Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finaly got around to puting my oem cab lights on. after looking at it and seeing it out in the sun during the day i think it would look nicer if they were smokr coloded instead of amber being i have chrome on everything else. does anyone make just the covers, would also like to go to led bulbs if i do the smoked and how bright will they be compared to the stock ones?

· Banned
1,009 Posts
I bought this lens tint spray. The guy at Mopac swears by it. That and a can of clear coat. I have not done it yet but I am planning on trying it soon. Will let you know how it turns out. I know it's not as cool as the led ones but I am a cheap SOB :hehe:

· Pursuing the Great Commission
12,712 Posts
here are my cheap ebay ones. I swapped out the LED bulbs for regular incandescents because I didn't like the way the LEDs looked on mine :thumbsup:

· 06 Cummins
1,598 Posts
Let me begin by saying that I think the smoked lenses are a very attractive addition/mod and they do enhance the overall appearance of our trucks.

I considered doing the 'smoked' mod to my lights UNTIL I took the time to read some of the DOT regs regarding clearance lights. The DOT is specific about the lenses being amber.

There HAVE been guys who HAVE gotten tickets for lenses being 'other than' amber and also for clear lenses and bulbs being 'other than' amber. In reading threads regarding the DOT and tickets/fines that have been issued, I recall someone also brought up the radiant lumens aspect of clearance illumination, and that the smoked lenses diffuse the radiance. I have not taken the time to verify there is some reg regarding the lumens, but I would suppose it probably does exist as well. There IS however a reg that discusses the minimum amount of square inches a clearance light must comply with, and the size of our stock lenses complies with that spec - that's why it HAS a DOT number associated with and molded into the lens itself.

Having said all of that stuff, I personally chose not to change my factory clearance lights to another style and coloration. And IF I was considering adding clearance lights to the cab I would surely look at installing the factory ones only because they actually exist for a DOT specified purpose. They are there to let oncoming persons/traffic know that you are towing an object that is 8 foot wide, or possibly wider to the max of 102"s.

CD

· Registered
256 Posts
Let me begin by saying that I think the smoked lenses are a very attractive addition/mod and they do enhance the overall appearance of our trucks.

I considered doing the 'smoked' mod to my lights UNTIL I took the time to read some of the DOT regs regarding clearance lights. The DOT is specific about the lenses being amber.

There HAVE been guys who HAVE gotten tickets for lenses being 'other than' amber and also for clear lenses and bulbs being 'other than' amber. In reading threads regarding the DOT and tickets/fines that have been issued, I recall someone also brought up the radiant lumens aspect of clearance illumination, and that the smoked lenses diffuse the radiance. I have not taken the time to verify there is some reg regarding the lumens, but I would suppose it probably does exist as well. There IS however a reg that discusses the minimum amount of square inches a clearance light must comply with, and the size of our stock lenses complies with that spec - that's why it HAS a DOT number associated with and molded into the lens itself.

Having said all of that stuff, I personally chose not to change my factory clearance lights to another style and coloration. And IF I was considering adding clearance lights to the cab I would surely look at installing the factory ones only because they actually exist for a DOT specified purpose. They are there to let oncoming persons/traffic know that you are towing an object that is 8 foot wide, or possibly wider to the max of 102"s.

CD
Why do they come on when you're not towing then?? Who has gotten a ticket from this? Did they bother to fight the ticket? I find this DOT regulation ridiculous and I would fight it in court if some silly cop gave me a ticket for it...Does the average person even know what clearance lights are for? Does the average COP know what clearance lights are for? I'm going to ask around randomly, but I think I have my answer already for those last 2 questions.

Edit: BTW that was not an attack on you by any means, I know it sounded angry. But I find this ridiculous. For people like you, who don't want to put smoked lights on for fear of legal issues, for something that wouldn't even cause an issue. I mean, for big rigs and commercial vehicles I understand...but not for a factory 3/4 or 1-ton pickup...that's ridiculous.

Edit, Edit: Recon has this claim on their website too..."All RECON products are SAE & DOT approved for street use"

· 06 Cummins
1,598 Posts
In most instances, it is the FED DOT who is tightening down on these lights and existing regulations. Most all the DOT checks are setup along major highways, and it is the DOT's privledge to wave you into their checks and unfortunately you must comply with the DOT laws whether you like them or not. Many state DOT are also getting into the game with roadside inspections, my state, New Mexico is one of them. All this adds up to you being legal and also revenue. I will not speculate what their real purpose is, but I am sure SAFETY goes a long way into this picture. Lighting falls under safety.

I drive a 1-ton, the clearance lights came as standard equipment on my truck. In 2006 there were some factory ERRORS and some 1-tons did not have the lights - Chrysler actually had a recall to get them installed on the 1-tons - they are a build requirement to be able to even sell a 1-ton in the US.

I can speculate answers to your questions - the lights come on because it is a law that they do regardless of whether your are towing or not, it TELLS how a truck is equipped with respect to weight capacities, etc. I am old enough (gasp on that admission) and recall a time when cab lights were actually switched seperately in semi trucks, maybe those guys only turned them on when towing wide loads, the cabs them were narrower than those of today.

As far as who has gotten tickets, plenty of people have gotten tickets, there ARE dicussions about tickets on all the truck forums, there are also a lot of discussions about changes in laws that occur every year with respect to towing, etc, you might want to find them and get familiar with them.

I could go on to tell you that the DOT does not care whether YOU find their laws rediculous or not - their laws ARE the law and it's federal laws, you will quickly find that you can't fight city hall and compliance is mandatory to travel on our federally funded roads - and also note, there is not a public road in America that does not have fed funds in them, even gravel roads have a percentage of fed funds.

It is your mode of fuel - DIESEL - that really distinguishes you from other gas 3/4 and 1-ton trucks, combined with your weight class and plate class. Like it or not, we DO have to comply, the manufacturers of our trucks have to comply before they even sell a 1-ton. For years, the Fed DOT's, the StateDOT's, even the State and Local police have looked the other way with regard to a lot of stuff because more and more people became drivers of trucks for non-commercial purposes. I think those days are now over, and there IS a significant push to get everyone compliant with the basic laws.

I was just trying to fore-warn people, not start a debate. My truck IS legal, nothing else for me to consider, I have been waived into a couple DOT checks and passed their scrutiny, no warnings, no tickets,no fines to pay - and most of all I have not been red tagged and forced to park my truck until the problem is fixed and signed off with an evern more scrutinized level of inspection. I have seen people towing loads down the road that exceed their basic drivers license class, and some of them HAVE also been waived into these DOT checks, and their vehicles were parked until someone with the appropriate class of DL was put behind the wheel and legal to proceed. The average DL issued from every state covers people driving a max of 3-axle combination and a tow of less than 10K. Think of it this way - you already drive a vehicle with what is considered 2 axles, how many axles can you legally tow behind the first two?? And as I said earlier, the DOT's and police have basically ignored that basic law associated to your DL, but now, they need revenue, will they continue?? ALL this goes beyond the basis of this thread, but it is food for thought, and good food at that when it comes to your travels.

Again, I was just giving out/stating information that IS applicable.

CD

· Registered
256 Posts
I drive a 1-ton, the clearance lights came as standard equipment on my truck. In 2006 there were some factory ERRORS and some 1-tons did not have the lights - Chrysler actually had a recall to get them installed on the 1-tons - they are a build requirement to be able to even sell a 1-ton in the US.
Did not know that!

I was just trying to fore-warn people, not start a debate.
haha but I like to debate!!

The average DL issued from every state covers people driving a max of 3-axle combination and a tow of less than 10K. Think of it this way - you already drive a vehicle with what is considered 2 axles, how many axles can you legally tow behind the first two??
Really?! So that means it's technically illegal for me to tow my two-axle boat trailer? I feel like this is a situation where laws are outdated and need to be updated and not used as a source of revenue. It's truly a shame that our taxes, and toll-roads are not enough.

Again, I was just giving out/stating information that IS applicable.
All good info!! Thanks!

Sorry to hijack and get OT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.