Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a RAM 3500 with 6.9 cummins, and will be pulling a 15K - 16.5K Toy Hauler, what transmission should I look at???
I have no problem driving a stick, but in the guide the manual has a lower trailer tow. I have read different reviews on the Aisin, some love it some hate it!!
The rig will be used all over the USA so a reliable trans is a must - any help will be great.
BTW new to forum, so please excuse if this has been asked before (could not find tho).

·
Registered
440 Posts
It's. 6.7L but no problem. Nobody except Cab-Chassis guys can tell you about the Aisin since no 3500's have been delivered yet (since it's been an option in the pickups). Lots have successfully towed heavy with the 68RFE but the Aisin is an exciting new option that many will probably go for.

Also, will you be getting SRW or dually? Look into what gear ratios are available for each before you finalize your purchase decision.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have an NV5600 in my soon to be put out to pasture '04. At the time, there was no new tech alternative. Now there is. Automatic transmissions have come a looong way. At a minimum you will replace clutch/pilot/throw out from time to time with a handshaker if you keep the truck for any real length of time.

The Aisin is used in some medium duty applications and longevity is important to me (324k mi on '04) so it gets the nod from me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to stay with SRW and a 4x4, as we are to retire in the TH and expect to be in many different area's therefore the 'safety' of a 4x4 and ease of tire change/replacement of the SRW (also will be adding a front bumper with 11,500 LB winch) found the winch a good option on my current Jeep.

Has the Aisin changed much, I found many problems on the eariler ones ('06, etc.) and that put me to thinking.:confused013:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks "CooperCummins67" that makes me feel better. Some of the problems the Aisin seem to have is with guys that put all this performance equipt and get 100+ more HP and wonder why the trans blows up?
I will probable go with a CAI and maybe a free flow exhaust, just to let it 'breath' better, but not trying to squeeze more HP out.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Some of the problems the Aisin seem to have is with guys that put all this performance equipt and get 100+ more HP and wonder why the trans blows up?
I will probable go with a CAI and maybe a free flow exhaust, just to let it 'breath' better, but not trying to squeeze more HP out.
Just to be sure we're all on the same page, are you suggesting there's a population of Cab-Chassis guys who've heavily modded their trucks and have had problems or, perhaps, are you mixing up the Aisin with the Allison found in GMC/Chev?

This is the first year the Aisin has been available in a Dodge RAM pickup.

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Has the Aisin changed much, I found many problems on the eariler ones ('06, etc.) and that put me to thinking.:confused013:
Ram never had an Aisin in 2006....

·
Go Packers
9,074 Posts
TRAVLN2: The 68RFE in sig. truck has worked well so far. I would like to recommend that you consider getting a truck with the 4:10 rear. Sold truck had 4:10s, and so does sig. truck. Many will say you do not need the 4:10s, but for pulling, and the added tow ratings, IMO, the 4:10s are hard to beat. I re-read you post, if pulling 15,000-16,500 LBS of 5er, you will be best served with the 4:10 rear. I get 9.2-11.5 mpgs towing sig. 5er. I can run in 6th gear, and go 62-65 mph, at 1750-1800 rpms, and when you push the go pedal, it goes. Best wishes with your decision.

Reactions: TRAVLN2

·
Registered
792 Posts
TRAVLN2: The 68RFE in sig. truck has worked well so far. I would like to recommend that you consider getting a truck with the 4:10 rear. Sold truck had 4:10s, and so does sig. truck. Many will say you do not need the 4:10s, but for pulling, and the added tow ratings, IMO, the 4:10s are hard to beat. I re-read you post, if pulling 15,000-16,500 LBS of 5er, you will be best served with the 4:10 rear. I get 9.2-11.5 mpgs towing sig. 5er. I can run in 6th gear, and go 62-65 mph, at 1750-1800 rpms, and when you push to go pedal, it goes. Best wishes with your decision.
Well, he said he was sticking with SRW drive, so all he can get is 3.42's. Unless he gets a carryover '12.

Reactions: krs

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm fairly confident my 6speed auto in my 08' Ram 5500 4x4 6.7 is the asinin trans. It has 4.88 gears according to the Window sticker. This truck has 181k and tips the scales at 19k (truck tool box body full of tools and parts). I have pulled 10-13k with it several times and I run the crap out if it. Full throttle on ramps, though I always let it warm up. This is a company truck by the way.

Always works flawlessly. Just my $.02;)

07' Z71/08' Grizzly 734cc

·
Go Packers
9,074 Posts
Well, he said he was sticking with SRW drive, so all he can get is 3.42's. Unless he gets a carryover '12.
:doh: Thank you, I should have known that:banghead:. Old age, & typing fingers get ahead of brain. Good catch:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
There are lots of 68rfe transmissions in service since 2007. I remember several years back when Chrysler made the press release for the transmission saying that although it was an evolutionary transmission from prior generations, it's been "beefed up" (their non-specific terms, not mine) and specifically tailored to the Cummins and people over time will be pleased with them.

From Wikipedia:

"The 68RFE was introduced in 2007 Ram 2500 and 3500 Pickups with the 6.7L Cummins ISB Diesel engine. It is not currently used in 2007-present Ram 3500/4500/5500 cab chassis. Transmission in these models is the Aisin AS68RC."

Here is the full post:

Chrysler RFE transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think looking back on it since 2007 when they went out to put the transmission fears to bed things have worked out alright. I'm no transmission expert and transengineer or others here can comment but it seems to me if you go and do something and then you don't hear back OR you just hear that it's not a problem, you did well. In my business anyway I hear all about it if someone in my group messes up or something we develop isn't performing properly in production. But this has been been a good transmission and I think the rep that Chrysler has on transmissions has to get put to bed at some point.

The Aisin transmission is proven. One has to assume the newer AS69RC should be every bit as good as the AS68RC has been, for sure.

Info I found on the AS69RC:

"The Aisin AS69RC is a 6 speed automatic transmission offered in the 2013 Ram HD. It is similar in design to the AS68RC, which was only available in chassis cab Rams mated to the 6.7L Cummins. The AS69RC is one of three transmissions offered for 2013, and will be standard on the high output version (385 hp/850 lb-ft) of the 6.7L Cummins. The transmission is larger and more robust than both the AS68RC and 68RFE. Ram claims the transmission has a 64% higher input torque capacity than the 68RFE. It is manufactured by Aison Seiki, a Japanese automotive parts supplier. Though actual input torque capacity is unknown, its application suggests it will be in the 850-950 lb-ft range. For comparison, the AS68RC has a max input capacity of 750 lb-ft. The AS69RC also replaces the AS68RC in chassis cab models for 2013. Its wide ratio spread provides low gearing for tow applications, while a relatively high 0.63 second overdrive keeps engine rpm low at highway speeds to maximize fuel economy."

From a practical (not ideological) standpoint, the biggest difference is the AS69RC has PTO.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
As mentioned many times previously, only being able to get the 3.42s with the SRW is dissapointing. Pretty much means you will never tow much in 6th gear with the automatics, unless you do 85 MPH+ towing.

Autos, Aisin or 68RFE have the .63 6th gear ratio
G56 manual has a .74 6th gear

With the 3.42s the G56 is geared better for heavy towing IMO. The ratings (torque and tow #s) don't reflect that, but thats just my opinion.

I am looking to get back into a diesel in the next year or so. Hopefully the 14s or 15s will allow you to at least get 3.73s. I would prefer the 4.10s, but could live with the 3.73s. The 3.42s are completely unacceptable for me.

I like the look of a leveling kit or up to a 3.5" lift with 35" tires (what I had on my 01 and 03). With 35s the 3.42s are really worthless with the auto. But they are ok with the G56.

Another thing is the G56 is $2650 cheaper, which is quite a bit of money. Thats nice wheels and tires and a leveling kit anyways.

I like having the two OD ratios the automatics have, but I like rowing my own gears too.

If you could get 3.73s or 4.10s with the SRW autos it would be a tough decision, but with only the 3.42s, if I ordered a truck tomorrow it would be the G56.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
I had a g56. The dual mass flywheel was crap. And the clutch slipped very easily. Hell, they significantly detune the engine for the g56. The final drive ratio is excellent though and if you enjoy shifting it's pretty good.

But regardless of the rear and, you can't beat a good automatic with a torque converter properly configured for towing. In my opinion the g56, though a viable alternative for heavy towing, doesn't match either auto transmission be it with the 3.42, 3.73 or 4.10.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I had a g56. The dual mass flywheel was crap. And the clutch slipped very easily. Hell, they significantly detune the engine for the g56. The final drive ratio is excellent though and if you enjoy shifting it's pretty good.

But regardless of the rear and, you can't beat a good automatic with a torque converter properly configured for towing. In my opinion the g56 is not viable alternative for heavy towing to either auto transmission be it with the 3.42, 3.73 or 4.10.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
well, once you replace the clutch with something that can handle the torque the Cummins has, the G56 is a VERY viable alternative to the auto's as far as towing goes..

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
As mentioned many times previously, only being able to get the 3.42s with the SRW is dissapointing. Pretty much means you will never tow much in 6th gear with the automatics, unless you do 85 MPH+ towing.

Just my 2 cents.
That is completely false, unless you go to a much bigger tire. I pull 18K all the time and up to 22K on occasion with my 2010 with 3:42's and I pull in 6th gear at 70 MPH and right around 1600 on the tach.

Reactions: JAXCUMMINS

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
That is completely false, unless you go to a much bigger tire. I pull 18K all the time and up to 22K on occasion with my 2010 with 3:42's and I pull in 6th gear at 70 MPH and right around 1600 on the tach.
Better watch out, someone will undoubtedly call you a liar or a false advertiser for saying this... we all KNOW that 3.42's can't tow :bdh:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts