Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is mostly directed at those who are running a Raptor or equiv. pump on their 2nd gen. who want the benefits of vapor separation like the Fass and AirDog systems but don't want to re-invest in a whole new system.

I built one in my truck that is running great. I am still testing it's full range of capability and should have results soon.

Mopar1973Man has posted my write-up on his site for me. Here it is Air Separator

To buy the Raptor and do it yourself only saves you about 100.00 from buying the AirDog right now as it is on sale but this will be more appealing once the price of the AirDog goes back up to 600.00+

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Looks pretty sweet man...i'm fixing to have to buy a new lift pump, and i don't know what kind i want yet...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks pretty sweet man...i'm fixing to have to buy a new lift pump, and i don't know what kind i want yet...

The way I figure. Why keep spending money on stock pumps when 390-400.00 for the Raptor will last you for life (lifetime warranty) It is hard to swallow on a limited budget though. :nowork::sofa1::truck::shots::sofa1:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:sofa::bump:

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
This thread is mostly directed at those who are running a Raptor or equiv. pump on their 2nd gen. who want the benefits of vapor separation like the Fass and AirDog systems but don't want to re-invest in a whole new system.

I built one in my truck that is running great. I am still testing it's full range of capability and should have results soon.

Mopar1973Man has posted my write-up on his site for me. Here it is Air Separator

To buy the Raptor and do it yourself only saves you about 100.00 from buying the AirDog right now as it is on sale but this will be more appealing once the price of the AirDog goes back up to 600.00+

It will be a while. The sale has been extended for quite a while!!:thumbsup: Great work though. Nice write up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will be a while. The sale has been extended for quite a while!!:thumbsup: Great work though. Nice write up. :thumbsup:
I like how you correct me in BOLD RED LETTERS it's great man. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
I basically do it so people know what Im commenting to. Dont take this the wrong way. But the system that you have created. You should put some clear lines on it while its in action. And take a nice road trip and tell me what you find out about it without having a return. Your set up is effective to a certain point. If you dont have a return for the air to escape it is still in there. And during an actually drive, you will get enough air that the filter can no longer "hold it back" and becomes so filled with air. It has no choice but to pass to the engine.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I basically do it so people know what Im commenting to. Dont take this the wrong way. But the system that you have created. You should put some clear lines on it while its in action. And take a nice road trip and tell me what you find out about it without having a return. Your set up is effective to a certain point. If you dont have a return for the air to escape it is still in there. And during an actually drive, you will get enough air that the filter can no longer "hold it back" and becomes so filled with air. It has no choice but to pass to the engine.
I haven't taken it personally yet:thumbsup:
Have you done the research yourself? Yes there will be some air that gets through under certain conditions. Even after all the reading I've done on it I haven't been able to pin down what those conditions might be in real time. Yes they say if there happens to be a vaccum on the filtered side some air bubbles will form on the inside of the filter but when does that occur.

There will be some pressure drop accross the filter that may also let some pass but I am doing some tests on that right now. In the event that some does pass under normal everyday conditions (as opposed to a failure somewhere in the system) I am working on making a small return from inside the filter as well.

I do invite and enjoy (mostly) those in my path who play the devil's advocate. You're doing a great job:thumbsup:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless the person playing "devil's advocate" is my ex. Then I don't take it so well. :hehe::hehe:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have driven 280 miles now with the canister outlet hooked to a loop of clear line through the cab and back to IP so I see all of the fuel going to IP.
I also have a line hooked to the supply side of the pump and introduced gulps of air into the system @ various throttle positions while running down the road and so far not a speck of air/vapor in the supply line to VP44 :party018:
I don't know how important it is to have a return line on the filtered side but just for kicks I will probably put some sort of relief valve in so I can let any accumulated air out of the filter itself if present. That will give me an idea what volume of air actually makes it's way through the filter. (if any under normal curcumstances)

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
I see you got 2Tone's attention...:hehe::thumbsup:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your set up is effective to a certain point. If you dont have a return for the air to escape it is still in there. And during an actually drive, you will get enough air that the filter can no longer "hold it back" and becomes so filled with air. It has no choice but to pass to the engine.
Can you tell me when this will occure in real #s? ie. At __ pressure difference/drop across filter X amount of present vapor will pass through the filter.
That would be in positive #s as the entire system is under pressure not vaccum.

I see you got 2Tone's attention...:hehe::thumbsup:
I see that! :hi::popcorn::popcorn::stirpot::popcorn:

·
Registered
956 Posts
How do us guys with short boxes pull this off when we barely have enough room to mount our raptor in the first place?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i will be trying this one day.

thanks sam!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How do us guys with short boxes pull this off when we barely have enough room to mount our raptor in the first place?
????Short boxes????? Mine is a quad cab long box. I haven't been under a short box to see how little room they have.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yeah, we barely have enough room to mount the raptor under there on the frame, on the inside atleast, don't really want to mount it out the outside of the frame, have to make a loop over to the pass die to make this kit then loop back over to the VP?

Or does anyone else with a short box have an idea?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, we barely have enough room to mount the raptor under there on the frame, on the inside atleast, don't really want to mount it out the outside of the frame, have to make a loop over to the pass die to make this kit then loop back over to the VP?

Or does anyone else with a short box have an idea?
I saw pictures of an AirDog mounted just behind the transfer case http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/138959-01-ctd-fuel-issue-4.html#post1498489 Scroll down the page. There are some pictures

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts

Nice idea. Could you list the part number of the filter housing and go into a little more detail about how you built it and how it works? A step by step would be nice.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice idea. Could you list the part number of the filter housing and go into a little more detail about how you built it and how it works? A step by step would be nice.
What I think I have discovered is that the particular filter housing is not all that important as long as the filter media will be submerged and you can get a port in the top for the return loop.
The important thing is to get the flow right. Basically a divided flow or slightly more in the return loop is the important part of the setup.

I can work on a step by step for the 2nd gen housing but the principal will work in other housing designs as well. It is just a matter of finding a spot to port the housing at or very near the top and getting the flow set up and metered properly.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts