Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, finally putting a little seat time test driving this project and have a question. I have jungles 2" leaf spring drop mounts and matching shackles up front along with Chevy 52's springs. I've netted about 4-5" of lift. While driving along and lets say you hit a manhole cover with one tire, it feels like the front end is shifting side to side a bit. Enough to make the steering wheel turn a slight bit. It was fine before but now that I have added hydraulic assist it magifies it a bit more.

I have a steering brace installed, Running a High steer arm and draglink, jungles mount is welded to the frame and bolted, and I have a proper shackle angle.

Only thing I can come up with is the shackles are not cross tied.

Do yall have any thoughts?

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well the crossover steering can cause bump steer. That with added suspension travel from the 52" springs would probably cause some bump steer...

·
Registered
13 Posts
you either have toe in or toe out. throw a tape measure on your tires and check your alignment

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alignment is perfect. It was professionally done. What about degree shims on the leaf springs? I read some other posts here saying people had issues. I do have a set on there. I believe 6-7*.

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hey guys, finally putting a little seat time test driving this project and have a question. I have jungles 2" leaf spring drop mounts and matching shackles up front along with Chevy 52's springs. I've netted about 4-5" of lift. While driving along and lets say you hit a manhole cover with one tire, it feels like the front end is shifting side to side a bit. Enough to make the steering wheel turn a slight bit. It was fine before but now that I have added hydraulic assist it magifies it a bit more.

I have a steering brace installed, Running a High steer arm and draglink, jungles mount is welded to the frame and bolted, and I have a proper shackle angle.

Only thing I can come up with is the shackles are not cross tied.

Do yall have any thoughts?

Thanks
Rick

post up some pics of your setup.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
I installed steering dampers on mine with crossover steeringto eliminate bumpster. It may not be the only way to fix it but it worked on mine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I installed steering dampers on mine with crossover steeringto eliminate bumpster. It may not be the only way to fix it but it worked on mine.
Hydra Assisy cylinder will act as a damper, not needed in my application.

Here are some bad pics...

Here's the project, it was a D350 Dually, now a Shortbed W350.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Disconnect the hydraulic assist and see if its still there.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
May have found the issue. The stock pump isn't putting out enough pressure at idle to 1200rpm to handle the ram. So I'm gonna modify the pump tonight and see if that helps. I did this on a old Chevy and jeep I had hydra assist on with success. This will be the first diesel pump tho.

Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts