Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
2000 3500 6spd 4x4 with 396k and counting on a trusty 53 block
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've finally had enough of my trailers being too small for my **** so I decided I want a gooseneck. Well I changed my mind on that when I saw the pricing on the turnover ball kit. I have however been looking for a fabrication project as it's been a while since I've done something cool so why not build my own. I didn't like the way the turnover kit mounted the top plate to the sides using those little ears and just 4 bolts, don't sit right with me and I knew i could make a stronger one. I copied their mounting system to the frame except u used 6 bolts instead of 4, and then welded everything else together. Now the entire assembly can be bolted or unbolted from the frame using the factory frame holes so that I've created no weak spots on the frame like so many people who drill their top rails or weld the hitches to the frame.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Yes I know my tires are bald, I'm poor leave me alone. Anyway for the frame mounts I used 1/2" x 4"x 25 1/2" secured using 4 5/8" grade 8 bolts and 2 1/2" gr8s.
Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Rectangle Road surface Wood Floor Composite material

Unfortunately my dime game wasn't on point this time around but I know they're strong so whatever, function over form. Bolted the images on and square the angle iron up then pulled them off and triple passed everything all the way around. Angle is 3x3 3/8" thick, should be plenty strong.
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tread

After that I bolted them back up and set the tubing on there to get it all measured out and squared. I used 2x2 3/16wall square tube for the 3 cross pieces, would've liked 1/4" wall but couldn't find any, I don't think the 1/16" will cause any issues though.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Road surface Wood
Automotive tire Wood Road surface Brick Urban design

Triple passed all the tubes all the way around as well, these came out lookin a little better since I was now about 4 hours into this.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Ended up using a plate setup from the store, I trust my welding skills with anything and know my mount is solid as ****, but now I have a guarantee that it should be good where it counts. And if the ball rips off this thing then that liability should fall to the manufacturer as long as no part of my setup fails with it, at least that's what I figure. If not I'm not worried anyway j think this setup should be perfectly fine. Anyway, with the tubes all welded I sat the plate on and gut it squared up and centered, ended up being able to get the ball 2" ahead of the center rear axle, believe the BW kits set you about 2-5 depending on the truck and application and everything I researched said anything ahead of center is better than nothing but 2-5 seems to be ideal range anyway so we should be all set for weight distribution.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Black Tread

Got them all tacked up and then flipped it over to weld the underside
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

Thay part definitely sucked, triple pass as usual, 20 stacks, makes for 60 total beads just here on the underside. This plate should rip apart before these welds let go.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Finished product besides paint, gotta pull it off and do a few more welds and then paint it all up. Thought about putting some 3/8" gussets on the angle iron under each tube, so 3 on each side but I'm not sure if it's really necessary, just overkill at this point. Overkill never hurt anyone though, guess I'll probably do that today. Just gotta get the hole cut in the bed floor and hope that my measurements are true since I pushed this setup as far forward as I could, and if ik off the bed floor crossmember might be getting chopped outta there since I can't adjust the position of this monster. Will post up more pics later but until then if anyone has any comments or criticism I'd love to hear it

Registered
Nice job! Thanks for sharing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couldn't resist the gusset idea, cheap piece of mind and it was easy to do. Made 6 out of some 3/8" X 2 flat stock
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Formerly Az2500Cummins
Holy smokes. What an absolute unit. I bet it's stronger than any other part of the truck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is a dime game?
Slang referring to a weld that looks like a stack of dimes, pretty much every welders main goal. A lot like this, managed to do that at work a few months back on a trailer we built
Wood Road surface Asphalt Rectangle Triangle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Holy smokes. What an absolute unit. I bet it's stronger than any other part of the truck
I sure hope it is haha, planning on slapping a 23k trailer on there so it sure better be strong. Just found a broken spring on my passenger side though, so I guess now I need new springs before I can buy anything cool

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All set up with the hole punched in the bed. Looks pretty good to me. Gotta grab some 7 wire cable and a plug so I can get that setup in the bed as well and she'll be totally finished
Wood Automotive tire Road surface Floor Flooring
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Alloy wheel

Registered
Mother of God that is beautiful. Having that flip ball mount can be super convenient if you use your bed for loading up stuff like sheet rock or plyboard, but if your carpentry skills match up with your welding game I'm sure you could easily make a setup that goes over the ball and raises the whole bed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mother of God that is beautiful. Having that flip ball mount can be super convenient if you use your bed for loading up stuff like sheet rock or plyboard, but if your carpentry skills match up with your welding game I'm sure you could easily make a setup that goes over the ball and raises the whole bed.
Thank you thank you I try to do the best I can haha. Learned a lot about fabrication from work so this stuff is kinda fun here and there, next up I'm gonna make a set of traction bars since not interested in spending $400+ on a set of premade ones. Still gotta wire up the trailer plug in the bed though

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're going to show us that project right? Please and Thank You?
You're damn straight I am. Probably won't be getting to that not another week or two, I wanna get the rear spring situation fixed first. Also still gotta wire up the trailer plug for the hitch, it rained here all day today so hopefully tomorrow I'll get to that. Gonna post up pics of course, can't leave the build thread unfinished. I think y'all will like my wiring setup too

Registered
Thank you thank you I try to do the best I can haha. Learned a lot about fabrication from work so this stuff is kinda fun here and there, next up I'm gonna make a set of traction bars since not interested in spending $400+ on a set of premade ones. Still gotta wire up the trailer plug in the bed though
The joints are over 1/2 the cost of the bars lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The joints are over 1/2 the cost of the bars lol
Yeah that's the unfortunate part I've come to find. However, im not going for some ridiculous heavy duty bars with the 300$ heims. All said and done the should end up costing me under 100$, granted the steel for the tubes and mounts is something I already have so I'm considering that free. They're still gonna be pretty heavy duty though, youll all see when I get that build going. If it works it works, if not then whatever, I won't be out for too much money

1 - 20 of 38 Posts