Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2001 extended cab short box, auto, with a K&N cold air intake and 4" exhaust. That is all that is done to the truck right now. When I was driving it recently it incrementally started loosing all power. The rpm's would drop down to about a grand and it would just sit there doing nothing even with the throttle all the way down. I would have to turn the truck off than back on in order for it to get it power back in order do drive it and get it back to the house. So still kinda newly getting into the diesel world I brought it to the local dodge dealer and had them run a diagnostic test on it. In doing so the shop told me that the waist gate on the turbo was stuck and or sticking shut, my stock lift pump and vp44 are junk also and need to be replaced. With these three things plus labor it would be about 5k to turn my truck back to stock. That is what I do not want is a stock truck, so if all of you on here, and your vast wisdom could point me in some sort of right direction and help me with the parts that I would need to replace the parts listed above and also give it a little more go power that would be great. Eventually I would like to be at about 550 hp give or take a bit when everything is said and done. i have $5000 bucks so any advice on injectors turbos head studs controllers lift pumps ect... ect... would be amazing. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
the first thing to do is fricken search!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The throttle problem is the VP44. This is how mine went out. The good news is it's not that bad to do yourself. Diesel Dan does a great video on You Tube. As far as the Waste Gate problem, if it's closed, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll need a new turbo to get the horsepower you're looking for any ways and it won't hurt to run it that way until then. Your options for a VP are numerous and you might want to get one of the many hot VP's out there. I'm running a Thoroughbred Hot VP and have been happy with it.

Reactions: JakrRV

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Well first things first, your truck wont run with a busted injection pump, so track that down and scan the truck for codes. When you're sure the VP44 is toast(sounds like a classic dead pedal condition = dead vp44), get a new SO VP44. Hot rod pumps are not worth it IMO. SO VP is good for 600-650hp. Install it yourself along with an aftermarket lift pump and you will save a bundle of money. $1500 if you do the work yourself. Then start saving for transmission mods, a good box, 62mm turbo, and 150 hp injectors.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i that i am just going to get the re-manufactured vp44 because that would be more than plenty for what i am going to do with the truck because the only thing i really haul with it is cords of wood and a 26' aluminium fishing boat. I was either thinking of the fass 150 or the ad2 150 or 165 gph which i think should be more that sufficient for what i need also. The next item would be the turbo from what i have read the ATS Aurora 3000 Turbo kit. i have read good things about them and herd good things about them from other people on here but i am open to all ideas about the turbo. as for the box i was thinking the edge juice with adrenaline or the new cs or cts. I was looking at some 150 sticks and i was thinking about the ddp 150s but thought on different sticks to are more than welcome. after all of this i would really like some head studs because i would rather not have anything happen after investing this much into the truck. i would like some input on these thought because i do not want to cheep out on them but i do not even plan on going over 550 hp so $2000 for head studs seams steep to me. but yeah thats the plan for now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
the first thing to do is fricken search!
Really… dang take it easy man he’s obviously new and trying to get some help with his rig. I mean if you don’t want to help a fellow Cummins owner out don’t post, it’s that easy.:stirpot:

Btw I would get the transmission built before adding any real power like Injectors, turbos, programmers. You’ll hate it when the trans starts to slip and your unable to put the power to the ground. If I could have gone back I would have done the lift pump+gauges first then the trans and then power adders.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i understand exactly where your coming from but right now its just sitting there and runs like so to say ha so based on what the diagnostic said from the dealer who i have trusted in the past i would need a turbo lift pump and a vp44 to get back on the road. And that will be about 3000 and the best deal on a built tranny i could find by me was 3k which is more than i have to spend right now. that is the only reason i listed the controller and injectors and head studs above the tranny because of the funds i have right now. but yes the tranny will be coming very very shortly after i just want to get it back on the road. i have a car i am driving for now (unfortunately), to save the tranny it has in it till i can get it built up. so with the 2k i have left i was hoping to get the rest of my stuff i need and would like to put in it so i can at least drive it if i need it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Really… dang take it easy man he’s obviously new and trying to get some help with his rig. I mean if you don’t want to help a fellow Cummins owner out don’t post, it’s that easy.:stirpot:

Btw I would get the transmission built before adding any real power like Injectors, turbos, programmers. You’ll hate it when the trans starts to slip and your unable to put the power to the ground. If I could have gone back I would have done the lift pump+gauges first then the trans and then power adders.:thumbsup:
i totally :agree2: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
A cheap way to get more power out of your injectors is to just buy new nozzles, if you kno what your doin its well worth the money, i bought my 01 completely stock, threw on a adrenaline (which i later got rid of and went with an edge) and right away the tranny started goin, i just got done saving up for awhile and bought twins, the edge, new nozzles, 5k goerend tranny, ladder bars, and all the nessicary gauges... I guess i figured one couldnt really be had without the other so why not juss save up a boatload and go spend 10k lol, if u were to go with a hot VP i would go with scheids, but if u wanna get crazy go mechanical! P-Pump! Anyways thats just the luck i had with my 01 i hope your situation gets better!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,709 Posts
If you are looking for an upgraded turbo on a budget I would get a hold of jkidd on the forum he sells d-tech chargers for a good price.... They are s300's in varying sizes hr could set you up with one for a lot better price than ats the so vp will do you fine and I personally would do a airdog over a fads just because airdog(pure flow technologies) has 1000 times better customer service and they will swap your pump out no questions asked if there is a problem:thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so here is what i have now and will have shortly when it comes in.

bd super b turbo
AD2 165gph
Edge Juice with Attitude CTS
12mm arp head studs

I was thinking of either the bd 150 injectors or the ddp 150. I can get the bd 150's for $550 to my door and the ddp 150's for $740 to my door. input on these or other brands?

Than once the truck is up and running again its tranny time ha :)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I've heard good things about SDX injectors, and they're 500. Or Farmboys injectors. FBD 150's are 450.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Double post :doh:

·
Registered
68 Posts
ok so here is what i have now and will have shortly when it comes in.

bd super b turbo
AD2 165gph
Edge Juice with Attitude CTS
12mm arp head studs

I was thinking of either the bd 150 injectors or the ddp 150. I can get the bd 150's for $550 to my door and the ddp 150's for $740 to my door. input on these or other brands?

Than once the truck is up and running again its tranny time ha :)
Looks like a great start! It also looks like you're missing an important piece...the VP Pump.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks, Yeah i have decided to put reman vp44 back in because from what i have herd it can go up to 600 or 650 hp. Plus i got a hella deal on it :D also i miss typed the turbo i have is a BD SUPER B SPECIAL, also a really good deal i believe i got on it. so after doing alot of reading and research and phone calls i have decided i am going to go with come farmboys diesel 200 sticks. From what i have herd and read and talked about to various ppl is that the 200's would help the special out alot more. plus they are not that expensive, so that means more money for the trans in my mind.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hope that they do.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

agreeeed :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts