Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with a bakery that uses blocks of lard in thier industrial fryers. Can I use the waste oil from these fryers
as a fuel source?
I am trying to gather as much information on the biodiesel before putting anything in my tank.
I have read that process (using lard) is just longer and needs more heat to process and that the math is different. On the other hand, I have also read some suggesting not to use lard at all, but I can get a constant and steady supply of the stuff.
I would love to be able to make fuel for my 06 Megacab and not have to dump it for carmax's offer of $18,000. Please help, any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
or fattywagons.com

·
Registered
540 Posts
Wow, dont even deal with carmax they take advantage of you so bad. At LEAST use your truck for a trade in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks I'll look those up
has anybody here made fuel from (lard)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm might be wrong, but I think it has to be from some kind of vegatable oil. Someone chime in and correct me if im wrong.

·
4,669 Posts
if you have a good heated system then lard is ok but go read on it at burnveg dot com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the sites
is there any real experience with using used:animal fat,lard,tallow with out adding heaters to the vehicle
Please I want to get this biofuel thing going from my friend's bakery because it would be forever

·
Registered
12 Posts
On a common rail especially, I wouldn't run animal fat, even if you pre-heat it. However, you can make biodiesel from it, and then run that. You simply warm it up, melt it down, and treat it like you would vegetable oil for making biodiesel. Do a google search on "tallow biodiesel."

I might try tallow or lard directly in a 12V, provided you had one heck of a serious pre-heater setup, or a two tank heated setup. Don't let it near the pump or injectors until it's 180F+.

·
Registered
519 Posts
bio can be made from any fatty acid. You can use veg or animal fat. Several bio companies use everything to make it. Hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
18,680 Posts
that is what i like about this forum we are in fuel additives and we are talking about lard and veg oil. who else can talk about this in a vehicle?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well thanks for all the help but the bakery takes the WVO and puts it back in to there breads so now i guess i have to start the search again
i have 20 gallons of methanol 2 pounds of KOH 2 pounds of NaOH and nothing to do with it the only biodiesel made to date is 1 litre of unwashed dr.pepper I will try to wash today
trying to find reactor plans now

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Yes you can use lard to make biodiesel. My old oil source would dump the oil from the fryers and scrapings/drippings from the grill into the same barrel. Had to scoop it outta the barrel to collect it. Make sure to make it liquid, filter it to maybe 100 microns, then put it into your reactor to process. Lard or any fat that's solid at room temp makes great fuel for the summer but tends to gel up rather quick during the cooler months. Go to utahbiodieselsupplies.com or B100supply.com, Biodiesel Equipment and Supplies for kits, info, and tutorials about biodiesel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts