Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2006. Had white smoke on startup but ran fine. Ended up being cracked rings in the #3 cylinder. Ended up pulling all the pistons, honed the cylinders and installed all new rings & bearings at 160K miles.
My truck was 10 years old when I bought it so I don't know any history on it. However there were tell tale signs it had a tuner & exhaust temp sensor previously. So guessing power levels were cranked up which may have lead to the cracked rings?

·
Registered
30 Posts
mirch, 70 ss

Did you notice lots of blowby?
Not really and no signs of any at the vent tube. However, I only drove it a few times once it started smoking. After diagnosis of cracked rings in 1 cylinder I repaired the engine right away.

·
Registered
450 Posts
mirch, 70 ss

Did you notice lots of blowby?
Blow by was there but it wasn't horrible . I seen worse before .
The clouds of unurnt fuel were really bad. You could taset it in the air. At startup I had a blanket of greyish white unburnt fuel coming from my tail pipe. As it became warm I remember it would go almost all the way away when driven but once you let it sit and idle for a few minutes it acted up again.
A compression tester will tell you everything you need to know. The more you run your engine the better chance you have of a piston ring snagging itself on the wall , or making a large gouge thats un honable if one is broken.
Cummins rates there B50 at 350k. Meaning 50% will need a major service or over haul by 350k miles.
Broken rings are a very common thing I've come to find out with the Cummins engine.
If you need help you can always pm me and I'll give you a hand. Good luck.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Blow by was there but it wasn't horrible . I seen worse before .
The clouds of unurnt fuel were really bad. You could taset it in the air. At startup I had a blanket of greyish white unburnt fuel coming from my tail pipe. As it became warm I remember it would go almost all the way away when driven but once you let it sit and idle for a few minutes it acted up again.
A compression tester will tell you everything you need to know. The more you run your engine the better chance you have of a piston ring snagging itself on the wall , or making a large gouge thats un honable if one is broken.
Cummins rates there B50 at 350k. Meaning 50% will need a major service or over haul by 350k miles.
Broken rings are a very common thing I've come to find out with the Cummins engine.
If you need help you can always pm me and I'll give you a hand. Good luck.
Thanks for the info Mrich. I was more curious than anything. I built a brand new engine last year that now has approx 8k miles on it but I have oversize injectors and they smoke white when it is cold out, not horrible but noticeable and it will do it till it warms up. It did it since day one and everyone I have talked to says oversize injectors do this. But, I need to keep this in mind if it gets worse.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thanks for the info Mrich. I was more curious than anything. I built a brand new engine last year that now has approx 8k miles on it but I have oversize injectors and they smoke white when it is cold out, not horrible but noticeable and it will do it till it warms up. It did it since day one and everyone I have talked to says oversize injectors do this. But, I need to keep this in mind if it gets worse.

I would be worried about the cylinder walls glazing over.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Put My 05 5. 9 Truck pulling our 14K lbs RV through some very HARD uphills in the Midwest with some whining and whoosing in June (165K miles).
Since then started smoking on startup/idling. Now at 167K Miles. Have run Shell Rotella T Synthetic since I bought the Truck at 36K miles and have it analyzed every oil change. A few minor / temporary analysis "issues" before the Engine got broken in about 140K miles.
My Shop thinks maybe a stuck ring. EM and Turbo are still good. They performed an injector cleaning. They changed my Synthetic Oil and I had it analyzed and nothing significant showed up...They refilled with regular oil and put Seafoam in. Suggested I put another bottle of Seafoam in 200 miles before next oil change...
Currently its still smoking on startup and idling or parking the RV. But has pulled my RV far in the flat Southeast OK - Aug/Sept. Boost never went above 22.8 either at 18/1900 RPM loafing along at 65 or even 2500 RPM when Cruise Control briefly downshifts for "hills" (Tow Haul Mode).

I assumed EM or Turbo were going bad so I bought a new BD IronHorn low end EM and Turbo kit but have yet to install them.
Wonder what time will tell....

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Put My 05 5. 9 Truck pulling our 14K lbs RV through some very HARD uphills in the Midwest with some whining and whoosing in June (165K miles).

Since then started smoking on startup/idling. Now at 167K Miles. Have run Shell Rotella T Synthetic since I bought the Truck at 36K miles and have it analyzed every oil change. A few minor / temporary analysis "issues" before the Engine got broken in about 140K miles.

My Shop thinks maybe a stuck ring. EM and Turbo are still good. They performed an injector cleaning. They changed my Synthetic Oil and I had it analyzed and nothing significant showed up...They refilled with regular oil and put Seafoam in. Suggested I put another bottle of Seafoam in 200 miles before next oil change...

Currently its still smoking on startup and idling or parking the RV. But has pulled my RV far in the flat Southeast OK - Aug/Sept. Boost never went above 22.8 either at 18/1900 RPM loafing along at 65 or even 2500 RPM when Cruise Control briefly downshifts for "hills" (Tow Haul Mode).

I assumed EM or Turbo were going bad so I bought a new BD IronHorn low end EM and Turbo kit but have yet to install them.

Wonder what time will tell....
What's EM?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
EM = Exhaust Manifold. Over a year ago mine started leaking and the shop replaced the 6 Gaskets before I realized I should have just pursued a new / improved one. Hence my recent purchase of the Iron Horn Kit from BD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old school, heavy black smoke caused by over fuel, white smoke caused by water (coolant) in cylinder being burned off at startup. Pressure test cooling system or may see bubbles in radiator also may have a pressure in cooling system run engine w/pressure tester on radiator to see if pressure builds on tester gauge. You are looking for coolant getting into a cylinder through a bad head gasket or a injector sleeve. I am not quite sure if this engine has sleeves or not. As I stated earlier old school white smoke is a signal that coolant is being burned at start up. Leaks in over night. Not good for cylinder lubrication.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts