Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Broken maplights in overhead console? Check this out!

So I parked my truck and reached up to hit the map light so that I could read something. CLUNK! The light turned on, but did not have the same click to it that it used to.

Sure enough, when I reached up to turn it off, there was no click; the plastic lens just pushed upwards and didn't touch anything.

I pulled the lens out and pulled out the bulb to turn it off... When I dismantled the console, this is what I found...

The little plastic switch fell apart. Cheap plastic junk. Looks like they were replaced before because there were little red butt-splices on the wiring.

I found some replacements from Radio Shack. SPDT switches. They're metal and fit pretty well. Seems more durable than what used to be there. Catalog Number 275-1555 (I need to double check the number when I get home. The pic on the website does not match what I have.)

Be sure to wire the black wire from the bulb socket to the center of the switch. Then the back from the harness to one side and the yellow to the other side.

The switches come with two nuts, one wide washer and one star lock washer. One nut and the wide washer on the back and the star washer and the other nut on the front hold the switches at the proper height. The back of the switch will not hit the roof (About 1/4 inch clearance.)

Then there's a plastic button that goes on the shaft.

You may need to trim up the nub on the lens that hits the switch. The nub on mine held the switch up so that it wouldn't click properly. I had to trim off like 1/32nd of an inch. I just used wire cutters to lightly take the point down.

And they work exactly like stock... Light comes on when I open the door. If the door is closed, one push turns it on and another push turns it off.

Cost is like $4 a piece.

Mini SPDT 3-Amp Push On/Push Off Switch - RadioShack.com

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey thanks I'm gonna look at those.

·
Hemi
12,666 Posts
Thanks! My driver side one is messed up!
I've tried glueing and taping it and they both let go after a while.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That is a good Idea I bet 1/4 of the trucks out there have broken map lights, cheap plastic shouldn't be allowed in diesel trucks. I'm going to do the same thing

·
Registered
80 Posts
i had the same problem on my 2000 ram i had i just super glued the switch back together and never had any more problems with it

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Thank you!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Great write up man. I will be doing this when I put in my blue dash lights. Any one know of a way to put BRIGHT LEDs in there instead?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Nicely done...I just ended up using a tiny zip tie to keep all of the cheapo stock bits together...so far so good...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Looks like a great idea, the entire harness with new switches is 20 bucks at the dealer. number 1-05013609AA, the date on my bag was 11-01-2010 so pretty recent, but i like the bigger switch he uses here, and may last longer depending on how much you use them i suppose.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
It takes a number 906 bulb in the socket.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mjd does the back light take the same bulb? I would look but I'm at work right now

·
Marble Crusher
1,857 Posts
looks good, ill definetly be doing this whenever mine break!

-Jordan-

·
Marble Crusher
1,857 Posts
damn another double post! lol

-Jordan-

·
Registered
65 Posts
Another option for when they break is to just remove the switches completely and with a little rewiring, wire it so that it just uses the dimmer switch. Since the map lights are setup to already come on when you turn you light dimmer switch all the way on, the wires and such are there and easy to wire up just to that.

This is what I did, now to turn on the map lights I just dial my dimmer switch all the way on. Only downfall is you then cannot control each one separately, but for me didn't matter as I don't use them that much.

Reactions: 6x6

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks,
Will add this to my todo list.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like a great idea, the entire harness with new switches is 20 bucks at the dealer. number 1-05013609AA, the date on my bag was 11-01-2010 so pretty recent, but i like the bigger switch he uses here, and may last longer depending on how much you use them i suppose.
I had no clue it was that cheap... When I go to the dealer, I'm used to bringing my own jar of lube.

BTW, for everybody. That part number is correct. They have updated the part but the website shows the old part.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts