Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a 04 2500 HO with an automatic but I have been told this truck was built for california emissions standards? I am curious if anyone knows whether or not this is a bad thing? I would assume it would affect the performance in some degree due to the strict emissions standrds? I have been told its just an additional O2 sensor after the Cat in the exhaust? any comments comcerns? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
:welcome:

The California emissions trucks are 235/460 trucks prior to 04.5. In 2004.5 the 600 series was 50 state legal. They have a cat...I think. But other then that they are mostly the same. I would not worry.:thumbsup

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
nothing to worry about..their is a guy making 1289 hp out of his california emission truck!!and I THINK he has the most hp cummins

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
yeah its like the new ones,THEY HAVE 3 CAT's in them when i seen one at the shop taken off..it was blue-tec $hit lol..anybody want blue diesel haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will there be any mileage changes due to this restriction? anyone running this set up now please let me know. the vin number report tells me it has the california restrictions for sure, just want to make sure I will not lose mileage or have any repair issues. thank you.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Do not worry about it being a CA emissions truck. I have one... Get a Smarty and you play at the same HP as everyone else... The biggest differences are the cat and a detuned ECM... there is no O2 sensor as described. The Smarty will Re-tune the ECM to HO levels and then some... the Cat just doesn't make that much of a difference... in the plus side, you will find the best fuel mileage with these trucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your responses, soulezoo what type of mileage difference will I see in a california emissioned truck do you think? what are you getting in yours? also someone mentioned blue-tec? not sure what that is? any help? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
also someone mentioned blue-tec? not sure what that is? any help? Thank you.
Blue-tec was one of the last ventures of the now dead Daimler-Chrysler. It was a diesel emissions control system which did not really start until 2006 I think. I don't think any Cummins got the blue-tec badge.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
there is alot of blue tec badged cummins out in california!i was about to buy another mega cab and it had one too.im getting 600 on a take with the smarty,intake,flowmaster, and Glacier pump.though i abuse my truck,so you might get better

·
Registered
35 Posts
The BlueTec, like said earlier is a DaimlerChrysler exhaust treatment technology. The system sprays urea into the exhaust to further reduce emissions. I believe this system will be in all the Cummins in order to meet the 2010 emissions standards. Some of the BlueTec trucks have been floating around, and I've seen them at car shows, but I'm pretty sure all the Cummins for 2010 will be BlueTec. This system is used in Mercedes Benz cars now (E320 Bluetec) and will be in all the diesels that will be showing up here in the next few years (including the Big 3 diesels)

Russell

1 - 12 of 12 Posts