Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going trew buyback with superduty was looking at replacing it with a Dodge mega cab. should I go with a new 08 w/6.7 or go find nice used 5.9 any help would be nice. Have test drove new one and really liked it and loved the E. brake and six speed auto. will be commuter truck and will pull 35' toy hauler. Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
i like the 5.9 liter

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you are in a state that does heavy pollution control get the 5.9 motor it don't have the EGR or DPF on there which are just an unnecessary hastle.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would go with new...new warrenty... 2.99 a gallon guarentee. Your choice, but thats just me. Good luck!

·
Registered
717 Posts
BTW, Welcome to Cummins Forum!

·
Registered
833 Posts
depends on your $$$$ situation, that 2.99 sounds gooooood too

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
2004.5 + 5.9 all the way, no egr or dpf to mess with and better mpg

·
Registered
205 Posts
Probably a good used is a better idea. Used inventories are tremendous now and growing daily as people unload them to get into 4 cylinder econo boxes. The savings you get will buy a lot of $5.00 a gallon diesel. I'm an optimist (and investor who follows commodity trends very closely), diesel will come down due to lack of demand for all petroleum products. Also China and India can soon no longer afford to subsidize their fuel prices, their consumers are in for a BIG shock soon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my '08 Mega Cab yet. In the 200 miles from Seattle to the Coast I usually average 19mpg. I can add a mpg if I slow down somewhat. That $2.99 sounds like a good thing though. I missed it by a couple of weeks.

I went '08 for the 6sp auto.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
I would go with the 6.7. It will run circles around the 5.9 stock for stock. I owned eight 5.9's and now a 6.7 and I wouldn't go back.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I agree with Tabing. The Dealers here in south Louisiana are flooded with diesel trucks. Last week a customer told me that a local Dealer would not make him a offer on his diesel truck. They simply did not want another truck that would be hard to sell. It is a buyer's market. BTW, Welcome to the Forum!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
BTW get an 5.9 you'll love it !!:peelout

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
id get the 5.9........the best thing i ve ever bought and i have some crazy toys'............good luck ....my buddy gots the new 6.7....it has power , but all the smog crap is crap...:beer

·
Registered
847 Posts
The 6.7 is great, but plan on :$: getting it to where it should be as far as mileage goes. It's worth it though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
9 months ago I would have said buy new. Now I would say used. The price of diesel has driven the value of these used trucks down allot. I think you will be a smart man to take advantage of saving some money. It does not matter what motor you go with. They are both good motors. You can find a good used deal on both motors now. If you dont want to remove the emmisions on the 6.7 then i would buy a 5.9. But if you do not care about removing the emmisions then I would go with 6.7. Thats my opinion and what I would do.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Whichever you buy, buy used and save lots of cash!!! I went through the same dilemma for a few months. I settled on the 5.9 and had second thoughts afterward. Now I'm very glad I got the 5.9. I'd have had to spend another 3K just to get the MPG in a reasonable range. Can't go wrong with a 5.9. Buy used though!!!

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
I wouldn't buy a used 6.7. It could possibly be a lemon or buy back truck. If you are looking at used I would go with the 5.9

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
brand new 6.7 IMO, they are great trucks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts