Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fellas, dilemma: got 2 truck trade possibilites. Leaving the world of the VP-44 and turnin over a new leaf in the 12v p pump world. One truck is a 98 ECLB 4 door 12v 4x4 auto few mods, if any other than leveling kit, right dowm to the stock 98 chrome wheels. Owned by an older man who had the trans replaced and the 12v rebuilt when the trans came out. I look at this as an oppurtunity to build it into exactly what i want 1 piece at attime and call it my own OR....Trade straight up for a 96 SCLB 4X4 5 SPD 12V with an Ungodly amount of mods. Good mods might I add. Rebuilt 12v bored.030 over bigger pushrods & lifters. 350hp marine cut injectors, 250 hp delivery valves, 1100hp SouthBend DD clutch, 68mm industrial injection turbo, afe stage 3 intake, billet main shaft in nv4500 with carbon fiber synchros. Trucks in real good shape. Sacrifice the ex cab room and accomplished feeling of building for instant power? Or take the blank slate and make it mine, feel like I need some input on this...:banghead:

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
You never know if someone who added gobs of power is selling their truck because they keep breaking parts and are tired of fixing it. You also do not know if they have done a lot of abusive burnouts that could have done some real damage to the entire powertrain .

I would go for the rebuilt truck and know I had a solid foundation instead of buying a truck that was probably beat mercilessly.

More than one person has bought a truck and then spent more money fixing the problems it had and developed shortly after they bought it than they spent buying the truck.

Reactions: medlin3mc

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I've done both worlds, built a 99 cummins twin turbo and sold it for good profit. Loved wrenching on the truck and what I could produce from it.

Also have bought a modded truck(AKA my SIG) all work done by previous owner and have nothing but praises so far to say about the owner/quality of the truck and build.

I went the new truck route this time because I have lost time to wrench with the addition of two kids and working in the oilfield sucks my spare time away. Lots of risks both ways, just know that either way, you gotta pay to play

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok fellas, dilemma: got 2 truck trade possibilites. Leaving the world of the VP-44 and turnin over a new leaf in the 12v p pump world. One truck is a 98 ECLB 4 door 12v 4x4 auto few mods, if any other than leveling kit, right dowm to the stock 98 chrome wheels. Owned by an older man who had the trans replaced and the 12v rebuilt when the trans came out. I look at this as an oppurtunity to build it into exactly what i want 1 piece at attime and call it my own OR....Trade straight up for a 96 SCLB 4X4 5 SPD 12V with an Ungodly amount of mods. Good mods might I add. Rebuilt 12v bored.030 over bigger pushrods & lifters. 350hp marine cut injectors, 250 hp delivery valves, 1100hp SouthBend DD clutch, 68mm industrial injection turbo, afe stage 3 intake, billet main shaft in nv4500 with carbon fiber synchros. Trucks in real good shape. Sacrifice the ex cab room and accomplished feeling of building for instant power? Or take the blank slate and make it mine, feel like I need some input on this...:banghead:
I think your gonna get a lot of the same responses. Basically it all comes down to time, money, and motivation.

On one hand you could buy the built truck, maybe tinker with it a little, and as long as its solid and doesn't break, then you have almost no time, less money, and your on the street rockin.

On the other hand you buy the stock truck, and make it your masterpeice, and when your done, you built it exactly how you wanted, and theres a lot of pride to come from building your own rig. This option of course, will have more time, more money, and lots of motivation to keep workin on it. :thumbsup:

Personally I would build it. Ive bought a brand new truck, and two built trucks. My current truck was pretty much built, but its completely gutted and im re-doing a lot of things. But my next truck will be a complete frame off deal.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured it would be better in the long run to start with a clean slate so i KNOW whats goin on with the truck. I just needed to hear that it was a good move to NOT go with a heavily modified truck. I didnt want to pass up a great deal without having good reason. Thanks to:
country_hick, AKRIDER and Hoythntr09
for giving me the advice to help decide.

"just know that either way, you gotta pay to play" -AKRIDER

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
The biggest thing that made me buy previously modified. Everything was done professionally. Owner was anal about taking care of the truck. And he designed it the way I would've built a 4th gen. I was able to get into a modded truck with peace of mind about it....... Which is pretty rare

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
How much cash ya gunna have to work with if you sold yours and bought the home stock cummins

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much cash ya gunna have to work with if you sold yours and bought the home stock cummins
Not enough to brag about really. I just got out of the military and im workin part time to keep my head above water right now. I start school in the fall so until then im tryin to work full time or as much as possible and get this thing started. Ive got a older model camaro im gonna sell and hopefully itll bring enough to atleast get started. Which brings me to my next fork in the road... what comes first? Build the transmission to handle power before i put the power to it? Or ease into the power with injectors, maybe go ahead have the head studded with ARP studs, and fire ring it, maybe port an polish. its already got 3k gsk. which is better than nothin.

·
12V ADDICT!
3,481 Posts
Either way you go youll be good. Cause you just cant beat a 12valve. 98's are rare especially with a manual trans. Then again the 96 you mentioned has a nv4500 but it is a regular cab. Me being a manual trans guy i still say go with the 98. Easy to swap a tranny if u choose to do so and its a 98 model with newer interior.

·
12V ADDICT!
3,481 Posts
Save your money on the studs. The stock head bolts can be torqued down to hold all the power youll throw at it. Just do them in small increments. Lot of race trucks still runnin stock head bolts out there and never had an issue

·
12V ADDICT!
3,481 Posts
But i guess its a piece of mind thing lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the future i had planned on puttin a NV4500 in it. I prefer a manual 10 to 1 on an auto. Im just not sure exactly how thats gonna go. Ive never done a auto to manual trans swap.(im theres a thread for that on here somewhere tho) So needless to say thatll be a new experience. But I def think 12v is the way to go. I hear alot of good things about a 12v. Obviously, the P7100 being the a huge part of it. It might sound kinda ridiculous but i like the sound of a 12V more than a 24v. I could listen to the sound of a 12V idling all day everyday. Its just different. Better in my opinion. Cant say why, but its different to me anyways

·
12V ADDICT!
3,481 Posts
Yea. Nothing like em. They are the cream of the crop regardless of how you look at them. Wether it be the exhaust sound, the engine noise, or the reliability and just how fun they are. Ive had a newer one but will NEVER leave the 12v again

·
12V ADDICT!
3,481 Posts
This 96 draws more attention than my 2010 ever thought about. Women love these old mechanical engines. Just the sound of them makes panties come off. Ask me how i know ;-)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This 96 draws more attention than my 2010 ever thought about. Women love these old mechanical engines. Just the sound of them makes panties come off. Ask me how i know ;-)

haha. looks like the ol hummin cummins does more than turn heads. :thumbsup: other thanthe KDP anybody know of any major issues or potential problems with the 12v too look out for? I know the stock lift pump on the 24v can put whippin on a VP44. been there done that, (Thank you Air Dog for the fix) Are there any concerns similar to that with the 12v/ P7100?

·
12V ADDICT!
3,481 Posts
nah. the stock lift pump will be fine up to the 500 horse range. anything beyond that youll need to go bigger. Only issue is the dowel pin.

·
12V ADDICT!
3,481 Posts
whichever truck you choose enjoy the 12v and the p7100. Two best ever. And youll never go back

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I'm wanting to do what nater did and go back to a 12 v, I miss those old beasts with a 5 speed.

Make sure and keep you steering nice and tight, don't wanna be getting any death wobble

Reactions: Nater Tater

·
12V ADDICT!
3,481 Posts
I hear ya AK. I owe it to my ex wife lol. Something I decided to do and glad i did. These trucks are toys and cheap to fix. Speakin of steering my 96 drives just as good as my 10 did, but it doesnt ride quiet as good lol, but its a 17 yr old truck so I cant complain

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
These new trucks have some nice creature comforts and drive real nice, but I miss a manual and no payments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts