Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

broken exhaust manifold

1371 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  littlechickenfarmer
Noticed I have a crack in the manifold right between 3 and 4. Question is does that cause me alot of trouble? and should I replace it with a stock mainifold or something else? any Ideas, I am likely not the first.

LCF
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
well you are more then likely lossing boost mine cracked i had it welded 50000 miles ago been fine every since was low on money at the time or i would have upgraded keep a eye on your manifold bolts they like to back out i check mine every oil change i was missing 2 bolts on mine when it cracked i think thats why it cracked

· Registered
1,130 Posts
I got the ATS 3 piece maniflod. The ports are huge compared to stock. Think it was around $400 shipped. Check with JKidd.

· Registered
274 Posts
I goat the PDI form west texas diesel performance, cost me bout $460 shipped. My factory manifold sounded about like yours cracked and loosing boost. The Pulse flow manifolds make a pretty good difference. just expensive.

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a used ats 3 piece on kijiji, He was asking 400 with the turbo, I offered $200, I think from what Im hearing an ats is good enough quality to risk buying used.

· Registered
1,316 Posts
I was under the impression that the ports are smaller. Smaller ports will actually help performance by decreasing spool up time. Oh, and they don't crack like the stock one does. My BD manifold is a lot fatter, but that's because the iron is THICK.

As to used parts, it's a piece of iron. Used is just as good as new IMO with the 3 piece manifolds. And you are definitely losing power, and fuel efficiency. An exhaust leak ahead of the turbo will prevent the turbo from spooling adequately.

I wouldn't consider putting a stock manifold back on. They are kind of notorious for warping and cracking. Especially if you do any fueling mods.

· Registered
1,130 Posts
Thats a deal for $400 with a good turbo. Might be able to sell that to someone to offset the cost if you don't need it.

· Registered
1,984 Posts
i found a company on the internet that was selling a 3piece manifold for like $300 i called and he told me that he uses the same supplier as ATS. Which is more than likely true because ATS doesnt do their stuff in house. Look around and you can save yourself some money. Also buy a 3 piece not a factory one. It took me a few hours to do the swap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.