Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im replacing the timing case gasket and it requires the removal of the camshaft. This is my first time doing something like this to a 12 valve so I had a few questions. Is the fuel pump timed? Should I mark a spot on the gear to keep it in the same time because there was no timing marks on the fuel pump gear. Also is there anything I need to know about removing the camshaft? To my knowledge you have to remove the two bolts on the retainer and the cam should come out, I didn’t know if there were any other precautions other than making sure the tappets don’t fall into the pan. And lastly is there anything I should know about reinstalling the cam (obviously I know it has to be in time). I’m new to this as this is my first big project on a 12 valve so any suggestions are welcome!

·
Premium Member
2,296 Posts
Search through the forum and on Google. I know there’s an extensive write up somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,837 Posts
The injection pump is timed and there isn't a way to "mark" the gear. It's best to put the engine at TDC using the marks on the cam and crank gears so when you do time the pump the process will take less time. Don't forget to remove the lift pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts