Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I am looking to buy a 3rd gen. . . finally. . . but now Ive got a problem. I have always run manual's but the lady wants me to get an auto (she can drive it but has trouble pulling my boat up a ramp) and i have heard that if built right autos are just as good if not better than the 6-speeds. What i am really worried about is what will need to be done so it will hold up to the smarty sr. on upper levels? the truck will eventually have turbo back 4" exhaust, aftermarket intake, etc. and gauges as soon as i buy it. I dont want to necessarily race it but i want to be able to man-up if someone starts talking smack. I cant wait to get smokin', but i need some guidance first. thanks everybody

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
either a built trans or some work to it upgrade the clutches, torque converter,valve body the list can go on. But a built auto can be better than manual if you like as well, the heavy built auto are bullet proof

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
a good converter and a valvebody will make it last alot longer but it will still puke on you, with this set up you could get away with about level7 on the smarty but thats about it. DD

·
Registered
352 Posts
First thing you need to do before you really add any fuel is to upgrade your lift pump. Adding a smarty or any other fueling mod is going to add extra stress to it as they are already pretty likely to fail. It will also starve your main pump and the lift pump will not be able to keep up. I have a glacier one, listed in my sig, but I do not know if it would be enough at lvl 9 on a smarty and I won't know until I get back from the sandbox. :thud:

btw.. :welcome:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I won't know until I get back from the sandbox. :thud:

btw.. :welcome:
:lol3: Good luck with your deployment :thumbsup and you're watched over each and everyday, Thanks!!! :thumbsup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i can do exhaust and intake soon as i get it then i need to look at gauges, smarty, and liftpump. . . then torque converter and valve body asap? there wont be too much time till the whole thing is done im gunna go ahead and do it right i just need to know the best order i could do it in. . .

·
2,247 Posts
The order I would recommend would be:
1. Gauges
2. Exhaust and Intake
3. Lift Pump
4. Built trans
5. Smarty SW#9
6. :peelout

·
Registered
136 Posts
would i need to get a new valve body and TC if it run it on SW-5?
I'm curious about that myself. I've had mine on 5 and always felt that as long as the rear's were spinning then it really couldn't hurt much. I wouldn't want to try to make it hook up though. :thud:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think i would be happy with leaving it on 5 . . . i dont tromp it all the time but i dont want to have to worry about it . . . would mildly boosted starts be ok with a VB and a TC upgrade? the only thing i ever pull is a bullet bass boat and they are light (like 1400lbs. with the motor)

·
2,247 Posts
VB and TC you could run #9, but I wouldn't really do boost launches on a stock shafts, I did and it held, only because the rest of the trans and the tc were slipping. It depends on the mileage of the trans and how it has been abused. If its got mileage, might as well step up to a built trans its only :$: :rof

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so TC, VB, and billet input shaft? . . . at what point would a new billet tranny be more cost effective? sorry for all the questions, i want this thing to last a long time, thanks for everybodys help so far!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
:welcome:

I am upgrading for the same purposes as you are. I'll be getting all those mods. TC & VB should be all we need to put someone in the dust or smoke on occasion. I'm gonna get a Goerend TC & VB. :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
so TC, VB, and billet input shaft? . . . at what point would a new billet tranny be more cost effective? sorry for all the questions, i want this thing to last a long time, thanks for everybodys help so far!
I know it is costly, but IMO, do it right the 1st time. Get a complete trans. :thumbsup

Dodge | Commins | Forum

1 - 17 of 17 Posts