Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mileage is listed at just under 300K. What are good things to refresh or check records that have been refreshed at this age?

So far, there is

• a cracked dash (kind of expected)
  • a cracked windshield
  • a bit of surface rust on the lower parts of t here doors (looks like itll sand and repaint pretty well).

I have been warned about carrier bearings in the diff. Is there a way to tell of they are bad without a disablement or opening the diff?

I am curious to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I absolutely loved my 03HO 6spd 4.10. It was a beast of a work truck... Way better than my 12.
Check the AC damper positions… I had to replace most of my actuators by 80,000
The carrier bearings also had a little bit of play by about 80 to 90,000 miles but they are Spanner ring adjustable so it was easy to put a dial indicater on it and reset the backlash and give the bearings a little preload again.
Check the front end if it’s four-wheel-drive. It’s probably been rebuilt once or twice by 300,000 miles.
Check the shifting in all gears especially reverse to make sure the Synkro is smooth. A friend of mine had to have his NV 5600 completely rebuilt at about 250,000 miles.
Check everything else like you normally would on a high mileage vehicle.
I’ve driven several 03s and the stock turbo is a terrible bottleneck and the power band has dead spots but that engine has tremendous potential with a better turbo and a little more fuel. Craig

Reactions: Old skool luvr

·
Registered
136 Posts
Here is some stuff

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have this exact truck. Love it to death. Check for usual blowby, cold starting behavior. At 300K injectors are near end of life or hopefully already been changed. You cant go wrong with a truck like that though

·
Registered
31 Posts
I absolutely loved my 03HO 6spd 4.10. It was a beast of a work truck... Way better than my 12.
Check the AC damper positions… I had to replace most of my actuators by 80,000
The carrier bearings also had a little bit of play by about 80 to 90,000 miles but they are Spanner ring adjustable so it was easy to put a dial indicater on it and reset the backlash and give the bearings a little preload again.
Check the front end if it’s four-wheel-drive. It’s probably been rebuilt once or twice by 300,000 miles.
Check the shifting in all gears especially reverse to make sure the Synkro is smooth. A friend of mine had to have his NV 5600 completely rebuilt at about 250,000 miles.
Check everything else like you normally would on a high mileage vehicle.
I’ve driven several 03s and the stock turbo is a terrible bottleneck and the power band has dead spots but that engine has tremendous potential with a better turbo and a little more fuel. Craig
Not to thread hijack but what turbo would you recommend?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am also interested (recommended turbo)... I'll allow it!
The only definite issue is that the rear bumper looks like it needs replacement.

By looking at this pic, do you think itll affect towing as-is?
IMG_4780.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Usually hitch receivers don't bolt to the bumper, they bolt to the frame. Should be alright but it wouldn't hurt to climb under the truck to see. Also for the carrier bearings, just get a 1 piece driveshaft. I have one in my CCLB and its smooth, no vibrations even at 95+mph

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you mean to save the carrier bearings from unnecessary wear, get a 1-piece drive shaft?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you mean to save the carrier bearings from unnecessary wear, get a 1-piece drive shaft?
1 piece driveshaft means no more carrier bearings. Just bolts to output shaft of the transfer case on one side and differential on the other.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
When my 03HO was completely stock the dead spot above idle and up to about 1400 RPM sometimes made it treacherous pulling out into traffic. Another dead spot was around 21 to 2200 RPM. Being a firm believer that stock turbos are in adequate, I bought a used Aurora 2000 turbo and that really improved and smooth out the power band and made the top end Easily pull very hard to red line and above I also built 4 inch exhaust at that time.
Then I got a Diablo sport predator which is a very good programmer and the hundred horse/Econo tune made a perfect tow tune but the only thing I didn’t like about it was the lack of power levels between 100 and 170. The 170 horse level made the throttle extremely extremely touchy and it was so hard to keep it clean in city driving. I also had the Diablo sport timing box stacked with the predator but that didn’t really add very much in benefits. I ran that turbo and Diablo sport stack for five years and then I sold the Diablo stuff and bought a TST PMCR chip.
I had the PMCR for a week and then I got the guts to turn it up to nine and nine and I floorboarded it and that poor Aurora 2000 turbo made it about 100 yards and went bang.... snapped the shaft. I had a vacation planned for the next week and had to find a turbo really fast and industrial injection built a 62/65/14 phat shaft for me and shipped it the next day. That was a terrific towing/ Street turbo and I ran it for about seven years until I sold the truck. 63/68/13 turbo was also very popular and I think the brand was HTT.
Industrial injection turbos are expensive but I was stuck in a time crunch and didn’t have a choice but I sure can’t complain about how well that turbo worked. The aggravating thing was I had another wastegated turbo that wasn’t needed because the turbo was sized so well for my fueling and didn’t require the wastegate.
A couple of years after putting the industrial injection turbo on I had some extra money and I could see that my stock exhaust manifold was shrinking so I bought a DPS two piece manifold and I took a few hours to gasket match all the head and turbo parts and it actually made a noticeable decrease in EGT so then I was able to turn the fuel up a little bit more… More fun power.
If I had an 03 now, I would look for a BD Ironhorn kit.
After having a 97 12 valve, I was so scared of the electronics on the CR but after having my 12, the CR engine was an absolute joy. The only thing I ever had to do to my 03HO was replaced theAPPS for $169 and it turned into a bullet proof truck... I wish I had it back. Craig

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Who makes a good one piece driveshaft for this truck? I'll do some searching in other threads on here in the meantime.

Needless to say, the seller and I came to an agreement and I am buying the truck.

Looking to do the injectors, windshield, and driveshaft conversion before a long haul to GA (from MD) and back in mid november.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts

These guys are excellent. I got the 1480 ujoint DS and it was packaged absolutely amazingly. Came in fast too. Think mines like 83 1/2" long, as someone else mentioned I can do 100+mph with no vibrations.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The truck finally showed up! Apparently MN to MD is a tough route to staff, so it took some doing.

Safelite is coming to do the windshield in 2 days and I think I can get the tires installed the following day.

I still need to measure the truck for the one piece drive shaft, replace the injectors and common rails, and I noticed a slight leak near the valve cover.

This truck is so much nicer than my F250.

·
Premium Member
6,297 Posts
Just one common rail on stock 3rd gen, it is just a pressure vessel that that holds pressure commanded by ECM to supply constant fuel supply to injectors when and how long ECM commands injectors to operate does not wear out just clean and put back on.
at 24000+ PSI Need better fuel filtering, Gauges especially real oil pressure !
Why injectors??
Perform all servces if have not been done or do not know if been done , check origin/cause of oil leak on front diff. If from engine breather tube check blow by/compression.
Really body issues are easy /cheap to repair,1500-2500-3500 3rd gen parts will work, the expensive items are engine,electrical ,fuel and trans related system.
Can read learn about your HPCR here
Newbies guide to your new to you truck

Nice looking truck Good Luck with Her!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I misspoke about the common rail. I meant the injectors and the injector connectors. And I thought I read that as a service item for the 24v cummins, but maybe it's not as real of an issue as some of the other stuff you listed.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts