Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking a question for my Paw-In-Law. He has a 04 3500 with manual tranny. He pulls a 36' 5ver and is wants a Bully Dawg. Would appreciate any input as to which programmer is better. Thanks in advance!:help

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Well make sure he gets some gauges and some form of intake to help with the air flow. The smarty and smarty jr. are two of the most popular programmers out there. As far as towing you want something that will give you a nice bump down low. Edge juice is another popular starter box with lots of safety parameters.

·
Registered
909 Posts
bully dag is a great programmer. with all the programmers ive tested the bully dog has givvin me the best mpg and they have some very strong tunes out if he want to make huge hp or they have some milde tunes out. but all in all bully dog is one of the best.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Selling????????

If they are so good, why are you selling yours. :rof

·
Registered
909 Posts
beacuse i want the best whitch cost 1 g the bully dog is only half that brand new and still one of the top programmers. anyways im to broke so avery penny i can get ill get it thats why im selling. otherwise i would keep it 4 tuning reasons.

·
Premium Member
27,510 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,749 Posts
He'll love the Triple Dog, but make sure he gets some gauges and he should also be thinking about a new lift pump.
My BD set to "extreme" will draw my fuel pressure down to zero, to say nothing of running Crazy Larry which will probly fry his automatic or his clutch unless he takes it real easy..

... Good thing about Triple Dogs is they're not the latest and greatest so people are selling them cheap in the classifieds, for the price you can't go wrong, plus you can change on the fly unlike the Smarty, plus it has more software changes you can do to your truck than the Smarty....

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If its and early 04 555 dont even think about the bully dog. I've got one and wont ever do it again. If its a 04.5 go for it!

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
i have had both the BD and the smarty. The BD was good, but ran hot. the smarty is awesome! cooler temps, more power, and more options to work with.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What tunes are yall running on when you say they are running hot?

·
Premium Member
6,749 Posts
I've rune 2.4D CVrazy Larry and not had a problem "running hot".
Also had 2.4.3 on for a long time, no problems with that either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all, new chick here as well. Joined just to post on this thread (don't mean to hijack this though). I'm in similar situation as original poster, I have a 3500 stock model truck, and pull a 36.5' fiver regularly. When I'm not pulling it, I pull an equally heavy gooseneck horse trailer. I was advised to get the Triple Dog Bully Dog by a dealer that sold many different models including Edge Juice. I had it on trial for a month (no monitors-- pulling sensibly on tow mode) -- absolutely LOVED the extra power it gave me, and noticed one day when I accidentally put my truck in 5th instead of 3rd gear, that it blew a BUNCH of black smoke -- well, that scared the stew out of me and I returned this. When I did, the guy willingly took it back, and told me that both the Triple Dog Bully Dog and Edge Juice will do this, but that people never complained of problems.... WHASSSSSS up with that? Why did it do this? I miss the power and slight increase in fuel mileage I saw, but I don't want to kill my truck!

Thanks for any input on this.

KK

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
noticed one day when I accidentally put my truck in 5th instead of 3rd gear, that it blew a BUNCH of black smoke -- well, that scared the stew out of me and I returned this. When I did, the guy willingly took it back, and told me that both the Triple Dog Bully Dog and Edge Juice will do this, but that people never complained of problems.... WHASSSSSS up with that? Why did it do this? I miss the power and slight increase in fuel mileage I saw, but I don't want to kill my truck!

Thanks for any input on this.

KK
When your in 5th in a situation that you should be in 3rd you are fuel very hard down low and your turbo has not spooled enough to clear it up. Just an FYI for future consideration I would not run anything that modifies fueling without some form of gauges to keep an eye on EGTs and boost pressure:thumbsup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the input -- why does it seem that my tailpipe was sootier than before? I was worried that this was tearing something up -- are you saying that with the monitor, and conservative settings, that these programmers are completely safe to use for my type of application?

ALSO, someone else, someone who sells a programmer that is not Bully Dog, mentioned that on rare occasion, Bully Dog has been known to scramble the computer to the point where the truck won't start -- any truth to that?

Thanks again!

KK

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Thanks for the input -- why does it seem that my tailpipe was sootier than before? I was worried that this was tearing something up -- are you saying that with the monitor, and conservative settings, that these programmers are completely safe to use for my type of application?

ALSO, someone else, someone who sells a programmer that is not Bully Dog, mentioned that on rare occasion, Bully Dog has been known to scramble the computer to the point where the truck won't start -- any truth to that?

Thanks again!

KK
Yeah so long as you keep an eye on the vitals of the engine, boost and egt at the minimum you should be just fine. I have not heard any cases of BD messing up anyone's ECM, that is not to say their is not a few isolated cases here and there but I think with any product there are defects but from everything I have seen bullydog seems to stand behind their product.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for putting up with stupid girlie questions, but one more...

So, the dealer was pretty matter of fact that all of these make the truck smoke a bit more -- what's behind that, and will it damage anything over the long haul (no pun intended)?

Tx!

KK

1 - 20 of 25 Posts