Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to test a fuel gauge and sender on my 97 1ton? The gauge usually reads empty or almost empty even after i fill the tank.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Only time my gauge reads somewhat correct is if you leave the truck on the level with the key on for a minute or so. Soon as you start moving drops down a 1/4 tank or so.

·
AlGores worst nightmare
2,010 Posts
Common problem, sender is probably bad. Sender alone is about $50-$60, a complete reman "fuel module" is about $125 from the dealer.
Need to either drop the tank or raise the bed for access.
For now fill it and set the trip odometer, refill around 400 miles. Might make 550-600 but might not too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, well i know you dont want to run these things out of fuel, its hard on the pump isnt it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
go to your dodge dealer and buy a sender for 70 bucks and get it fixed right the first time already had to do it to my truck the only place you can get it is dodge

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
Running it out of fuel is still not great for a p-pump as the top end of the pump is still lubed by fuel, but they arent near as bad as the completely fuel lubed pumps like the VP's!

Like mentioned above, just watch the milage and youll be fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was able to repair my sender for free as my local dodge dealer ordered me the wrong unit. Try finding that out when you have your tank dropped with the truck half way inside of an attached garage with night time approaching. The problem is the sensing contacts loose their tension on the board they make contact with. There is a metal bracket that spans the length of the sender and attaches it to the complete sending unit. My repair was to lightly grind away the plastic of the sender around where the screw holes are. This will cause the metal bracket to put a little more pressure on the float rod. I know some pics would help but i didn't take any.

I would have much rather replaced the sender, but given my circumstances, doing this on a saturday parked halfway in my garage its what I had to do to make it work at the time. Not to mention it was free and my gauge reads the correct fuel level now.:headbang:

·
AlGores worst nightmare
2,010 Posts
Cool! Plus if it goes bad again, you'll know what to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my truck will read a full tank when i fill it then ill drive it for 400 miles and ill be at a half tank and then when i get to pump the tank im puttin 30 galllons into the damn thing my tank is only 34 is that the sending unit as well ??

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had to pull the sender to do my Airdog.... I thought a messed up the float level... Might have :confused013:

At 1/4 tank she is dead EMPTY... thanks to a fuel pressure gauge... dropping to 0 then back up... then down... I hit a fuel station in about a mile (thank god I was in town) and pumped 34 gallons.... :doh:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I myself was and am currently having issues on my 98. it said I was on E after only 280 to 300 miles while it only took 17 to 18 gallons to fill putting it at just about a half tank. I have replaced the sending unit twice now and on both the new ones the gauge reads empty when its all the way full, and after 80 miles of driving goes to full and stays there tell i have to fill up again, I have swapped wires around and checked resistance an such, does anyone have any ideas on whats going on with the thing, or seen it before?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
old forum lol... have you checked to make sure your gauge is working?

with the key on acc. (dont start it) but have power on...
unplug the wire thats on top of your fuel tank. the fuel gauge should go down past the empty. then connect just the two middle wires. the gauge should go all the way to full. if it does this then its working.

also check the fuel gauge wiring along the frame running up to the gauge cluster. make sure all the connectors are clean and not dirty. i seen on some forums where people said that the wire for the fuel gauge was melted to the frame.

·
Registered
20 Posts
im having same problems with these crappy senders.I checked everything and rechecked.All worked throughout the different levels on the new one.Put it in tank and now it will only read just under full for over a hundred miles now.Just sits,I think im going to put a capasitance type in anyone done this before

·
Registered
328 Posts
old forum lol... have you checked to make sure your gauge is working?

with the key on acc. (dont start it) but have power on...
unplug the wire thats on top of your fuel tank. the fuel gauge should go down past the empty. then connect just the two middle wires. the gauge should go all the way to full. if it does this then its working.

also check the fuel gauge wiring along the frame running up to the gauge cluster. make sure all the connectors are clean and not dirty. i seen on some forums where people said that the wire for the fuel gauge was melted to the frame.
Is their a write up anywhere for this DIY repair?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
A very good investment is the $30 service manual cd from genos. Tells you how and what to test for the fuel gauge.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got mine working, turns out i ended up with the wrong sender, i guess there is a split in the year and I had to have mine looked up by the vin # to get the right one. works great now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts