Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have an 01 QC/SB with the 5.9. Great truck love the engine and all but family is too big and I'm in need of a Mega Cab. Been strongly leaning towards a 2006/2007 5.9 Mega Cab but the odd 2007.5/2008 6.7 Mega Cab pops up that doesn't seem too bad.

My question is what should I REALLY be looking for? Should I stick with my intuition and only buy a 5.9 or is the 6.7 worth looking at? I know all the EGR crap has to come off and buy a Smarty to stop the CEL from coming on so there's another cost to consider. What I really want is my 5.9 VP44 engine in a Mega Cab body! I've read about bad injectors, lift pumps (classic Dodge to put a weak link in the fuel system) tranny issues etc.

So if any of you could give me some insite as to what I should look out for I'd really appreciate it. The 2007.5/2008 kinda scares me as the engine was new at that time (can't help thinking about the Ford 6.0 when it came out!). I do really worry about injectors with any common rail cummins but I can't change that fact. I will take whatever I look at in for a good inspection if for nothing else but piece of mind but I can't see a shop wanting to go through the fuel system and do injector testing (can't imagine that would be cheap either).

Thanks in advance for any help and yes this is posted in the 5.9 and the 6.7 sections to get a good cross section of owners of both.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would look for a bone-stock truck that has never been modded/returned to stock. Granted, I have a 2009, but I haven't had really any issues in 32k miles now since driving it off the lot with 24 miles on it. Of course check with dodge to see if they have service records of the VIN you are looking at, this can help nail down what maintenance has been done and also to see if any recalls, such as ECM updates, have been done.

You can get the EGR/DPF deletes done for about 1000.00 via a Smarty Jr. and EGR/DPF delete kits. If you want to pay a little more, XRT's or Smarty Srs are not too much more new or via the classifieds here. Black Maxx's are the most expensive but they also provide gauges as well for you. The mini-max is up there as well in price but once again, it also provides gauges.

Reactions: Sandman76

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong either way. When I was shopping for a truck, I also wanted a 5.9. After a bunch of research, my fears of the 6.7 were gone and I bought one. I love the truck. It is stock for now, and have not had a single problem. The 6.7 is a great power plant, and now that I have an exhaust brake, I don't think I would own another diesel without one. Just do some research and choose the truck that best suites your needs. And as posted above, have the dealer run the vin and see if the truck has had any major repairs done, and check the carfax.

Reactions: Sandman76

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 08 6.7 mega cab. Absolutely love the truck. We race motocross locally around the Midwest. I have 36000 miles on it since new with no mods. Since new the dealer has had to do an update on ecm (ran same but with less mpg) last year truck lost power and had turbo replaced at dealer. This year the right side of bed started to bubble around passenger’s rear (very small spots). Local dealer does not do body work so took it to body shop who replaced complete bed side (said the do this on allot of new dodge rams). I run an additive (dealer said not to) due to local diesel mechanic swears by it along with local rv service center. 6.7 has tons of power stock for me and I didn’t buy for mpg but after reading here and seeing pics of carboned up motors I will do all deletes as soon as warranty is up or trucks paid for. Hope it’s not too late by then. I think it’s all how much you drive it. I now work about 5 miles from work and only drive longer distances on weekends to race. I wonder if I should go back to gas but love this truck and don’t want to start over. I agree with Idaho1 buy untouched and get a history.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 08 6.7 mega cab. Absolutely love the truck. We race motocross locally around the Midwest. I have 36000 miles on it since new with no mods. Since new the dealer has had to do an update on ecm (ran same but with less mpg) last year truck lost power and had turbo replaced at dealer. This year the right side of bed started to bubble around passenger’s rear (very small spots). Local dealer does not do body work so took it to body shop who replaced complete bed side (said the do this on allot of new dodge rams). I run an additive (dealer said not to) due to local diesel mechanic swears by it along with local rv service center. 6.7 has tons of power stock for me and I didn’t buy for mpg but after reading here and seeing pics of carboned up motors I will do all deletes as soon as warranty is up or trucks paid for. Hope it’s not too late by then. I think it’s all how much you drive it. I now work about 5 miles from work and only drive longer distances on weekends to race. I wonder if I should go back to gas but love this truck and don’t want to start over. I agree with Idaho1 buy untouched and get a history.

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I passed on the nice '06 Mega 3500 SRW in favour of an '08 Mega 3500 DRW. The '08 is cheaper by about $6000 straight up but the '08 also is better equipped (just leather buckets instead of cloth bench) but also comes with an Edge and emissions deletes. I'll scan for codes when I look at it tomorrow as the CEL is illuminated but the guy says it's just a sensor that's buggered (we'll see). He had the truck sold last week but the people backed out for some reason so their loss is hopefully my gain!

Thanks guys for the help!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Took me less than 30 minutes to get over trading my 01 2500 QC in for this 07.5 Mega. EGR/DPF will be gone this weekend, so i'm sure i'll love it even more :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts