Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here use bypass oil filter if so which one I'm looking at getting the amsoil bypass system

·
Registered
201 Posts
There amazing, makes oil changes last way longer

2003 QCLB DRW, 5.9, auto,4X4, firestone airbags

·
Registered
535 Posts
I just put one in from oil charger systems. Price was great, comes with an Amsoil filter and super easy to install.

·
Registered
202 Posts
just put an amsoil unit on mine that i got dirt cheap from a co worker. There are a couple different ones you can put on, but imo they are definitely worth it. I just mounted mine in the engine bay on passenger side so it wouldnt get covered in salt.

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
I like the braided SS lines there ^^^^^.

The Amsoil BMK-21 was the first mod I put on my truck (well besides wheels and tires). I love only having to do one oil change per year.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
You can put them anywhere you have room in the engine bay , but orientation is key . Mounting the unit vertically will give you better results . Varying away from the vertical axis , the unit become less efficient . Here is my amsoil setup , less the filter .

I had a custom bracket made for mine .

Good luck with your setup , which ever way you go . Brian :thumbsup:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I like the braided SS lines there ^^^^^.

The Amsoil BMK-21 was the first mod I put on my truck (well besides wheels and tires). I love only having to do one oil change per year.
Thanks man, they're coated too. I like the bracket Mega B has but for the $$, I couldn't beat it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
What does it do different than the stock unit?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I tried the Amsoil....it was pricey and so were the filters, I did a UOA on it with very good results

I changed to a Baldwin B50 unit, I change every other oil change and my UOA's are very similar as Amsoil

Everyone has thier own preferance...That is what I chose, use what is within your budget and is convienant

·
Premium Member
12,050 Posts
And they extend the life by how much??? 000000
The filtering system on unit is more than adequate for engine to last 1,000,000 miles.
A good quality filter will go the same milage. Or change the filter half way through to extended oil change is you must. Or use a Fleetguard LF9028 with bypass filtering built in.
No extra extenal hoses, ect to fail and no ugly abortion stuck on filler cap. UGH. JMHO of course and everyone is free to waste his hard earned money as sees fit.
It's all for bragging rights anyway.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The filtering system on unit is more than adequate for engine to last 1,000,000 miles.
A good quality filter will go the same milage. Or change the filter half way through to extended oil change is you must. Or use a Fleetguard LF9028 with bypass filtering built in.
No extra extenal hoses, ect to fail and no ugly abortion stuck on filler cap. UGH. JMHO of course and everyone is free to waste his hard earned money as sees fit.
If a couple hundred bucks give some folks that little extra piece of mind, have at it. People take fuel filtration very seriously on here so why not try oil filtration as well?

·
Registered
201 Posts
If a couple hundred bucks give some folks that little extra piece of mind, have at it. People take fuel filtration very seriously on here so why not try oil filtration as well?

Agree and if you have both it's good peace of mind

2003 QCLB DRW, 5.9, auto,4X4, firestone airbags

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I have a fass fuel air separation system titanium system I have had fuel problems in the past on my freightliner the oil bypass systems I have had on big trucks but I wasn't sure how well they do in the cummins I don't like how they return the oil to the oil filler cap

·
Registered
213 Posts
Your extensive research has convinced me.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes I have a fass fuel air separation system titanium system I have had fuel problems in the past on my freightliner the oil bypass systems I have had on big trucks but I wasn't sure how well they do in the cummins I don't like how they return the oil to the oil filler cap
I personally like the way the return goes into the cap. A little bling, some nice, freshly filtered, wholesome, zesty oil flowing into my thirsty valve cover. Mmmmm

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just don't know, I don't think I want to make any change when I can slip on a Donaldson Endurance ELF-7349 that's a full flow filter with performance, greater efficiency, capacity and flow. They're 98.7 percent efficient when faced with 15 micron contaminants, and they are 50 percent efficient when faced with seven micron contaminants. The smallest particle that can be seen with the naked eye is around 40 microns.

The price of the Amsoil one micron filter will almost pay for an extra oil change.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
:agree2: Whats the difference in adding the bypass, or simply putting a good quality fill flow filter on it, and changing it every 5K - 7.5K miles, of youre that worried about it? Mileage isnt the only thing to consider on oil... age kills oil also. I only put about 15K miles/yr on my truck, so there is now way Id go 30K miles or more on an oil change. A year is plenty long enough to me, to have any oil in the truck. I change my synthetic 15K miles, and change the oil filter every 5K and fuel filter every 7.5K miles. So, my oil filters get changed about every 4 months and fuel filter every 6 months. Im not going to cut anyone down for installing a bypass... its your money. I see no "need" for it though :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 132 Posts