Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just curious how many members have had to either got through a buyback or lemon law their vehicle. Im about to confront my delaership about a buyback of some sort on my truck. My truck has been in the shop 7 times in a total of 9 months with only 12k on the odometer. Im now dealing with my 4th p-2262 code with noticeable loss of turbo boost. How do you go about confronting the dealership? I do not trust this vehicle any longer since it left me nearly stranded in an intersection nearly causing a wreck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
im in the process of trying to get a buyback. i tell u wat man ive bn in the shop 7 times n 6 months with various problems including 3 o2 sensor modules and now the p2262 bull crap. im not sure wat is going to happen but the gm of chrysler has to do a write up and get back to the claims mgr. and let me kno if they gonna buy it back or not. all i can say is 2 get on good terms with your selling dealer and get the service dept. behind u and give chrysler a run 4 ur money. i brot up the idea of getting an attorney involved and its seems they have sped up their process a bit. im not sure how long it usually takes tho. i have been on the phone with chrysler every other dayfor the past 2 wks! hope i come out good in the long run.

i also would like to kno if they buy it back for full msrp of the vehicle when it left the lot?

·
Registered
993 Posts
If they buy back or "trade in for a new one" they will deduct some for the mileage put on the truck.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they buy back or "trade in for a new one" they will deduct some for the mileage put on the truck.
Ive read that a few places and im fine with that .I have gotten some use out of the truck. There is just now way even if they replace the turbos and everything that they can talk me into beleiving it will be dependable. If i get past the warranty and this is still happening im out of luck. I also have an oil rising issue on top of the turbo problems.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
the rising oil is common for most. Its the stupid DPF crap that causes it. Good Luck with the by back. Hope the next one is as reliable as a Cummins should be

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the rising oil is common for most. Its the stupid DPF crap that causes it. Good Luck with the by back. Hope the next one is as reliable as a Cummins should be
Thanks. Im planning on going by their tomorrow morning but im sure the service manager will be off considering the holiday. Im not sure i will be getting another diesel, atleast not a 6.7. Just dont want to take the risk all over again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would take all that stuff off there before I sold back the truck.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
From what I understand you will end up losing far more than you would think and that you would be ahead if you just sold it
It may not be worth it. I can only talk from experience that I have 10k on my truck trouble free. I suggest that you get the AX flash if not already done which helps with soot control and drive with the exhaust brake on for awhile until the actuator on the turbo is cleaned out. Also short 2 minute trips will cause the actuator rod to cycle to help clear it out as well. If they offer to put a new Turbo on there I would let them do it. Once it's clean with the new AX flash I don’t think you will have any more issues. I often get stuck in city traffic for long periods of time sometimes over an hour of parking on the hwy with the AC on for the wife city driving is the majority of the miles on my truck. And it is still trouble free. I wish you the best of luck. Remember they have much deeper pockets than you do. I think once they can get your troubles taken care of you will be happy with it and confident that it will be a reliable vehicle. They had some troubles on the older units. Mine was produced 3-07
Besides the terrible fuel mpg I really enjoy driving mine.

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
If you get another diesel, go for the good ol' 5.9L.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Check your local laws. Typically it is 5 SAME COMPONENT FAILURES WITHIN 1 CALLENDER YEAR. This means if they REPLACE the turbo in October, JAN starts the new year.( October doesnt count) SO, 5 more turbos later, in that year, your can qualify for a "lemon". Also, when they list "nothing found" or "unable to determine", or "reset ...." These are NOT COMPONENT failures.
Bottom line, their attorneys are bigger, more numerous, and have bigger spending accounts than yours do. There are loop holes after loop holes on how they are released from any responsibility.They are trained on these loop holes and backouts and eat, sleep,and breathe these type cases. ITs not Dodge or Cummins. Its EVERY corporate company. You just have to ask yourself, 1 do I ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, WITH OUT A DOUBT, have a case. NOt " Well, I think they should or it would be nice if they would". And #2, How much :$: do I want to do?
I hate to sound negative. Im sorry you are having the issues. Its just I feel its not about what you deserve ( and I think they should no less than exchange it for you), but who can afford the better attorneys.
Ive been ROUND AFTER ROUND with Dodge. Infact, Im the one that started the poll about Dodge customer service. When I posted that, it was about how Dodge, the 800 number, takes care of its loyal customers. From that, turned into how they were treated by the dealer. Even at the 800# they had loopholes. They wouldnt do warranty work, because I was the 2nd owner and not the 1st. Therefore they would not authorize the repair.
Best of luck to you. If you decide to hang on to the truck, there are ways around the DPF. These are direct bolt on and the sensors are plug and play. Seems most of the issues are from the emissions anyways. :thumbsup

·
Registered
102 Posts
pretty sure its 3 times repeat problem we've had engines and turbos go out in 5.9s left and right on our company rigs think we could get a buy back or lemon law ya right. we end up sitting on them at showup nobody brave enough to drive em probably 4 trucks like this. we have 3 3500 5.9 pre-common rail under 60,000 miles that have gone threw 3 injection pumps each one in for its 4th think dodge would pay for thoughs after the first one nope. So screw dodge praise cummins and all you guys that think the 5.9s dont have problems stay away from 6.7s put a dpf system on a 5.9 see what problems it has take the dpf off a 6.7 and see how good it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am driving my 3rd 6.7L

My first was an early 2007. when it had problems before it was even titled, they replaced it with a new one.

My second truck was also a 2007 that I drove for 10 months and 21,000 miles. The check engine light came on 5 times and they agreed to buy it back from me.

I now have 1800 miles on my new 2008.

The buy back program is tough, but if you push them you can get what you want. They tried to charge .45 a mile for the mileage I had driven. I negociated them down to .10 a mile.

They offered to give me a MSRP for MSRP trade. That means that you trade your truck for a truck of like value, because they don't pay off your old truck. If you go for something less you wil be very upside down.

I am already having trouble with my new truck. I hope I don't have to go through this again.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes Tennessee state law say 3 repeat problems or 30 days of down time( aka at dealership) in a years time. Seems after a year you cannot claim it as a lemon in this state, not sure if its same everywhere else.

I was told that they will be replacing my turbo and getting the latest flash update. I talked with the service manager about the situation and he agreed to help me in the buyback process if this problem occurs again. I really like the truck just want it to be dependable. They even let me chat with their 6.7 tech. He said this should cure my problems but if i wanted to keep my truck for a good lifespan and not have problems after my warranty to ditch the dpf system. The new turbo and no dpf would give me zero soot issues which is truly whats the problem.

So who thinks i should just slap on a dpf delete right after i get it back or should i put some mileage on it first?

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Exactually how does the DPF cause the oil level to rise?? I have to admit mine appears to go up slightly between oil changes. But when I drain it and the filter ,I still have 3 gallons, the same as I put in. I think it is a fig nuton of my mind. Finally I take 2 oil samples . One goes to NAPA,the other to our oil lab at the Caterpillar Dealer where I work. All samples are consistantly good with less than 1% fuel witch is excellent. Don't know Cummins spec but Caterpillar's is anything less than 4% needs no further action....:thud::thud::thud:

·
Registered
91 Posts
How much does it cost for the oil samples? Be nice to do every once in awhile.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I think in MD. they have to be safety related issues or they do not qualify for lemmon law
thats what a Dodge tech thought when we talked about it. I non working Turbo is not a safety issue

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is mechanical also, it is to protect consumers from faulty equipment. I think it is a federal thing but not positive, need to due more research.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's good to know, I'll check it out next oil change

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any of you guys no any thing about the new turbo that they are putting on these trucks? The tech said it has a valve for cleaning the soot out of it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts