Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some tuning with hpt and trying some different configs on my 04.5.

Specs-
Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm.83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing, T4 manifold, 50hp bms injectors, arp studs mostly stock on rest of motor with 249k miles.

I have a bd cai that i have tried opened up, closed, and off completely. Im testing at 10k ft elevation at about 50f to 80f temps. I found that at wot i can get about 5psi more boost and a little less smoke with the entire box removed. It does not seem to affect iat enclosed or completely open. Spool up is a slight bit quicker as well with box removed. The only thing that sucks is that there is so much turbo noise with it off.

Anyone else have similar findings? Ideas on keeping optimal airflow while reducing noise?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have a custom CAI, made a shield for it last summer playing around some. Imagine if you made one that seals to the hood well and put some sound deadener on the back and underside of the hood you might be able to quiet the turbo down some while not restricting your intake. Mine was stupid loud with the blend door broken where I didn't have a blend door lol.

I found with the shield I ran about 8-10* over ambient, without it I run about 20* over ambient. Temp at the MAP sensor is within 1-2* either way so not sure it mattered at all honestly.

I built my intake on purpose to make the turbo as loud as possible, so I don't quite get wanting to make it quieter. :)

Reactions: dsldude

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
I have a custom CAI, made a shield for it last summer playing around some. Imagine if you made one that seals to the hood well and put some sound deadener on the back and underside of the hood you might be able to quiet the turbo down some while not restricting your intake. Mine was stupid loud with the blend door broken where I didn't have a blend door lol.

I found with the shield I ran about 8-10* over ambient, without it I run about 20* over ambient. Temp at the MAP sensor is within 1-2* either way so not sure it mattered at all honestly.

I built my intake on purpose to make the turbo as loud as possible, so I don't quite get wanting to make it quieter. :)
Only if you want to hear later in life.:cool:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Ha. Well, when im hauling my truck camper over many mountain passes for many hours, it wears on us. I can't imagine how the dog feels with his big ears.

·
Registered
601 Posts
10k elevation is kinda not a thing most people use as a reference when it comes to boost. Of course the truck will make more boost and make more noise with no intake on but then you all filtration which I am sure you know. Kinda hard to find a middle ground with filtration and flow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts