Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I finally got some pics of my broken shifter. You can see that the left side of the bracket's weld never even penetrated the main part of the shifter. The last pics show the other side. It will give you an idea on how it is supposed to look. For those of you who haven't kept up, my truck wouldn't stay in gear. The shifter felt like it was in a bowl of jelly. The dealership wanted to put in a whole new transmission at a cost of $4000 plus labor. The truck had 35,600 miles on it, but had turned 36 months old in November of last year. The transmission wasn't covered under the 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty, so I was on my own. I took the shifter out and saw that it was broken. I ordered a new one at the dealership and $342.42 plus 20 minutes of work later, My truck is running like a new one.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I just wanted to put the pictures on here so those who are having the same problems won't have to go through what I did. I sent a copy of my bill to Chrysler. They will let me know in a few days if they will reimburse any of the cost of the shifter. Even if they don't, I am sure proud I didn't have to buy a new transmission!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got more news yesterday evening. The guy from Chrysler called me back and told me that after reviewing my case, they have decided to reimburse me the full amount for the shifter. I couldn't believe it! The situation went from $4000 + Labor to $342.42 and now down to $0.

Reactions: griff44

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I was told by the salesman when I bought my truck that it had a 5 year / 100,000 mile "powertrain" warranty. After researching it some more, I found out that the 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty only covers the "Cummins Diesel Engine." If you buy a new Ram, the 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty covers the entire "powertrain," not just the engine. Apparantly, they didn't think the '07.5's were good enough to have an entire "powertrain" warranty.

The funny thing is that if I had bought a rebuilt transmission from Mopar, it would have a 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty on it. They will cover a rebuilt transmission for 5 years or 100,000 miles, but they will only cover the brand new transmission that comes in your truck for 3 years / 36,000 miles. Not even the guy from Chrysler Customer Service could explain that one to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I was told by the salesman when I bought my truck that it had a 5 year / 100,000 mile "powertrain" warranty. After researching it some more, I found out that the 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty only covers the "Cummins Diesel Engine." If you buy a new Ram, the 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty covers the entire "powertrain," not just the engine. Apparantly, they didn't think the '07.5's were good enough to have an entire "powertrain" warranty.

The funny thing is that if I had bought a rebuilt transmission from Mopar, it would have a 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty on it. They will cover a rebuilt transmission for 5 years or 100,000 miles, but they will only cover the brand new transmission that comes in your truck for 3 years / 36,000 miles. Not even the guy from Chrysler Customer Service could explain that one to me.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I do not mean to be a bother but where did you find the information about the warranty and not covering the transmission? that is the first time I have ever heard of that. One thing I have learned, never trust a sales person. All they are there for is to make up the minds for the people that do not know what they want. just my $0.02

·
Toyota and Cummins Nut!
1,390 Posts
The transmission isn't covered under the 100k "powertrain" warranty?
My thoughts exactly. Isnt a transmission powertrain??? What good is a warranty if it doenst cover anything. Do we not have a 5 yr/100K powertrain warranty or is that just the diesel engine?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No bother at all. I first found out about the warranty not covering the transmission from the dealership. When I got home, I looked at my warranty book that came with my truck and sure enough, it isn't covered. It specifically says that only the Cummins Diesel Engine is covered under the 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty.

Here is a link to the warranty booklet: https://www.dodge.com/crossbrand/warranty/pdf/07_Ram_Diesel_1-40.pdf

The bottom line is that the salesman lied to me when I bought the truck. Another one of life's lessons learned I guess.:banghead:

·
Registered
265 Posts
No bother at all. I first found out about the warranty not covering the transmission from the dealership. When I got home, I looked at my warranty book that came with my truck and sure enough, it isn't covered. It specifically says that only the Cummins Diesel Engine is covered under the 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty.

Here is a link to the warranty booklet: https://www.dodge.com/crossbrand/warranty/pdf/07_Ram_Diesel_1-40.pdf

The bottom line is that the salesman lied to me when I bought the truck. Another one of life's lessons learned I guess.:banghead:
Wow that is terrible. It is like they keep that on file just for the cases like this. So the "power train" warranty only covers the engine (which is covered by cummins) and nothing else is covered. That is terrible, the brochure does not make mention of transmission, transfercase, differentials, nothing; that is terrible! :buttkick:

·
Registered
86 Posts
My lower boot was toast so while replacing the boot I fudged I would add the quart I was low via the shifted hole. Easier than the fill plug at that point. After removing the shifted assembly I noticed that I had the same side broken as you did. I didn't want to drop the 400 bucks so I fabed a new piece and rig welded it back on. Works amazing again. I found the ball a.d other metal piece on the magnetic drian plug when I pulled it out. Not sure how long it has been this way but glad its fixed......

Just wanted to post this so people know it can be fixed. A small piece of 1/8 th metal, a die grinder and a steady rig weld does the job.

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,375 Posts
Wow that is terrible. It is like they keep that on file just for the cases like this. So the "power train" warranty only covers the engine (which is covered by cummins) and nothing else is covered. That is terrible, the brochure does not make mention of transmission, transfercase, differentials, nothing; that is terrible! :buttkick:
Cummins covers nothing on these trucks. Dodge buys the engines without a warranty and Dodge warrantees the engines.

·
Cummins Nut
340 Posts
Cummins covers nothing on these trucks. Dodge buys the engines without a warranty and Dodge warrantees the engines.
Dodge argues about the WARRANty!!!!LOL....:stirpot:

·
Registered
48 Posts
BTT. I wanted to thank the OP. I found the ball bearing and cup/rod today during fluid change. Google Search brought up this topic. My early 06' also has this problem. Off to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are welcome! Glad I could help. This message board has been a lifesaver for me several times. I'm just glad I could help someone too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
5183298AC is the one I have on the invoice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts