers that dont know how to do the high idle either and its the same way to get the eb to stay on full time. He has done it on others 6.7s though to so i know there is the way to have it engaged its the lack of knowledge of the dealer i would think.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2008 Ram 2500 QCSB, 2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
2,457 Posts
can you ask him how to, step by step, go through the process with the Star Scan? My dealer doesn't have a problem with me playing with the Star Scan when I go in there and, if I have a step through of the menu's where to enable it, I can do it myself. While you are at it, ask him if the TPMS sensors can be adjusted with regards to what psi they trigger the low pressure alarm. Thanks!

If you just want to PM me his name and number I can call him myself if you don't feel like doing the leg work.

·
HI
3,444 Posts
i agree 100%. i learned that the hard way also. i was driving our mack dump which has an engine brake and was going down a steep grade and the roads looked dry, it the engine brake and next thing i know im sideways, let off and was back straight again. it scared the :butt: out of me.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I will see if he cool with ya calling him first though or i will just ask him any how since i would see if he didnt care if ya were to call but he usually busy but i will try to getahold of him and let ya know asap man.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts