Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking the forums, absorbing everything I can for a few weeks when I decided to look into Fummins swap for my next horse trailer hauler. Little bit of background about me, I come from a 4x4 rock crawling background. I have some mechanical experience, just not diesel or truck/hauler experience and engineering background, do not mind tearing into stuff and figuring it out. I tried asking around in my local community and I just came up empty handed. I was wondering if someone here has gone through this process before and would be willing to provide me with some insight. I've been gobbling up as much info as I can from this forum regarding fummins swaps.

I am in the market for a new horse trailer hauler, will not be a DD, however, we will make 7-10 long distance trips during the year. I was originally going to do my own rebuild and swap, while I was looking for blown up PSD 6.0s or 6.4s I ran across this build: It is a 2001 F350 Fummins married to a ZF6 with a few upgrades, current owner claims 350-400hp (I will add the list of modifications from the ad at the end in lieu of a signature as I don't own the truck yet)

This truck runs strong according to the seller. I am going to have it checked by a diesel mechanic for overall health (basic health check that can be done in an hour or two), however, I wanted to know what I should look for specifically in these swaps in terms of usual mistakes, "cheap fixes" people tend to do, mistakes that are easily made on swaps and anything else you think I should look for/ask. The wiring, worries me a bit, not a full spaghetti/confetti job, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

I am aware that buying someone else's conversion there's going to be some re-engineering required when it comes time for maintenance/repair and I am ok with that. I just don't want to be blindsided with something due to my inexperience. I am also repairing, modifying this build if something is not right. I am familiar with forums guidelines as I am member of several in the 4x4 community, I wanted to say I did use the search function, google and youtube to the best of my ability, however, I came up empty handed for general insight, I did find a lot of specific information I am sure I will need later.

Truck Description:
F350 Cummins Engine Solid Truck Fummins conversion tranny shaft filed back destroked dow pin removed airdog 150 4x4 lock front hubs high low all pulls strong. married to a ZF6 tranny. add on cat turbo, new injectors, dual electric fan. 2 batts <3 y/o. Runs very strong, I'm guessing 350-400 hp 800 lbt very good compression. Fresh fluids, oil and tune, new throttle cable. Brand new dual disc clutch (may need broke in if I don't drive it much before sale) Just spent $2500 at friend’s shop. New trailer wiring w gooseneck and extended bed (has some damage and rear bumper needs replaced.) 12v 160k miles 180k chassis. Truck is located in Cecilia, KY

I added some pictures of the engine bay just in case and a short video just in case.
Video: Engine Runing

If I posted on the wrong section or this is not appropriate, I apologize trying to get a hang of it all.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm not a fan of their wiring job. It looks messy and it's all the same color. I'd be looking for a painless wiring kit to replace all the wiring in the truck. I want to see the $2500 receipt. It sounds like he has a headache on his hands and it's tired of working on it.

I can't tell much of the fabrication work from the pictures. I am always leery of someone else's welding skills unless I know them.

Also, it's a 12v in a '01. If they ever decide to emissions test in your county you've got a paperweight on your hands. You cannot put an older engine into a newer body and be emissions compliant. Whether you can get away with it or not is not the topic. It's a risk and it's simple as that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not a fan of their wiring job. It looks messy and it's all the same color. I'd be looking for a painless wiring kit to replace all the wiring in the truck. I want to see the $2500 receipt. It sounds like he has a headache on his hands and it's tired of working on it.

I can't tell much of the fabrication work from the pictures. I am always leery of someone else's welding skills unless I know them.

Also, it's a 12v in a '01. If they ever decide to emissions test in your county you've got a paperweight on your hands. You cannot put an older engine into a newer body and be emissions compliant. Whether you can get away with it or not is not the topic. It's a risk and it's simple as that.
Good thinking on the emissions portion, I never gave much thought to legislation changing in my area, as unlikely as it may be. They do emissions tests in my county, however, this truck would qualify for almost all of them, I will weigh this accordingly. Yeah I couldn't agree more with getting a new wiring harness, the wiring gives me a headache, I used to work in hardware IT and that wiring management reminds me of a couple of jobs. I am waiting to hear back from the owner on exactly just what you mentioned the receipt, I wanted a picture of the title and a better video walkthrough showing blow-by a few other items I'm interested in. The tricky part is I'm 900 miles away form the truck. Thanks for chiming in! The adventure continues..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
How much are they asking for it? Ask when the Conversion was done.

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
Without seeing what the rest of the truck looks like iI think the price might be a little high.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Without seeing what the rest of the truck looks like iI think the price might be a little high.
Body is in good shape for its age, a little damage in the back right. Interior is really good not ripped at all, dash is great, probably the best looking part is the interior which leads me to believe this wasn’t a work truck, pedals don’t look that worn out either, however I agree with the more details part, I haven’t made an offer on the vehicle yet for that exact reason. I’m curious what the frame, and all the frame mounting points look like. I’ll add some more pictures when I’m back home and off work.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Attention to detail; the wiring job and the air cleaner alone would have me looking for a different truck.

Reactions: StealthDiesel

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Straight and to the point, No way I would looking at a "project" truck like this if I was looking for a reliable tow vehicle.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
That wiring looks like rats nest. Run.

Not to mention the emissions factor, if testing is brought in, you will have a giant paperweight.,

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
Wiring is minor a 12v doesn't need any wiring to run once it's started, just for the charging system. The good thing is the zf6 trans you can't beat that trans. That engine and trans along with the clutch is worth $5,000, so alot depends on the body and tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Judging by the crimp connectors in some of the photos that makes me think if they couldn't be bothered to put a little more effort into that portion, what else on the truck could be subpar at best. Personally, I detest crimp connectors. Also note the random green connector wrapped around one of the hoses coming off the coolant bottle

Reactions: IH8CALI

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Wiring is terrible as mentioned but there are a couple of ways to clean that up very nicely. The air cleaner looks terrible. No radiator shroud which wouldn’t be hard to fab up. Just doesn’t seem like the owner cared to put much effort into the truck. The mechanic, if decent, should be able to tell you if you need to walk away.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Looks like a rush job conversion to me. Like why wouldn't you at least throw some rattle can paint at the engine while you had it out if you cared about the project in the least. And the electric fans means you really can't tow anything with it (which why bother having a Cummins in an F 350 if you can't tow with it).

For the price I'd find something better. If you can get them to come down on price and don't mind continuing the project ( because it isn't really done yet) , by moving the motor back, putting a mechanical fan on it, fixing the rats nest of wiring, etc., then go for it. Its hard to beat a 12 valve & ZF6 combo if everything is done correctly.

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
No way I’d travel 900 miles for anything besides a perfect truck. Common rail power would also be a much better choice.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
It can be repaired pretty cheap if he does buy it.
Assuming the drivetrain isn't attached with 1/4" bolts and zip ties which wouldn't surprise me.

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
No way I’d travel 900 miles for anything besides a perfect truck. Common rail power would also be a much better choice.
Only if that's what you like, some of us like the simplicity of the 12v's.

Reactions: u2slow

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
If its a crewcab and I earned USD instead of canuck pesos... I'd buy it.

The 'heavy lifting' is done. And he chose good/reliable stuff like the p-pump 12v and ZF6.

IMHO, the fan situation is due to keeping the OE rad and stuff. There's other ways to package it. Maybe he couldn't find the shorty fan hub. I'd get the batteries out of there too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts