Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a very well built 47rh in my 95, trans is relativley new. it wod go into gear, it takes about 10 secs to engage and it has no power when it does.. and if driving down the road it will hit 1st and 2nd great.. but drive is outta the question and so is over drive.
the trans has al billit shafts and a tripple disc converter with a redline valve body. the trans temp never gets a bout 150. ??? WTF?????????:banghead::doh::confused013:

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i dont have the tools... is there anything i can do to fix it? it seems like it gets worse

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok,
well what do i need and does anyone have a proceedure

· Registered
196 Posts
Transmissionin after converter and shift kit, has reverse and 1st but wont shift

woops wrong thread. Mods please delete

· Registered
677 Posts
Does the trans always work fine in 1st and 2nd? Even right after start-up?

Is the throttle pressure (aka kickdown) cable installed and properly adjusted? If the throttle pressure cable is not hooked up or inoperative, the front clutch will be smoked and the trans needs to come out for repair.

Does the trans slip in Reverse too?

I recommend getting a 300psi gauge and a 8' length of hose good for at least 250 psi. You will also need fittings to connect the hose to the 1/8" NPT female threads on the trans.

If the trans operates fine every time in 1st and 2nd, hook the gauge hose onto the line pressure port, bring the gauge into the cab, and go for a test drive.

With a steady throttle position, watch the pressure gauge during:
1st gear accelerating
the shift from 1st to 2nd
2nd gear accelerating
the shift from 2nd to 3rd
while in 3rd and slipping

Don't slip the trans any more than necessary, you will make the repair more expensive.

If the throttle pressure cable is OK, my gut feeling is that they damaged the outside lip seal on the front clutch drum at the rebuild. Sometimes that seal is tough to get in, because it is inaccessible during installation. Forcing the piston in will damage the seal.

The front clutch is used for 3rd gear as well as OD and reverse. Trans needs to come out to service the front clutch.

I have used the 1/4" black plastic air brake tubing from big trucks in a pinch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.