Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed a while ago on the passenger side of my truck it leaks water there is no water anywhere above the floor mat its not wet just in the middle of the floor mat is the only spot that gets wet......... does anyone elses truck do this? :doh:

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
Very common for a leak from the center cab top brake light to end up with water on the passenger floor.
Buy a new gasket from the dealer or just seal it with silicone caulking.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My truck does the same thing. The front passenger side floorboard gets soaked, under the mat. Thought it was something to do with condensation in the a/c, never really checked it when I run the heater. That could be where all my antifreeze is goin. :confused013: What's the best way to find out if it's the heater core or somethin else? I never sit on that side and my kids aren't big enough to reach the floor so I don't really think about it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My truck does the same thing. The front passenger side floorboard gets soaked, under the mat. Thought it was something to do with condensation in the a/c, never really checked it when I run the heater. That could be where all my antifreeze is goin. :confused013: What's the best way to find out if it's the heater core or somethin else? I never sit on that side and my kids aren't big enough to reach the floor so I don't really think about it.
The main symptoms are coolant UNDER the carpet on the passenger side floorboard (smell it), and sometimes a film on the inside of the windshield..Neither of which necessarily occur all of the time.

You could do a pressure test on the system if the heater core isn't looking like the culprit. Most auto stores will rent you the tools and it's pretty simple.

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
Windshields can also leak. You should be able to see a water line from wherever it is leaking from especially when it is raining hard. You can simulate that with a garden hose and a friend outside and you inside looking for leaks.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
you can put your finger in it and just barely lick your finger and taste it. if its coolant it will taste really really i mean really sweet or sour. if its water... well it will taste like water. those are really the only 2 it can be....

DONT GO DRINKING COOLANT NOW!!!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
You say you noticed a while ago, so I would guess it was most likely hot outside then. The drain for the AC is known to also wet the passenger carpet. I chased the wet carpet issue for over a year before I found it. The pipe the water drains out lets most drip down, but some will run back on the underside of the pipe and straight into the cab on on the carpet. To fix I put a little short piece of clear tubing over the drain pipe, a small hose clamp and now all the water drips out and down like it should. Just make sure the little piece of pipe angles down a hair.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes the ac drain was my problem I just went to the parts store bought a foot of 5/8 hose and put it over the ac drain tube and no more wet carpet I found that solution on this forum good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for the help and input guys but i never hardly ever use the a/c and same with heat i noticed it after a rainy day and i was sittin there talking to a girl and got up my a$$ was soaked ha atleast she thought it was funny but there is no water trail thats what i dont get thats why its hard to figure it out because its only wet right there and there is no water trail leading to it its like magic it just appears there... but to the guy who said about the back third brake light wouldnt under my back seat get wet too??:banghead: but yes i have been wanting to simulate it and see where its comin from.... and its not my heater core because its not at the top of the mat that is dry it is only in the center under the floor mat.... please help me any other ideas or same scenarios?

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
A/C runs in the defrost mode.

There are channels that the water from the thrid brake light leak flow down to the passenger side floor.
The back hardly gets wet.

Easy way to find cab leaks is to tape over the exhaust vents at the bottom rear of the door frames.
Turn the fan on high. This will pressurize the cab so you can use soapy water on the outside of the cab to find leaks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is a thicker piece of insulation on the pass side floor board and it doesn't feel wet up near the dash just put the hose over the ac drain its less than $10 and it won't hurt having it there

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A/C runs in the defrost mode.

There are channels that the water from the thrid brake light leak flow down to the passenger side floor.
The back hardly gets wet.

Easy way to find cab leaks is to tape over the exhaust vents at the bottom rear of the door frames.
Turn the fan on high. This will pressurize the cab so you can use soapy water on the outside of the cab to find leaks.
Thank you atleast somebody besides me knows that the defost also runs the ac compressor..... but ok thank you i will try your idea of pressurizing the cab thank you for your help everyone... its just weird because my driver side stays dry :doh: THANK YOU AGAIN FOR EVERYONE GIVING YOU IMPUT...

and also changing the subject a little bit just outta curiosity if your runnin 370s could it cause you to blow white smoke for a while when your driving it if you let the truck sit

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea i no that my buddies smokes pretty good

·
Registered
556 Posts
I had the exact same problem. The passenger carpet was soaked, and no trail or drips. It turns out it was as simple as the dam weather stripping that runs above the door on the truck. The rubber stripping is held on by a metal track. You can slide the stripping back and forth, which is what got me frustrated. I slid the stripping foreword and it still leaked:banghead:
Solution= I gorilla-glued the stripping in place and it had been dry as a bone ever since :thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had the exact same problem. The passenger carpet was soaked, and no trail or drips. It turns out it was as simple as the dam weather stripping that runs above the door on the truck. The rubber stripping is held on by a metal track. You can slide the stripping back and forth, which is what got me frustrated. I slid the stripping foreword and it still leaked:banghead:
Solution= I gorilla-glued the stripping in place and it had been dry as a bone ever since :thumbsup:
yea man i noticed that too i tried sliding it forward and sliding it back on the track and it still leaks im gonna try this as well thanks buddy and if that truck as your avatar is yours nice truck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
556 Posts
glad I could help. And yes that is my truck in the avatar, ditto on the compliment. :headbang: And also make sure the stripping is actually in the track, I had to use a Flathead screwdriver to pry the driver side in. Another thing is when you close your door make sure there's good compression in the seals.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks buddy :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
my truck does the same thing, expect that its leaking from the srs plastic cover in the center of the dash hope somebody's knows what i am talking about, then it runs down to the passenger side only when we have a down pour its driving me crazy right now

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.