Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone,

Im going today to look at a 99 Dodge Ram 24V, 216K on the clock.

I’m fairly new to the diesel game, I’m studying gas engines/cars at my community college, so by no means am I a rookie at anything that has an engine. Just not 100% positive on the diesel slang and terms/inner workings.

Here’s what the truck says has done to it:
New automatic trans with billet converter done at 170K miles, New VP44, 125hp 2 honed injectors(not entirely sure what this means), FASS fuel 150 lift pump, quadzilla adrenaline Tuner, SB intake, 5” exhaust and lastly some glow shift gauges, trans temp, fuel pressure, egt, and boost.

It has a cracked exhaust manifold, pretty bad and will need trailered to my home town. Not sure if this has any negative impacts other than blowing smoke due to low boost. Says has a small power steering leak and will need ball joints in the future.

I think for the price he’s asking ($5500) it’s a steal, based on how I see similar modded trucks going for $8K +.

I will look out for the 53 block, but not sure where to find it exactly.

Let me know thoughts/ suggestions, thanks !

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Be ready to dump some money into the front end.
The 2nd gen trucks steer like a cattle wagon on the highway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be ready to dump some money into the front end.
The 2nd gen trucks steer like a cattle wagon on the highway.
The person who’s selling it said the whole front end had been rebuilt at 189K, not sure why it would need ball joints so soon?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The person who’s selling it said the whole front end had been rebuilt at 189K, not sure why it would need ball joints so soon?
Because it was probably rebuilt with stock components that are garbage from the factory.

Upgrade the Tie rods to the "T" style system.

Upgrade the trackbar to a 2003+ style.

Get a steering box brace, the c channel frame has a lot of flex that wears down the steering box.

Stock ball joints are junk, look at Dynatrac or EMF.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because it was probably rebuilt with stock components that are garbage from the factory.

Upgrade the Tie rods to the "T" style system.

Upgrade the trackbar to a 2003+ style.

Get a steering box brace, the c channel frame has a lot of flex that wears down the steering box.

Stock ball joints are junk, look at Dynatrac or EMF.
Sounds good, I’ll look into such things once the trucks in my possession. Any concerns about the mods done to it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thats a good deal if it all checks out. That truck would go double that where I live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Congrats on your truck!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Great deal, IMO. Welcome to the world of working on your own truck or pay out the wazoo for it. I noted you said you were studying gasoline engines. Good knowledge, but this is a completely different jungle. I think you'll do good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello again everyone, I was just pulling the truck into my garage and I noticed I’m getting 10psi of fuel pressure at idle. It has a fass lift pump, so I figured that should be supplying it with more than enough fuel. Fuel filters look old, so that’ll be the first thing I’ll replace. What should a fass pump be outputting ? 15-20psi?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts