Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Build Guidance

1008 Views 14 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  CATSTACKS
Ok so I'm finally going to start my build. Im shooting for about 550 right now until i can get twins but thats later. The list i came up with is so:
5x14 SDX
62/68 E.D.
Fire ringed and studed
SB DD with upgrade shaft
4k Gov
No plate/Mack plug
Guess thats most of it. The only thing im not sure of is what order to do these since i cant buy it all at once. Looking for your guys opinions as to what to do in what order. Im thinking the gov springs and injectors first and i can tune it down if necessary until i get a clutch. Then after the clutch Im going to get it fire ringed and studded and have the valve springs installed and while the head is off and get it timed while its at the shop. Then the turbo will top things off for now. What you think? And as a side note, what timing do you recommend? Im thinking around 18? All input is appreciated.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
id go with the studs and firering first. 4k springs and plate. then get ur clutch. cause just that stuff wont ad lots of power. when u get ur clutch then u dont have to worry bout burnin ur old one up with ur injectors and turbo.

· Registered
71 Posts
I dont think you'd need a fire ring for 550? just studs, and why dont you go with twins?

· Sasquatch
3,788 Posts
I'd recommend oringing the head instead. The 62/68 is a good turbo, I'd say keep that and it'll go really well with twins if you'd like more power someday.

· Sasquatch
3,788 Posts
It depends, to oring the head it'll cost anywhere between 200 and 400. You can oring your head and use the stock studs, there's a few people making over 600 hp with the stock studs and orings. The studs will be around 400 dollars.

· Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See Im pretty sure my local shop will fire ring and stud it for 800 here but im not positive. I also heard of guys retorqueing their stock bolts on a stock gasket and had good luck with that. Think i could get away with retorqueing for awhile until i get my other turbo and stuff?

· Registered
1,028 Posts
no guarantee's but alot of guys do it and hold lots of power.....just dont run to much timing

· Sasquatch
3,788 Posts
I wouldn't recommend fire ringing unless if it were for competition only, quite a few people haven't had good luck with fire rings holding up to the high amount of heat cycles.

· Premium Member
8,859 Posts
I run stock head bolts and stock gasket, no oring or fire ring on my pull truck last year with a 63/17 turbo with no problems at all, but i did torque them down as tight as I could get them and ran 21.5* timing wouldnt run much over that anyways with stock pistons

· Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm alot of input guys keep it up. Think im going to oring it but still not sure when. What would it be like to run stock timing with 5x14 injectors for awhile? Until i can get it oringed, timed, and valve springs installed all at the same time.

· Registered
363 Posts
id say your fine with out fire ringing... unless your making SERIOUS power like kmk diesel said...
and last price i checked was at ATS in aurora colorado and the quote i got there was $1400! ((includes machining, rings, head gasket, everything you need...)) i didnt even pay that much for my engine haha... and <sed engine is a 2000 24v with my 180 pump and compound turbos... and i dont plan on saving money for fire ringing any time soon...

with my VGT my engine has seen the 50psi gauge pegged many a time... 248,ooo and no problems yet... only thing im leakin is black gold haha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.