Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading some reviews and threads on the Bully Dog GT I went ahead and got one. Just to be clear, I wasn't getting it for extreme power... My truck is basically stock. I wanted something that would give me a little bit more umph while pulling my little 5th wheel trailer, and a little bit of mpg's wouldn't hurt as well. So I already knew that the GT wasn't the greatest for the year of my truck (early 04). But I didn't need the all out power cause I don't want to break anything.

So I installed it and to be honest, I can't tell a difference at all - from the stock setting to the extreme setting... It's like it's not working at all. I even took the tune off and then reinstalled the tune. Still no difference. :banghead: Can't see a trace of black smoke when I really get on it. And the latest update for the GT is on there 1.1.2.8.

Anybody have any experience with the GT on this year of truck? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have been watching your post to see if any one else responds, did you ever get the bully dog to work, and do you like in or waste of money. the reason i ask was i was looking at getting one also. i like the idea of gauges and tune all in one. just want others to try it first. let me know

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
So after reading some reviews and threads on the Bully Dog GT I went ahead and got one. Just to be clear, I wasn't getting it for extreme power... My truck is basically stock. I wanted something that would give me a little bit more umph while pulling my little 5th wheel trailer, and a little bit of mpg's wouldn't hurt as well. So I already knew that the GT wasn't the greatest for the year of my truck (early 04). But I didn't need the all out power cause I don't want to break anything.

So I installed it and to be honest, I can't tell a difference at all - from the stock setting to the extreme setting... It's like it's not working at all. I even took the tune off and then reinstalled the tune. Still no difference. :banghead: Can't see a trace of black smoke when I really get on it. And the latest update for the GT is on there 1.1.2.8.

Anybody have any experience with the GT on this year of truck? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Just wondering, but with all the other tuners out there, why did you go with something that you already knew wasnt the best for year of your truck??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wondering, but with all the other tuners out there, why did you go with something that you already knew wasnt the best for year of your truck??
Like I said previously, I didn't need the all-out-power of the other tuners. My truck is stock and I don't want to break anything. I don't have a money tree in my backyard (yet) :hehe:.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
I had one for a few weeks. Swapped it for a bed cover...

Sent from Tapatalk while NOT driving...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have been watching your post to see if any one else responds, did you ever get the bully dog to work, and do you like in or waste of money. the reason i ask was i was looking at getting one also. i like the idea of gauges and tune all in one. just want others to try it first. let me know
So here is the latest skinny:

I called Bully Dog and the customer service, I have to say, was very professional... BUT, the representative basically told me that there was no fix for my truck... Apparently, the '03 and early '04s with the manual transmission don't work with the Bully Dog. He said that until they can get one of those year of truck with a manual trans in their shop to see what is going on, there is no fix. All of the calls he has gotten with the same problem (with the same year truck and trans.) have been on the east coast. He asked me if I lived or visited the Idaho area... I said that I had grandparents in the Twin Falls area. He said that their shop is just east of Twin Falls and if I could bring my truck in the next time I'm up that way they could see what was going on. Tentatively I'm planning on going up there mid-November. I think I'll take it in.

Other than the power levels not working, the display is pretty cool... turbo boost, throttle position, oil temp, coolant temp, EGR (if you have the add-on pyrometer, which I do, just not installed yet), some MPG stuff... pretty cool. But we'll see after I take it in to Bully Dog. Who knows, maybe they can hook me up with some other stuff for all my time and trouble (and fuel) :hehe:

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Just remember, all that gauge stuff reads off the ecm. Not always accurate.

Sent from Tapatalk while NOT driving...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hey Freezerburn, does it read rail pressure and trans temp? That's two things I wanted when I bought the Watchdog.....basically the GT without programming but won't work on my 04.5. I installed it in my Dad's 06 and rail pressure works great. Bullydog told me it is year dependent as it can only read what the ECM gives it. The boost is accurate as i have mechanical gauges also and the % load and fuel per hour readings are interesting.

I hope Bullydog can get it working for you but if not I would suggest you buy a used Triple Dog. There's so many around that you can get them cheap (I bought one for $100) and install it on top of the GT. You would then have the TD programming and the GT will do the power levels on the fly and work as gauges.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Like I said previously, I didn't need the all-out-power of the other tuners. My truck is stock and I don't want to break anything. I don't have a money tree in my backyard (yet) :hehe:.
You don't have to go for all out power. I am just tryingto figuare out that if you found out it wasn't the best for your truck, why buy it. Especially when the is diablo, edge, smarty jr, heck even banks....they are all relatively safe if you keep then on the safe levels.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had one when it first came out and like freezerburn, I had the same issue. There was no difference between power levels and the low end torque setting only worked half the time when selected. Then there was the gauge display showing different from the numerical value on the trans temp. That is why I no longer have it and got gauges and a Smarty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i ordered mine yesterday. i hope it will work but they have a 30 day money back guarantee so we will see. hope i have better luck than what i have read here. i have friends with the bully dog and they don't have problems . we will see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts