Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Second Most Important Member
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
keven, since you have both the smarty and the xrt i would like to hear of your results. both factual and opinion are welcome. also do you have any info on them such as options, functions blah blah blah. make me a sales pitch. thanks.............. anybody else who IS running both programmers should also post. all info is appreciated

·
Registered
66 Posts
:ditto: I would also like to hear both sides from someone who has run both. And do both the Smarty and XRT need homemade exhaust sims? Thanks for the input :headbang:

·
Premium Member
10,421 Posts
The XRT comes with sims. The Smarty does not require them but you can use them.

James
RSD

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Smart is $114 cheaper. That is about all the info I have since there isn't a Smarty for the CC yet :banghead:

·
Registered
468 Posts
this is what ive been waiting for lets hear it

·
Registered
88 Posts
Kev doesnt have his new truck yet :doh: so we haven't tried the Smarty yet.

I'm loving the 120 tune on my XRT though! Smooth power and code free :headbang:

·
Smells like Bananas
7,247 Posts
If anybody that has both compare the smarty on the 130hp tune.

Mrs. K2, ummm that picture is not going to work, I have plenty of pictures to pass on if your google search is broken.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
If anybody that has both compare the smarty on the 130hp tune.

Mrs. K2, ummm that picture is not going to work, I have plenty of pictures to pass on if your google search is broken.
It's better than the one she was using...

You're right though, the 130 tune would need to be used to compare them until the 175 tune for the XRT is ready.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey James, If the smarty doesn't require the sims, can you just zip tie the sensors out of the way and forget about them? :confused013: If so, I have a 5 inch TBE from my 5.9 that should work. Or is there something special that has to be done that prevents a 5.9 exhaust from being used?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Hey James, If the smarty doesn't require the sims, can you just zip tie the sensors out of the way and forget about them? :confused013: If so, I have a 5 inch TBE from my 5.9 that should work. Or is there something special that has to be done that prevents a 5.9 exhaust from being used?
That's correct, you can just zip tie the sensors out of the way. You can use any 5.9 exhaust as long as it is for an 04.5+.

·
Premium Member
10,421 Posts
You are good to go bro :thumbsup:

James
RSD

·
Kansas Cummins Crew
761 Posts
Hoping to buy one soon...:drool2: Till then, I'm gonna listen...

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,060 Posts
I have run both on my truck, granted i just got the smarty today and have much more to try. For smooth power at this point i am going to vote XRT. I am getting some crazy noises so far with my Smarty. I have a few things to try yet though.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
Yeah, to avoid the crazy noises, you'll most likely need to play around with the timing on the programmer, my truck makes some wicked noises if I get the timing settings to far out of whack one way or another.

·
Second Most Important Member
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
comp, keep us in the loop. im sure im not the only guy on the fence about the xrt or the smarty, keeping price out of it. looking for the overall best piece to buy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm also on the fence. For those of you that have tried both which would you say has the best low end power?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,060 Posts
Well i just posted in another thread, Timing must be turned to stock with my setup. Other then that its OK. I am not super impressed at this time. For simplicity alone i would lean towards the XRT. It was plug in and go. No CELs, No Timing issues and fair power, About even with the Edge with hot unlock. Smarty maybe feels a little stronger but for me i dont think its where i was with the PMT as far as power wise. When i get on a dyno i can see for sure. It makes a bit of smoke when i hit it hard but none otherwise. I am guessing it only puts me at 650-675. Short and Skinny of it is the jury is still out. Not 100% satisfied, yet.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
This makes pretty good sense, in the original 5.9 manual they said that the larger injectors have the effect of advancing timing anyway. 120's are pretty large so I could see it possible that you are getting some rattle with the other settings.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts