Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally got a day off work and was going to tackle a few loose ends with my truck starting with the leaky dipstick tube. Went to remove the old one and it broke off flush with the block. I’ve tried threading a extractor type bit and using a slide hammer, no luck. Tried a clothes hanger with a hook bent into the end of it hoping to grab the bottom of the remaining piece of tube. No luck there either. Anyone ever have this problem that could point me towards a solution? I’m on the verge of trying to just punch it into the pan. Then maybe use a magnet to guide the broken tube towards the drain on the oil pan and attempt to fish it out of the hole. Maybe I’d even have room to drop the pan enough to stick a flexible magnet down into the pan and get the broken piece out? All I know is I had to take a break from this PITA and vent a little bit. I’ll go back to cussing at it and report back with my method of success, if any.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update, ended up plugging the hole for now. Had to be able to drive to work today. I found a company Oil Tube Extractor | Cummins Diesel | PMXPTE400 | Accessories | ProMAXX Tool that makes dipstick extraction tools. I spoke to a guy yesterday and I was told that if I send him measurements of the ID that he can make a bit to remove it. So at this point I’ll just hope my plug holds up and until I can get that bit in to give it a try. I’m kind of doubtful it may work since I was able to get a pretty good bite on it yesterday with a tapered style bit and a slide hammer yet it didn’t even budge. I’m still open for suggestions to try while waiting for this bit to come in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've seen guys get a thread tap just bigger than the ID of the tube. Cut threads into the pipe, then pull on the tap to get it out. Heat would be your friend here (Propane torch) but not too much! No fires lol.

Not exactly easy to get in there, but I think it's your best bet.

Chay

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen guys get a thread tap just bigger than the ID of the tube. Cut threads into the pipe, then pull on the tap to get it out. Heat would be your friend here (Propane torch) but not too much! No fires lol.

Not exactly easy to get in there, but I think it's your best bet.

Chay
I definitely agree with you that heat would be extremely helpful. When attempting this yesterday I thought my torch was out of propane, bought more fuel on my trip to parts store then got back home only to figure out my nozzle has gone bad, I wasn’t out of fuel 🤦‍♂️At that point I didn’t have time for another trip to the store. I do intend to give this another go on my next day off. Sucks having to pull starter and take off fender liner etc just to have room to work. It limits me to only having time to give it another go on a day off. I’ll definitely have heat by next day off, if I haven’t gotten the extraction bit by that time then I think I will try a tap, I’ve just been hesitant to do so because god forbid I break it off in there too somehow. If I go with the tap route I think I’m going to thread a nut down onto the tap and try prying. Surely I can get more force that way rather than the slide hammer method I was so dead set on using last time. Also thanks for the input.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Stuff like this is why I'm happy to have two vehicles and my job not be dependent on my truck lol. Looks exactly like something that would happen to me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah having another vehicle definitely makes working on the truck a lot less stressful. I sold my other truck recently, which I already regret. Luckily my girlfriend has a car and a work schedule that makes it possible for us to function with one vehicle if necessary. Unfortunately though she left town today for his sisters graduation so I had to be back up and running today. I really didn’t want to drive because of possible oil contamination but at least I think I kept it pretty clean and the pieces I did thread in there I greased before hand which definitely seemed to help catch any shavings... now that I’ve had time to brew my next plan of attack I do have a restored sense of faith that I can get that dang thing outta there.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
On the upside, it's not urgent, unless your truck burns an inordinate amount of oil. I probably use the dipstick once every couple years, like if I'm halfway through a x country road trip towing and "feel" like I should see if it's drinking oil. Otherwise haven't checked oil on the dipstick as a regular occurrence since maybe 2012 or something.

I was going to suggest cutting a tap into it to get a bite on it. You'll get shavings in the pan either way, so worst case, can you reach it to drill it out if all else fails?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with you that it’s not an immediate concern. Although I’d rather not let it go unresolved for too long. My only concern really is the possibility that I may have already contaminated the oil. That’s the only reason I kind of want to get it done quickly, just to go ahead and get fresh oil and a new filter on. I’ve been on a quest to locate and stop all the oil leaks, so far the oil pan gasket has been replaced which seemed to stop a lot of my leakage. It wasn’t severe a few drops on the ground overnight. Dipstick tube was the next source of oil I found. Secondary turbo oil drain tube plug is next.

It’s definitely reachable after removing fender liner, wheel, fuel filter, and starter. Removing the heat exchanger would even give more room to work. I will probably delete the exchanger when I go back to work on the tube. During this process I noticed the exchanger is leaking. It doesn’t seem to be cross contaminating the trans fluid and coolant luckily. I’ve been keeping close eye on coolant level and it is steady and the trans fluid doesn’t appear to be contaminated or gaining/losing fluid either. I currently just use it as DD and will install a remote trans fluid cooler as soon as possible. I think I should be okay with the exchanger delete until then.

Damn it’s one thing after another.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts