Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i got an 05 5.9 and want to know whitch chip to run and what kind of horse power both the triple dog power pup and the smarty put out i know the bully dog is 140hp how about the smarty? and whitch is safest for my tranny?? another question can you plug in the smarty while driving and change settings like the triple dog?:popcorn:

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
My vote's for Smarty...Smarty goes up to "170 hp" and they have a tune that's sapposed to do 230. Smarty can change as your needs change...there are downloads for stock injectors, aftermarket injectors, stock turbo, aftermarket turbo, 4 different toque management levels, etc...

To change the HP level of the Smarty you have to shut the truck down.

Safe levels...auto = 60hp and manual = 90hp.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Smarty for sure!

·
Banned
53 Posts
Smarty All The Way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i hear so much good stuff about the smarty and i think it sounds great! but i like the idea of changing my levels from inside the truck thats why i like the bully dog and the 140hp is PLENTY of enough for me. can anyone agree with going with a bully dog? any flaws it might have?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I dont know what the big deal is with change on the fly. You were worried about your trans that makes it easier for you to kill the trans.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is the smarty just a plug in box like the bullydog? or is there wireing to be done under the hood?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
niice..whats the price of the smarty anyways?

·
Registered
172 Posts
You are on teh wrong website if you wanna hear anyone endorse the bullydog, most everyone here is in love with their smarty!!

BTW I have the triple dog with Crazy Larry and it is a 230hp tune. I run it on both my 05's now, they are manuals, and it is safe to run as long as you use your head when driving. I have the Outlook which will give you true on the fly adjustability. I can go from crazy larry to stock in about 1 second!:thumbsup

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks buddy. yea everyone is truly in love with there smarty and buy the sounds of it they have all the resion to be haha thanks everyone for all ur help.
BTW the only resion why i might just go with the triple dog is because $$ is an issue haha the bully dog is almost half the price and only 40hp less.

·
Diesel Junkie
4,683 Posts
I have had a Bully Dog pup on my 04.5 , and now have the Smarty. Night and Day is all I can say in comparing them.
Not dogging(no pun) the BD , and the tipple dog might be different,but the egt's went through the roof on my 04.5.
I have been towing 13k on #9 with the Smarty(170hp) and the egt's are unbelievably low .Power is also much smoother.....no surging like the pup did.

Again,never used the TD,so take it for what its worth.:thumbsup

·
DIESEL FREAK
152 Posts
i have the triple dog and i will tell you know at least do a converter and vb first then you should be OK the TD add lots of power on crazy Larry. i raced my Friends 07 Cummins 5.9 auto and he thought he would get me i was door to door with him and he had the smarty on sw7 i am not knocking he smarty but for the cost i got the bully dog triple dog. so it is your truck have fun play hard but be for warned you will kill the auto.
the converter's in these truck are week and the vb sucks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea thanks man yes cost wise big difference but do i need to do the tranny mods if im not going to run crazy larry?? i mean just the highest setting TD is i belive 140hp i just want enough to dump some smoke and Smoke some 1500 dodge hemis!:peelout

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
Smarty all th way.. I've seen Smarty on Ebay go for as low as 350 and high as 700.. Average price is $685 from what I've seen unless anyone else knows something I don't.. Please share if you do!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
i have the bullydog power pup on my 04.5 and i am honestly not at all impressed by it in anyway, i have put the triple dog with crazy lary on the truck and it was a bit better, i have not tried the smarty but am looking to get one in the very near future

·
Registered
15 Posts
You seemed to be one sided before you asked for opinions. but thats just me mabey. I too have a smarty and i wouldnt run anything but one. I have drivin other trucks with bully dogs and edges, there nice make decent power and like anything else you can always add more. but the smarty is my vote. though it may not have the extra 40HP that the TD has, but do you really notice 40HP when your allready over 500HP? not really. Tourqe is woth more than HP anyway. what kinda TQ does the TD add? thats the question.. I called Mads and asked what kinda tourqe rating the smarty adds and they told me just over 400 ftlbs.
be wise and do a converter an VB or you will smoke you trans no matter what tunner you run.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My triple dog with the crazy larry says on the box 230HP and 460 TQ:peelout.

I personally have never had a smarty on my truckbut have ran against a few of them and rode in a few trucks with them, I like the power they make, and was impressed, but I wont be getting rid of my BDTD for one anytime soon..

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
The first downloader I tried on my truck was the BD TD with crazy larry, IMHO what a joke, if its 230hp it is so overrated its not even funny :thud: I had it on my truck for a day and beat the he!! out of my truck, that thing never even slipped my stock clutch and everyone with a g56 knows they cant take much, to say the least, I'am so glad I borrowed it from a buddy, so I bought the edge j/a hot, and what an improvement, if I took the backdown off I could slip my stock clutch in level 4, clutch didn't stand a chance on level 6 the 160hp level, level 5 (100hp) pulled way harder then the crazy larry, anyway I just got the Smarty a week or two ago and all I can say is :woot: this thing rocks, maybe a little more power then my edge but the truck runs a lot smoother.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think it is safe to say everyones truck reacts different to the programmers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts