Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 12 valve gona be around 600 horsepower idk wht tranny to go with. Ats or suncoast im really looking at suncoast with a ats 5 star torc converter

·
Registered
201 Posts
if it was me out of the choices I would go with Suncoast just because they are closer to me. There is no way im putting that purple stuff in or under my truck..lol.. my choice= goerend trans and converter.

·
Registered
154 Posts
just my 2 cents but i wouldnt touch a purple bomb with a 10 foot pole. i live in CO about 10 minutes from ats. my buddy has a an ats with a five star and all billet shafts in his CR with around 500-550hp and last time he blew it up(for the 6th time) he took it in and they make you pay to get it to them and for labor to get it out but the trans is covered lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey man i live here in colorado, and i have been lookin for a transmission for my 12v and im running about 450hp, theres a company in denver called twisted souls diesel performance and they got great deals on full race built transmissions with torque converters, give them a call and see wat they can do for u, they helped me out and for a very unbeatable PRICE !!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
depends on where your located, theres alot of places out there that can build you the same quality if not better as the "BIG" name companies, at alot better price

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
^What he said. There a re a lot of tweaks and tricks that can be done to trans and tcs and like anything else, there is only so much that can be done.

Having said that, let me say this: Once a builder reaches the maximum engineering and build quality the rest IMO, is all reputation and customer service. It has taken both Goerend and Suncoast years and mega bucks to become recognized premier builders. For that initial effort and outstanding customer service, they deserve the price that they demand.

I am certain that there are many individual shops that may be able to duplicate the TC and trans, but not with the consistency that the aforemented can deliver. If indeed they are out there, I doubt they can deliver the goods once they are discovered so to speak. In today's economic enviornment it is extremely difficult for a flegling business to obtain the necessary financing to expand a business. As good as they may be, they simply can't compete with the established builders.

If you look at it from a purely cynical viewpoint, we are fortunate that there are only a few companies that compete for our business. If they decided to have lunch together one day and agreed upon the cost of thier product to the consumer, we would be screeeeeeewed. Agreed? So, you can shake the dice, go with a friend or a company that you trust/hope they will do a good job and back up what they do or go with a proven company.

I'm not making a pitch for anyone so don't get me wrong. Myself, I chose to go the local route and relied upon what the local guy said. If what he told me equals what I have learned here, with regard to the parts needed to build good components, the difference is the labor cost and individual attention to the job.

Warranty? The established big guys have warranty/garranty programs they can afford to back up on a national basis, and they do. My local guy's warranty= "John, if it breaks I'll fix it". Which at this point in my life is good enough for me. And BTW, I think that is how good reputations get started.

Just my opinion, your's of course, may vary.

·
Registered
154 Posts
hey man i live here in colorado, and i have been lookin for a transmission for my 12v and im running about 450hp, theres a company in denver called twisted souls diesel performance and they got great deals on full race built transmissions with torque converters, give them a call and see wat they can do for u, they helped me out and for a very unbeatable PRICE !!!
Thanks. yea i've talked to beva and seen some of J.D.s trannys live through some brutal beatings lol they do good work. i know another very good tranny builder. if he wasnt doing it i would take it to twisted souls though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts