Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 12v 2500 pulling hard to right when you apply breaks quickly. Hard steering to the left when breaking. Pulled front tires both sides rotors look great and pads worn evenly. Break hoses all look in good shape. Lines as well.No drag on front wheels or rear wheels. Looking for a direction to go in to find the issue.

·
Registered
17,084 Posts
The flex brake lines fail internally. Looking good means nothing. When is the last time the brake fluid was flushed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure if it was ever even done. Just bought the truck from inlaws. Wasn't used much 69k farm truck spent most of its life in a barn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I mash the breaks and let go of the wheel going 5mph it will take me off the road instantly. But letting off it will straighten right back out. Could it be that the opposite side is not working at all? I'll have to get someone to press breaks while I'll try and turn wheels around

·
On call 24/7
12,377 Posts
Is the driver side bleeder dry? I had the same problem and ended up that the bleader wouldn’t seal good and would loose just enough fluid on the initial hard brake that it would pull the opposite direction. It would be a good idea to replace both front soft lines as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Larger front soft lines for break fluid. smaller line with plastic/rubber pieces every few inches going to caliper looks to be a censor? What is that? ABS?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
My truck did this I replace all the brake lines hoses calipers wheel cylinders master cylinder. And still didnt fix it. So I put a wilwood proportioning valve on and got rid of the abs block. That fix my issue. Brakes work great now. They never work this good before

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a worn out unit bearing allowing one of the rotors to wobble a bit, knocking the brake pads back in the calipers, so that when I hit the brakes the pads on one side weren't touching the rotor. The result was the truck pulled hard to the opposite side on initial braking then steadied out. At 69K miles I wouldn't think a front bearing would be worn out, but farm use can put unusual wear on things.My truck doesn't have front ABS (rear only), but checking a unit bearing is free and easy.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Check your rear brakes, too. You might not think the rears would have as much effect, and I agree that it's not as likely, but I remember a thread quite a while back by someone who had a brake-pull issue and it turned out to be a rear-brake issue.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've been plagued with front brake problems on my 96. I would first suspect the rubber flex lines. If that doesn't do it, check the calipers and take the caliper slides out, polish them clean, lubricate with silicone brake lube, and reassemble, making sure they slide freely. That's been one of the worst problems for me, causing early bite on whichever side is not moving freely and also excessive brake wear from drag.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The caliper needs to float pull the wheel off and push the caliper by hand. If it doesnt move the pins are stuck. Pull the pins from steel sleeves clean them up and reinstall with a quality silicone grease.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
My 96 2wd has had nothing but issues with the floating pins, unlike most vehicles they are completely exposed and push out all the silicon grease and the tiniest amount of corrosion it freezes up. If it pulls to the right the drivers side caliper is froze. Pull it off and check the slides, they should move with your fingers, if not hammer out the slides, clean well, lube with silicon grease, and give it another go. If that fixes it get 2 new front calipers as the corrosion will never stop from my experience and you'll do this work again in a few months.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It seems like I'm removing and re-lubing the slide pins more than I'm changing the oil on my truck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts