Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of things should i be aware of when looking for? I am in the market for a club cab 4x4.
Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
"53" block and the pump, vp44.

·
Registered
222 Posts
agreed..... the 53 block is the worst block to get... they crack very easily!!! although there are some guys on here with 53's and havne't had any issues.... its always a good idea to check for blow by..... othere than that just check everything real close as you normally would

·
Registered
337 Posts
Check to make sure it doesnt have codes. By rolling the key twice. Check the Stearing box for play also the seal on it. Check to VP power plug see if the VOID sticker has been removed if it has that VP44 has been replaced at one time.

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
The key trick will not work on a 99. I would say age and fuel psi on the VP44 (injector pump) and I would prefer to have a 2001+ to have the disk brake rear. there are a lot of small problems, (track bar, steering box, automatic trannys) that can be fixed easily. Well, except for the tranny. If you plan to mod, be ready if you choose an auto, but if you prefer a stick, I like the 6-speed...This also is 2000 and up. Good luck with your choices. This is just my .02

·
Registered
78 Posts
Make sure when you buy one to get a fuel pressure gauge ( to make sure your pump is your lift pump is working ) installed FIRST thing! I didnt no about it and im down 3 grand but up a Fass system!

PS. i dont no about other trucks but my truck gave no notice when the lift pump went so the injector pump burnt it self out.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
You might want to just take a peer over at my write up and web pages it might give you a few clues...

BOMB's
BOMB's

Tips & Tricks
Tips & Tricks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts