Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys... advise time and I need it. I am building for twins later this year(end goal is low 700hp) and want to know what charger I should get now? My overall goal is for a DD. I want something that spools good on the street. With that in mind what is a good turbo to buy now and run as a primary until I set it up for twins. And yes I do have studs, springs, and pushrods...sittin in the workbench waiting to go in.

· Registered
184 Posts
it seems like a very popular set up is a 62 or 64 on top and s480's on the bottm. mine is a 62 with a polished houseing on top and a htb3 74mm on the bottom

· Registered
1,031 Posts
i got a 66 lol that i will use for a really big twin set up in a couple of years i wish i had money to twin it earlyer than that but nope i broke lol

· Registered
806 Posts
:ditto: 62/480 is easy 700hp:thumbsup:
shane at wicked told me that a 62/71/14 over S480 would do 800 easy so for 700 i would say a 62 over S400 would do it. and i beleive that is shanes standard twins set up

· Premium Member
4,825 Posts
Yeah a 62/71 over a s400 will get you into the 700s. If you are concerned about spool you could run a 62/65 over the s400.

· Premium Member
2,315 Posts
If you are planning on twins later, the 62/65/14 will support about 550hp. I would not use the stainless turbine housing on a set of twins. The wastegate does not maintain its seal. The cast iron housing is also alot more affordable. And for the stainless housing advocates, I am not dissing them, just telling the truth, as a matter of fact we have both as options, cast iron or stainless.

· Diesel Junkie
10,448 Posts
"a hot piece of a$$ sittin shotgun "

we need a pic of that I'm sure she's good for 200HP :hehe:

I'm following for this but I'm shooting for the 1000 FTLBS mark rather than an HP number I think 4 digit torque is something to :drool2: over

· Diesel Junkie
10,448 Posts
just speed not comfort :hehe:

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK... I was going to go with the 62 but I guess plans have changed a little. I decided to say screw the 700hp number and not shut the door on further gains for the future. I went ahead and bought a HTT 64/71/13ss for now then will use it as the top in my twins later this year. I think I am torn between a s400 and s480 but cant make up my mind. Luckily I have several months to think about it. This crap is addicting!!! Thanks for all the input.
Any pointers on breaking in and heat cycling the new turbo? What temp. to stay under as well as boost? How long? etc... Thanks again for all the help.

· Registered
1,031 Posts
OK... I was going to go with the 62 but I guess plans have changed a little. I decided to say screw the 700hp number and not shut the door on further gains for the future. I went ahead and bought a HTT 64/71/13ss for now then will use it as the top in my twins later this year. I think I am torn between a s400 and s480 but cant make up my mind. Luckily I have several months to think about it. This crap is addicting!!! Thanks for all the input.
Any pointers on breaking in and heat cycling the new turbo? What temp. to stay under as well as boost? How long? etc... Thanks again for all the help.
nice turbo and do a 480 as for break in go a couple miles real easy then let er rip

· Premium Member
890 Posts
Is there anyone running a silver 64 in a twin set-up?? I'd love to have a set of twins in the future but I'd hate to have to buy two more turbos.. Sorry guys not trying to hyjack this thread...

· Premium Member
1,677 Posts
This is pretty much the exact same thing I'm doing. I've had the HTT 62/71/13 for about a year now and look to get the S480 this summer. Wicked stage 3 CP3 and 120HP injectors head studs and mp-8 are on the way right now.

Is there anything else I should look into for to optimize this setup?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.