Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Burnt Engine Oil Smell

2074 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  FM Cargill
My 08 6.7 has about 60K on it , have had the turbo replacement done, as well as all the flashes. Lately been smelling a burnt engine oil smell when I shut her down. No visible smoke when operating.

Anyone else experience this?

(Completely stock by the way)
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
504 Posts
Check for engine oil on the turbo and that side of the engine. If oil is present, change your CCV filter if it hasn't been done.

Reactions: FM Cargill

· f7u12
2,365 Posts
My 08 6.7 has about 60K on it , have had the turbo replacement done, as well as all the flashes. Lately been smelling a burnt engine oil smell when I shut her down. No visible smoke when operating.

Anyone else experience this?

(Completely stock by the way)
is it burnt engine oil or is just a burning smell. if it is the latter it may just be the burning smell of the dpf in regen..

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check for engine oil on the turbo and that side of the engine. If oil is present, change your CCV filter if it hasn't been done.
Checked out the area next to the turbo, and both sides if the engine itself. Not seeing any oil either. What is the CCV filter change interval?

· Premium Member
1,887 Posts
Checked out the area next to the turbo, and both sides if the engine itself. Not seeing any oil either. What is the CCV filter change interval?
Factory says 65,000 but I would change it before that. Mine was FULL of oil at 66,000.

Reactions: FM Cargill

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is it burnt engine oil or is just a burning smell. if it is the latter it may just be the burning smell of the dpf in regen..
Seems more like the same smell you would get when you have oil getting in the cylinders and being burned. Might be just the regen smelling wierd I guess. Both times it was the most prevalent, think I was standing next to the box on the drivers side, not next to the engine compartment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.