Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally happened. I wasn’t sure it ever would but here we are.

Cruising to work this morning about 8 minutes (6 miles) into my commute I reached the highway. As I was merging on I rolled into the throttle about 45% in 6th gear and not 1.5 seconds later I heard a crunch and the trans let go. Pulled over to the side and cut the truck off and tried to see what the shifter would do. Won’t go into 3rd or 6th and the shifter almost gets stuck in 3rd. Yikes.

I started the truck back up and verified that 2nd, 4th, 5th and reverse were working. Trans is making a pretty bad sound but I figure it can’t get a whole lot worse so I limped it back home in 5th. Drove completely normal despite the transmissions cries of pain.

I got ahold of a couple of rebuilders and basically until they see what’s wrong I don’t know what it’ll cost to fix it. I’ve decided I’m going to remove it and disassemble it myself. I was going to take it out anyways and it’s not too terribly hard just to get into the case and take a look so that’s where I’m going to start. Curious to see what’s cooked

If you guys have any ideas about what broke let me know, I’ll update this thread with the carnage.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Cheapest I found without a core deposit. I don't have the link its on my work pc. I though though about just going with a g56 transmission since their parts are easier to find compared to the 5600 but there is a lot more work with the croossmember, driveshafter,a nd possible change in 4x4 splines to mate to the g56

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Check out Cody at SuperStick Transmissions. He seems to be the man when it comes to NV5600's.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Looks like its time to get a Ameria F-yea nv5600

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve decided I’m just gonna rebuild it myself in my garage. I’m going to send the 6th gear pair out for cryo treatment, maybe a couple of others. Should be solid when I’m done. And it won’t cost me $3k+.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ive seen the videos on Bruce Wilson's channel with that superstick nv5600 and man, that thing is a bad unit. Id spring for that if It were me. He shifts that trans like a damn corvette.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts