Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Cab Swap Options

2396 7
Hello everyone! I am hoping someone can give me a solution to my current situation. I have a 1992 250 Cummins Ram 4x4 pickup w/auto trans that we have had in our family since new. I live on the east coast and the salt has taken a toll on it as the roof is rotted out and the floor is gone on the driver side.

We own a body shop and ordered hi a cab from AZ to swap out. The cab is here and is mint however it is from a 2wd truck and the trans tunnel is much narrower. I have seen some research online about swapping the trans tunnel to fit the differential, which I can do but would love to not cut the new floor up if I can avoid it. What have you guys done in this situation and can a slight body lift clear the differential and transfer case? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
How much smaller is it ? All I do is swap's and all I have ever had to do is just cut the floor for shifter and thing's have worked fine .I would say you should be fine .that would save another spot for Rust to collect.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you want a large trans tunnel for your cab, I just got done doing a cab swap on my 1991.5, 4x4 stick shift truck. It's got good floors and large trans tunnel. Don't know where you are at but it's available.

Enjoy the day...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thanks! I'm just going by how it looks visually, and the good cab I found was from an 85 ram 2wd, going onto our 92 ram 4wd. So far everything else matches and will work. Have you done such a swap? Our 92 cab has a taller tunnel in it compared to the donor one, but it may still fit OK it sounds like?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yes, I have done swaps in the past, that have required to cut out the tunnel from a 2wd Auto and replace it with one from a 4x4.
Just like you the replacement truck cab, was a 2wd auto truck....:thumbsup:
The replacement I just got done doing, was rusted out over the windshield, but the floor pans and tunnel are nice.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
The 85 tunnel is a Little Lower but will still work why go to the Hassel of trying to cut the floor out .Just bolt the Cab onto Frame and start putting it together . it's not going to make a big diference .

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
I know a fellow who has a 2wd cab on a 4x4 chevy. When the swap was done to avoid cutting the tunnel out the cab got a 2"-4" lift instead. It is to high getting in and out for me but that is an option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys thank you and I just wanted to give you an update. The cab did fit on the frame, however since I would have to cut the floor for the shifter anyway, I used a good section of the old trans tunnel with the shifter slot, and cut and welded it in. I fabricated the driver side of the tunnel to flow into that side floor pan, and I'm happy with the results. The hump very closely resembles the factory dimensions.

I have a lot of great pics I think you guys would like to see on the progress. I need to find time to upload them. The trucks frame has been sandblasted and sprayed, and the front brakes, rear brakes, front leaf springs, and front and rear shocks all replaced.

The cab is ready for primer, and I used SEM protex on the cab floor after painting the inside roof and pillars of the cab matador red. We are having a pre-fabbed aluminum utility flat bed body put on the rear, so that gives us time to spend on the cab. We own a body shop, but being that its not a customers car we have been working on it in the evenings. I have some tricks i am trying to prevent the infamous cab roof rust from ever damaging this replacement cab that plagues these trucks so ill try and post some pics of that too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.