Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work on an oil rig and where im at right now it would be convenient for me to sleep in my truck at night with the engine running so i could have a/c. Is this gonna hurt it or will it be ok? Im worried about cylinder wash.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I work on an oil rig and where im at right now it would be convenient for me to sleep in my truck at night with the engine running so i could have a/c. Is this gonna hurt it or will it be ok? Im worried about cylinder wash.

I wouldn't do it. Fuel will wash down the cylinders like you mentioned. You will notice the truck will actually cool down to a certain point if you let it idle to long.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That really pisses me off. A fifty thousand dollar heavy duty diesel truck and i gotta worry about it idlin to long and ruinin the engine. Ive slept in my old 350 chevrolet all night with it idlin a thousand times but my dang heavy duty cummins cant take it. Just rubs me wrong

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just get the fast idle mod and your problem is solved.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is that?

·
Registered
154 Posts
just go to a dodge dealer and they can enable the high idle software. It allows you to use the cruise control buttons to move the idle up to a maximum of 1400 rpms i believe. Raising the idle will increase cylinder temps thus allowing the engine to idle without cylinder wash.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome thanks alot

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
just go to a dodge dealer and they can enable the high idle software. It allows you to use the cruise control buttons to move the idle up to a maximum of 1400 rpms i believe. Raising the idle will increase cylinder temps thus allowing the engine to idle without cylinder wash.
What years can this be done on?
Can it be done on a 98????

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I know for a fact that the '04.5 and newer trucks can go to the dealer and have the high idle feature turned on. I had that turned on in my truck right after I got it, before I bought my new downloader. The Bully Dog Triple Dog will also enable this feature. As far as the cost at the dealer, I new a guy down there and he did it for free. I can't imagine they would charge anything, all they do is plug in a computer into the truck and enable the feature.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I forgot to mention, you turn it on and just the idle with the cruise buttons.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Does it cost anything from dodge to have them turn it on?
Yes, they treat it as diagnostics and they hit me for 70 bucks! What got me is that it took 2 minutes to do. Its worth having it done, but man its a price rip off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Call around to some dealers and see if they will charge you to do it. It just depends on the dealership, I got mine for free actually I didn't even ask them to do it they just did it and showed me how to operate it. There is no way you should get charged for it but some think they can. Also if you know (not 100% on this) someone with a smarty I believe they can enable it for you also. I am not sure if the smarty is locked for a specific vin or not.

·
Registered
249 Posts
just ask anyone with a bullydog programmer.
I have turned on several
Good Luck

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,674 Posts
anyone in south tx that can turn the high idle on for me?
i have a manual tranny, not sure if that matters,
i've read that is does and ive read that it doesnt.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
What is amazing is the fact that my service truck ,a Freightliner with a C7 Cat, has 170,000 miles on it and aprox 65 to70 % of the time is at idle. 12,000 plus hours and still in excellent shape. My proof is in the oil samples. I personally would not worry in the warmer weather, but i might give it some thought when it gets down to freezing, ex 32F.:T::w::$::butt::CRY::woot:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I didn't even have to go to the stealarship or buy a chip, got me a little piece of 2x4 looks more like a piece of 1.5x1.5 and slide it behind the pedel and can adjust it to where i like musta cost me a nickel or so for my 1998.5

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
What is amazing is the fact that my service truck ,a Freightliner with a C7 Cat, has 170,000 miles on it and aprox 65 to70 % of the time is at idle. 12,000 plus hours and still in excellent shape. My proof is in the oil samples. I personally would not worry in the warmer weather, but i might give it some thought when it gets down to freezing, ex 32F.:T::w::$::butt::CRY::woot:
Yes warmer weather will help, as would an exhaust brake which will keep your coolant temps up and increase the load to increase cylinder temps...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts