Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i blew a radiator a while back and forgot that i added water back in it and the da** cold froze my water but popped a few freeze, well i put new plugs in and then cranked her after a few days if letting all water out and oil was pouring everywhere. sure enough it was my oil cooler busted in half. bought one used off ebay looked to be good and started to install...got to tightening..then it cracked. so ive bought my second one and its on its way to me but i feel like this one is gonna crack again. also notice water on dipstick could this be a warped block and is that water from a head gasket or because the oil cooler was busted??? i know its my fault but helll im sick of ending up in front of this cummins diary tryin to get help but i need it this truck is my dd please help!!! :S: :S: :S:

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
okay so i blew a radiator a while back and forgot that i added water back in it and the da** cold froze my water but popped a few freeze, well i put new plugs in and then cranked her after a few days if letting all water out and oil was pouring everywhere. sure enough it was my oil cooler busted in half. bought one used off ebay looked to be good and started to install...got to tightening..then it cracked. so ive bought my second one and its on its way to me but i feel like this one is gonna crack again. also notice water on dipstick could this be a warped block and is that water from a head gasket or because the oil cooler was busted??? i know its my fault but helll im sick of ending up in front of this cummins diary tryin to get help but i need it this truck is my dd please help!!! :S: :S: :S:
I'm gonna guess that your block is cracked.

You mean your whole coolant system was filled with water and froze?

Pressure test your cooling system.

I know it was below freezing there a week ago.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Grab a tester from autozone . Other than that its just hurry up and wait , you have to put it all back together to see

·
Registered
268 Posts
did the same thing on my 1st gen a few years back, cracekd the block internally. i would leak a gallon or more of oil from pushing out all the gaskets, and still be few quarts over on the dipstick from oil being di-luted with coolant. good luck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not pouring water?? Its pouring oil from my oil cooler because it was snapped in half It holds it. But Im trying to put a new oil cooler on and it busted the new one as i was tightening it. I got another coming in the mail but i think its just gonna crack again but why??

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seems like my block could be warped from where my oil cooler mounts up

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ive never worked on the oil cooler , are you saying its binding up while you are tightening bolts ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive never worked on the oil cooler , are you saying its binding up while you are tightening bolts ?
im saying that everytime i try to put the oil cooler plate on it cracks cuz its not flush but i just pulled the actaul oil cooler out and it looks warped because nothing will lay flush against it and im assuming that its cracking and breaking the plate so easily because the plate itself is aluminum

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
im saying that everytime i try to put the oil cooler plate on it cracks cuz its not flush but i just pulled the actaul oil cooler out and it looks warped because nothing will lay flush against it and im assuming that its cracking and breaking the plate so easily because the plate itself is aluminum
Because your block is cracked, possibly in multiple places.

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
You also mentioned water on the dipstick. Where is that coming from?

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Sounds like it froze hard enough for the ice in the oil cooler water cavity pushed the oil cooler out and bending it and cracked the cover plate. Replacing the oil cooler and plate should fix that problem but if it froze that hard you've probably cracked the block.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
exactly it froze causing the cooler to bend, causing the the case to crack.. exactly!! but why would my block be cracked if i have over 7 freeze plugs pop out

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
exactly it froze causing the cooler to bend, causing the the case to crack.. exactly!! but why would my block be cracked if i have over 7 freeze plugs pop out
Dude, you gotta answer questions people ask you.

I told you this before - settle down, don't be sporadic and help us help you.

You've mentioned water in your oil.

If you had 7 freeze plugs pop out, it's safe to assume it froze to the core - water expands when it freezes.

The water needs somewhere to go, so it cracks the block. I think it was too cold for your freeze plugs relieve the pressure.

You need to pressure test your coolant system and see what's up man.

Was your entire cooling system filled with water?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes it was. ill get to the testin as soon as i can actually keep oil in the truck. as far as the block cracking even the radiator held all the water when i refilled but i guess ill just have to go step by step an wait in oil cooler.

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
yes it was. ill get to the testin as soon as i can actually keep oil in the truck. as far as the block cracking even the radiator held all the water when i refilled but i guess ill just have to go step by step an wait in oil cooler.
Well, your radiator is thinner and can expand a bit more.

Your block is solid.

Since it's cheap, use pure distilled water and run your truck. I bet the water vanishes into the crankcase.

Hey, there's a chance it didn't crack, but if you blew 7 freeze plugs out, I'm guessing there is some pricey damage.

How much water was coming out of the freeze plugs? Was it running down the side of the block?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine wasn't runnin.down block it just finally melted out

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts