Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have posted a few questions over the past month about some PS and Boost issues I have been having and I received some great replies that really helped. This is the first time I have ever been on a forum and it has been great. Just when I thought I had all my problems with the PS & Hydroboost figured out, this happened!!!! Please let me know if you have any ideas of what could be going on & if it should be covered under my 100,xxx mile warranty.

So, yesterday I was driving down the highway at 70mph and out of no where a loud thunder/rattle came from under the hood. 5 seconds after hearing this noise, the check engine light came on and every other light on the gauges (as if i turned the ignition on to start it). I safely merged to the shoulder and tried to restart the truck and at first it wouldn't, but after a min. or two it fired up but I was VERY rough and the loud rattle was still there! There was no smoke/steam coming from under the hood & i check under the hood and couldn't fine anything abnormal (oil appears to be full as well). It was obviously not in any condition to be driven so I had it towed to a "stealership" hoping it will be covered under warranty!? I have know idea what happened and need some input. Sorry, but it is hard for me to describe what happened as to I am very new to diesels & I have only owned my truck for 1 month! I cant believe I have had so many issues & so far the truck has been a huge disappointment! I am truely stumped & need some help! :S:

Also, Is anyone from the St. Louis area that knows some good mechanics or shops? I ask because I have heard some horror stories about "stealerships" denying warranty work and If they try it on me I am surely not going to pay them to do the work!!! Let me know...

Thanks!

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,806 Posts
if its the motor then ya it should be if your within the year and mileage for the warranty terms. You have no mods othe then the air and exhaust so i would think you shouldnt have any problems.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Well if all I have to go on, is Thunder/Rattle, I am thinking maybe you lost a crank position sensor and the timing went way advanced. That would make a bad dieseling noise. And I suppose that the computer would freak because nothing was matching up with what it is looking for. But that is just a big guess. MOre info would be helpfull.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if all I have to go on, is Thunder/Rattle, I am thinking maybe you lost a crank position sensor and the timing went way advanced. That would make a bad dieseling noise. And I suppose that the computer would freak because nothing was matching up with what it is looking for. But that is just a big guess. MOre info would be helpfull.
Yeah, sorry for not giving a whole lot of info but that was the weird thing about it. It just happened out of nowhere with out warning. The truck was cruising extremely smooth on the highway with nothing abnormal, then outta nowhere it just went ballistic. It literally sounded like a bomb went off (actually sounded like a jake brake but higher pitch and more of a rattle!!) But there was no smoke and all my stock gauges were normal for about 5 seconds and then it shut down. Also, under the hood everything looked fine. What does a bad dieseling sound sound like??? I had a little bit of black blow by out of the exhaust, but it seems like it has been doing that since I bought it, & it only comes out when I get a little into the pedal. The check gauge light has come on 2-3 times over the past two weeks at idle, but immediatly goes back up. I checked the oil and it was fine and read about that issue on here (oil sender sensor?) but it didnt seem like a big problem, especially since the engine temp have been running within normal range & it only happened two or three times. I dunno?!?! This truck is becoming a pain in my rear and a big disappointment! :confused013:

·
Premium Member
11,944 Posts
if you lost a bank of injectors it will run about as good as a 1930's 3cylinder farm tractor and throw codes ect.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you lost a bank of injectors it will run about as good as a 1930's 3cylinder farm tractor and throw codes ect.
haha, good one but it wont run. It will start but the ECU shuts it down really quit. I only tried to re sart it once due to the terrible sound & not knowing what was going on. I did throw an injector code (i think p2149) 3 weeks ago but it went away after I put some fuel cleaner in it, so it could be an injector issue. Im just nervous that it might have MAJOR engine damage... Im keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that it is something as simple as a sensor or something...:banghead:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Are you still running it? What codes has it thrown? I can't discribe a dieseling sound. What it is, is when the fuel fires before the piston is all the way up. Loud knock on the way up but not all the time. If your crank position sensor or cam position sensor are bad, it may be firing the injectors at the wrong time. That would make it run really bad and throw codes. Whats your tach doing. Is it jumping around? Working at all?. I wouldn't keep starting it till you get someone who knows diesels to look at it.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Update?
I assume you took it in for someone to look at. Just curious as to what it could be.

·
Heck if I know
3,757 Posts
Yeah^^^^^ It sounds like a GIant Popcorn machine :doh: My old edge on #4 would trick the computer into thinking the rear bank had low voltage then it would shut that bank oFF.......... until you cleared the codes three times and started and restarted the truck 4 times :banghead:

Hope its somthing simple

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you still running it? What codes has it thrown? I can't discribe a dieseling sound. What it is, is when the fuel fires before the piston is all the way up. Loud knock on the way up but not all the time. If your crank position sensor or cam position sensor are bad, it may be firing the injectors at the wrong time. That would make it run really bad and throw codes. Whats your tach doing. Is it jumping around? Working at all?. I wouldn't keep starting it till you get someone who knows diesels to look at it.
Still not running!!! It has been at the local dealership awaiting service... Its getting a bit ridiculous. I know how to check the codes but i didn't even think to do it on the side of the highway due to worrying about getting a tow. I knew it was bad because of the sound and how it ran when I restarted it. Didn't want to take any chances. Im starting to think that it might have something to do with the timing or injection after some reading I have done but im still unsure due to the fact that I am so new to diesels. Everything was normal until the time of breakdown. I went from completely normal(tach & gauges working fine) to all of the sudden I heard a loud rattle (almost like a raspy exhaust brake, but from the engine compartment) that led to all power lost & the engine shutting down. But it did restart once I tried but I immediately shut it down do to the sound. SO now im just waiting in limbo untill I hear something from the "Stealership"..... Does anybody know a good mechanic/ diesel shop around St. Louis? thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just hope it will be something simple & covered under my warranty!!!! We shall see...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

Just wanted to give an update on the truck. The dealership called today and said that i basically need a new engine... Said that 3 out of the six pistons were shot. They said they are replacing the short block, pistons, crank, cams and various other components. I dont know how I feel about all of this. The good thing is that it is all covered under the 100,000 mile warrenty!! Not a dime out of my pocket!!! Now I will not have a truck for another week or so... If you have any tips or advice for me that I should ask the service guys or look for when this engine swap is done let me know! Thanks!:party018:

·
SNAFU
3,345 Posts
Good to hear it was covered under warrenty, you are going to have a brand new truck.

Did they say what caused it?

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,806 Posts
i would make sure they either replace the injectors or test them to make sure they are all right

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
:confused013:My big question is WHY! what could make this happen. Injector meltdown???? or what. I would make sure they tell you why you need a new engine. Like can i see the pistons, head, injectors, for the old engine.:confused013:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a quick update for you guys. I got my truck back yesterday after having the motor replaced and a South Bend G56-OFEK clutch installed and just wanted to say that I am finally up and running again and could not be any happier with how its running and especially how the clutch feels! It was one hell of a waiting game but at the end result I am a lot happier now knowing I basically have a new truck. The motor ended up blowing and they suggested I replace the clutch while they had it apart, so I did. Like I said, just wanted to give an update...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Truckie, did they say what caused it to blow? I have an 07 5.9 too and want to make sure I know what happend to others so I can try to prevent it on mine.

Thanks...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Truckie, did they say what caused it to blow? I have an 07 5.9 too and want to make sure I know what happend to others so I can try to prevent it on mine.

Thanks...
They did say what most likely caused the problem but they didn't seem to be sure if it was exactly what did it. They said that it appeared that the engine might have sucked in some dirt or debris which caused damage to the turbo and cylinders (they were apparently scored pretty bad). When the the damage occurred (which the time is unknown), it caused the engine to start burning a lot of oil. I never noticed much blow by or abnormal noises until the motor blew. When the motor was removed and taken apart they said there was only 2 1/2 quarts of oil in the engine? They also said that this could have happened very fast as well. The best part about it is that it was all covered 100% with no deductible by Chrysler/Dodge! It was also noted that they truck had to have been driven extremely hard by the previous owner & that was covered up by the dealer that I bought it from. That is why the clutch had to be replaced as well. There is no reason that it should need a new clutch at 30,xxx miles... So I went ahead and had them throw the South Bend in while they had it apart. My local dealer/service center seems to think that the other dealership that I bought it from tried to cover a lot of things up and agreed that they did some shady business that would not be noticeable to the untrained eye! As you can imagine, I am furious and currently going through some battles with them. I think it could have been caused by many other things though too... If it was caused 100% by debris in the engine I would be shocked. Anyway, Im just happy to have it back now! 25+ days without a truck was way to long!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts