Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum because I'm in the process of buying a 3500. Here's the question I can get a 2003 with 118,000 miles for $1000 more than a 2005 with 220,000 miles. All the options and everything are pretty much the same which one would you consider the best buy? Both are under $11k and both are manuals

·
Registered
60 Posts
First off, it's Cummins...no 'g' on the end. Second, I'd steer clear of a manual. I bought an 03 with an NV5600 and it's been a pretty costly pain in the behind. Not sure about the 05's, I think they still used the NV5600. These tranny's have not been made in a while and parts are scarce, or so I'm told. I don't know if Dodge has ever put a manual shift behind the Cummins that was any good. Just my 2 cents. I'd look for an auto.

·
Registered
123 Posts
other then the stock clutch not holding up i haven't had any problems out of my nv 5600, but i would go with the '03 b/c of the lower miles. if the trucks are in good shape its pretty good deal at under 11k

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
First off, it's Cummins...no 'g' on the end. Second, I'd steer clear of a manual. I bought an 03 with an NV5600 and it's been a pretty costly pain in the behind. Not sure about the 05's, I think they still used the NV5600. These tranny's have not been made in a while and parts are scarce, or so I'm told. I don't know if Dodge has ever put a manual shift behind the Cummins that was any good. Just my 2 cents. I'd look for an auto.
:ditto: I can't agree more. If a guy could get parts for them I would recomend the manual, but the 5600 parts have not been in production for about 2 years now... G56 is latest and greatest manual... The auto you can build to do anything you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts