Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing with my edge programmer today seeing how it affected drivability when I noticed the breather hose blowing smoke, I removed the cap and it was blowing smoke. I wasnt even running it hard. Would this possibly be fuel dillution or is my engine shot at 210k? I'm going to change the oil and see if it clears but this has me worried. Its not over heating and runs fine, maybe a little injector tick but nothing I haven't always heard

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This has really got me stumped. The engine is due for an oil change. I change it by the factory recommended guidelines of 7500 miles. However it hasn't lost any oil. I am not sure what kind of oil, the Dodge dealer changed it last time. It was below zero when they changed it, possibly the oil is too thin for hotter weather?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
PS Before giving the following advice I should have asked did it get noticeably worse AFTER fooling around with the edge, or did you simply notice it afterwards, and was the smoke significant?

That sounds bad. Something broken. Cracked piston, cracked block (happens on some cummins blocks-order a new one from china!) Blown headgasket?

What color smoke? White is water, blue oil, black fuel. It takes VERY little liquid to make smoke, so it can be a bit misleading checking the levels, but if it is leaking from the cooling system, significant pressure can build.

I would consider retorqueing the head. Kind of a long shot, but it's the only option I see as a possible easy fix. Except perhaps a motor flush on the offchance that the rings got stuck in the carbon in the pistons, but that seems unlikely in this case.

If it is smoking from the breather, that means generally that liquids exposed to pressure/heat are getting into the crankcase from something other than blowby.

Hopefully I am wrong. Any other thoughts out there?

Just had a thought. If it is leaking from a cracked block, and leaking coolant to the cylinder, popping the radiator cap off would cut it down. Also it would do it very minimally with the engine cold. Watch your coolant and oil for cross contamination clues.

·
Registered
593 Posts
my truck i have added stage 2 nozzles, chip. before i ever touched the engine, it had blowby out the tube....never took the cap off while running when it was stock. I pulled the dipstick and some came out there, and i took off the fill cap and it came out of there too. idk, some blowby is going to be normal, my oil is black, changed 1k ago....so i would think it would be going black by this time. idk.....it sounds about the same for the both of us....is that pretty normal? oil level is normal on the stick.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
my breather blows steam when its warm not sure if this is normal?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok i decided to let this slide. Honestly i am color blind so i am not a good judge but my wife says its white. However on my dakota if i take apart the breather/pvc my wife claims the smoke coming out is white, it runs great too. The day it looked bad my edge was on 5. I am guessing over fueling. I set it on 0 for the last week and never notice anything coming out under the truck and only see it when looking at the end of the breather tube. I am thinking it is nothing more than oil fumes condensating. If i had a breather bottle i would never have noticed this. However this does make me worry that setting the edge on 5 could result in lubrication problems due to fuel dillution.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Some fumes coming from the breather is normal. I wouldnt worry about it unless its puffing. Thats a bad sign.

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,023 Posts
I was playing with my edge programmer today seeing how it affected drivability when I noticed the breather hose blowing smoke, I removed the cap and it was blowing smoke. I wasnt even running it hard. Would this possibly be fuel dillution or is my engine shot at 210k? I'm going to change the oil and see if it clears but this has me worried. Its not over heating and runs fine, maybe a little injector tick but nothing I haven't always heard
This is normal. What you are seeing is what we call "blow-by" which is compression gases leaking past the rings. As long as its not blowing hard and spewing oil out on the ground your ok.

·
Registered
680 Posts
austin nailed it. It's blowby from the high compression of a turbo charged engine. thats what its there for. it will almost always have a little, mist/steam/smoke coming from it, until it starts spraying oil or having some real pressure coming out dont worry about it and thats not very common anyways.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
im just curious in reading this thread, what happens if its streaming white smoke? Blown head gasket?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I guess a good question I should have asked is how thick of smoke? Simply noticeable, or clouds? If it is not extreme (you would know if it was extreme) then yes, it's simply blowby.

White smoke usually is water vapor, unless coming from the tailpipe on a diesel (then it can be fuel in a cold engine). Water can come from many places, cracks in the head, block or a blown headgasket. Cummins are pretty robust so this sort of thing is rare unless the engine is abused, with the fairly rare exception of a cracked block on the 24 valve.

PS Diesels blacken up the oil pretty quick even when brand new. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are, an oil analysis will tell you all sorts of things about your engine condition.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The smoke was a good cloud the day it alarmed me. I had drove down a hill and was slowly turning a corner when i saw it. It has a noticeable smell all the time, more so downhill. However looking under the truck since the oil change it looks like a thin wisp of vapor that steadily comes out. It rarely lets out a drop of oil, and there is no pulse or puffing. When i changed the oil it had 15qts in it, dealership changed this last time. I put in 10qts, and 1qt in the filter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts