Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Can I get these rims?

2275 20
So, I was "out of town" for the past week and just before I left I "stumbled upon" these rims. I like them, I'd like them even more if they were black. I have a feeling there a bit pricey though!

I was also able to get a pic of me standing in front of "some dude's" PIMPED out limo... I guess this guy is important or something?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Hmmmm. I've seen those toys before. Maybe in the cargo hold of the C-5's that I used to be Flight Engineer on.

Don't know who that is wearing the uni-suit, though I've seen what he flies on, both the current one, and the one that won't be built now....

Those rims are splits, like the HMMWV/Hummer H1, with run-flat inserts. They do look custom, though. No CTIS.

· Skrew- EPA CARB OPEC PETA
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, those toys fit very well in a reliable C-17. And as far as the dude in a flight suit, thats me, I'm no flier (proud to say) I'm an avionics tech on executive flight helo's (whoop-de-doo).
Thanks for the rim info. CTIS would be cool but the plumbing and the system overall would be a PITA so I'm fine w/o it. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a set.

· Banned
351 Posts
Actually, those toys fit very well in a reliable C-17. And as far as the dude in a flight suit, thats me, I'm no flier (proud to say) I'm an avionics tech on executive flight helo's (whoop-de-doo).
Thanks for the rim info. CTIS would be cool but the plumbing and the system overall would be a PITA so I'm fine w/o it. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a set.

Reliable, compared to the C-5 (Fred) thats an understatement.:lol4:

1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
me like, minus the center caps of course...:party018:
:ditto: I think they'd look good powdered black w/o center caps, a nice industrial look.

· Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, the C-17's the new kid on the block, gets the shiny, pretty stuff. <grin> C-5 is complicated and getting old. Just wait till you start getting old and need maintenance. Like my truck. Always needing work.

Executive Flight Helos. Phoo. I recognize that patch. My boss has one as well. He stood at the foot of the ladder saluting. In a black dress uniform.

As for the rims, I'd look for aftermarket Hummer H1 rims. Forget the CITS, you're right, it's a real pain. And lose the run-flat inserts as well. Too much sprung weight and a real complication for mounting and balancing.

Good luck, keep it sane, don't grab the wrong wires, and if you get near Pax River, PM me.

1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sweet thanks!

· Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, the C-17's the new kid on the block, gets the shiny, pretty stuff. <grin> C-5 is complicated and getting old. Just wait till you start getting old and need maintenance. Like my truck. Always needing work.
I here you, the first A/C I was assigned to, 66-8306 back in 73-77 (Crew Chief, Travis), now is sitting in AZ now, poor baby, I remember when she flew back from overhaul, and when it hit he flight line, it went onto #1 CAN status. Always broke and no parts. When I left Travis, we had 6-7 planes on CAN status, and every plane had to fly every 15 days.

As for the wheels, look like expensive Aircraft wheels, it would be fun watching a Wal-mart tire guy try and ruin one.

Attachments

1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...As for the wheels, look like expensive Aircraft wheels, it would be fun watching a Wal-mart tire guy try and ruin one.
Nope not an aircraft rim. I zoomed in on the pic where you can barely see the writing on the rim. This is what it says:

16 x 8
DOT
HUTCHINSON USA
PAT PEND 52151
YY MM DD
07-03-09
S/N 0760

Now, If I could only find a cheap set on ebay...

1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, I started out in 01 with Bush, the re-enlisted in 06... obama wasn't even in the picture yet. My EAS is in 367 days. No, im not counting.

· Registered
25 Posts
Diesel Biker: You've been around too long. I was an FE at Dover in the '90s, started during Desert Shield. Moved to Tucson in '95. Probably saw your baby there in the boneyard. Sorry to see that happen. Several of my birds from my crew chief days at Edwards were in the boneyard as well. Sigh. The Fred's were expensive and complicated, but damn, we could do some great stuff with them that still can't be done by any other USAF craft. Cant go into everything, though....
Many of the birds at Dover spent time in CAN status as well. Especially when flying got hot and heavy. But that happened to every aircraft that I remember working with: F-15, F-16, C-5, EC-130. They build X number of planes, X+10% parts, and if you run out of parts, oh well.

Harvey4804: Yea, not counting. Right. I shuttled stuff for Bush I to South/Central America for a few weeks. Took a plane to Gen. McPeak's retirement (no public opinion submitted, would get me in trouble). Most of the rest of the stuff was trash hauling. Did a few interesting things, though. Keep your chin up. It'll be over sooner than you think. Then what? Get your A&P and fix-em? With your clearance, you can go just about anywhere.
Hutchinson tires? That's a new one. Sumpin' funny going on there. Go fig. No questions. Yea, it'd be a laugh watching Wally-world changing those out. Split-rims suck. And dangerous if not done right.

1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...Then what? Get your A&P and fix-em? With your clearance, you can go just about anywhere.
Looking into L3 Communications in San Diego. However, I'll take anything as long as I have an income!

· Registered
25 Posts
I see that you have California in your info block. I've got too many issues with Cali to recommend that for a destination. Nothing personal, my wife was born and raised there, and I spent two years at Edwards AFB. But I think that jobs may be hard to find there in the future. Check out L-3 in Texas, or maybe Raytheon Tucson. Colorado has some things there, and Texas. Of course, the East Coast is golden for DoD contractors. Depends on what you want to do.

As I've told people: If you have a clearance and a good attitude, you can go lots of (interesting) places. Military experience is a huge plus as well.

Keep your head down. A helicopter is a bunch of moving parts in close formation. Or an optical illusion with sound effects.

1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see that you have California in your info block. I've got too many issues with Cali to recommend that for a destination. Nothing personal, my wife was born and raised there, and I spent two years at Edwards AFB. But I think that jobs may be hard to find there in the future. Check out L-3 in Texas, or maybe Raytheon Tucson. Colorado has some things there, and Texas. Of course, the East Coast is golden for DoD contractors. Depends on what you want to do.
I know EXACTLY what you mean about Cali. I was stationed there for 4 years, met my fiancé there, and I have many friends that still live there. For the last 5 years I've been Trying to persuade my fiancé to move East, LOOONG story short after years of "discussions" it came down to the fact that she has a bigger family.
:doh: ...but she did agree to move to wherever I find a job, no questions asked.

1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
they do! 8 x 6.5" Bad A$$

1 - 20 of 21 Posts