Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a ton of post on removing the air intake baffle and installing a 5.9L air filter. So this evening I decided to try it with and without the baffle and with both filters on my C/C. Below is my finding so judge for yourself.

No other mods done at the time of test.

1: Noise from one filter to the next.

Not any difference with windows up or down.

2: Noise without the baffle with both filters.

Maybe a small amount of noise increase but not that noticeable.

3: LBS. of boost per gear (manual trans) with baffle .

2nd gear 25 lbs. avg.
3rd gear 27 lbs. avg.
4th gear 26 lbs. avg.
5th gear 25 lbs. avg.
6th gear 25 lbs. avg.

No difference with either filter.

4: LBS. of boost per gear without baffle.

2nd gear 24 lbs. avg.
3rd gear 25 lbs. avg.
4th gear 24 lbs. avg.
5th gear 24 lbs. avg.
6th gear 24 lbs. avg.

I'm not saying every truck will have the same results as mine so keep that in mind. My findings may be due to the truck being a C/C model. Just thought I would pass this on to everyone.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wow thats pretty interesting, i have mine out not really to much of a difference. Maybe i should just put it back in.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Air Baffle

Wow thats pretty interesting, i have mine out not really to much of a difference. Maybe i should just put it back in.
Guys, unfortunately I would recommend putting it back in. The foam helps insulate the air from the manifold/EGR cooler. Just feel how hot the outside of the intake is after you run it down the road a while. I firmly believe that the foams helps insulate it. I have the S&B intake, but the tube is so hot in that area i am not sure if I am gaining anything.

:thud:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Not the thread steal but JR. is that a combine flipped off a trailer?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, unfortunately I would recommend putting it back in. The foam helps insulate the air from the manifold/EGR cooler. Just feel how hot the outside of the intake is after you run it down the road a while. I firmly believe that the foams helps insulate it. I have the S&B intake, but the tube is so hot in that area i am not sure if I am gaining anything.

:thud:
JR. Is there any way you could put the stock tube back in place between the CA Box and the turbo. I'm curious to see if that would make a difference.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for the info JR, appreciate it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey guys, just so that yall know, i installed my baffle back in place and seems my truck has a little more jump but not much. I have noticed 4 days approximately, after installation the i have lost about 1mpg. In town my overhead will usually read at and average of 15.8 to 16. now it has dropped to an average of 14.8. Just so yall know

·
Registered
475 Posts
I lost 1-3 mpg without the baffle, liked the turbo sound too much I guess. I think the mpg loss was due to that but makes sense having cooler intake temp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts