Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
You can get by with them then but you'll have to watch how you drive. I know a member with a 1/2 ton crewcab Dodge and he used his axles, not sure if he got them swapped out to 1 tons yet or not.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
I ran a D60 behind the Cummins in that black truck in my Avatar for a few years without any problems.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yea I don't have that kinda time and money. Once I get tired of replacing ball joints and whatever else I'll opt for a dana 60 front, but thats not what I'm thinking about at this time. I have the 14bolt ff rear and 10 bolt front that came stock on the k20, if im really not satisfied with the 10 bolt ill start looking but that's a whole can of worms I don't feel like messing with.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Yea I don't have that kinda time and money. Once I get tired of replacing ball joints and whatever else I'll opt for a dana 60 front, but thats not what I'm thinking about at this time. I have the 14bolt ff rear and 10 bolt front that came stock on the k20, if im really not satisfied with the 10 bolt ill start looking but that's a whole can of worms I don't feel like messing with.

That 14 bolt should hold up just find i'm pretty sure they are about the same as a Dana 70 rear axle.

Reactions: braxt0n

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
That 14 bolt should hold up just find i'm pretty sure they are about the same as a Dana 70 rear axle.
The AAM 14 bolt is head and shoulders above a Dana 70 (or Dana 80 for that matter). It has a pinion nose bearing (kinda like a ford nine inch) that prevents pinion walk/ deflection up the ring gear. Don't get me wrong the Dana 70 is plenty strong, but its more equivalent to a Sterling 10.5 in strength.

Post edit: I guess I should specify, the AAM full floating 14 bolt is better than a Dana70/80 , they did make a semi floating version but as far as I'm aware, those were in late 90's to early 2000 model GM trucks. The semi floating axle isn't that bad (I'd probably leave it if you have one), but its not near as strong as the full floating 14 bolt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe the comparison was between a older corporate 14 bolt, not the newer AAM 14 bolt. The corporate 14 bolt will hold up fine to the Cummins.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
I believe the comparison was between a older corporate 14 bolt, not the newer AAM 14 bolt. The corporate 14 bolt will hold up fine to the Cummins.
Those are essentially the same axle,. The 14 bolt (introduced in the early 70's) has very few differences from the ones being produced today. The pinion bearing is a little bigger now and the brake mounts are different on the new ones, but everything else is the same, gears and lockers even interchange.

Again, except for that semi -float 14 bolt that has a smaller ring gear, that's just a different axle that happens to also have 14 bolts on the cover.

Post Edit: Below is a link that explains most of the differences. Of note, GM never used (to my knowledge) the 11.5 inch ring gear version that started in 2001 (I think Dodge did, but I'm not positive), GM always used the 10.5 inch ring gear version. So any full float GM 14 bolt from 1973 to today is pretty much the same with very few minor differences.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Lol I mean, I know I have a full float 14 bolt. I was never worried about the longevity of it. I am however slightly concerned about the strength of the 10bolt front axle, which, im not concerned enough to fork over cash for an old pass drop dana 60, or buy a dodge transfer case, driveshaft, axle and change the mainshaft In my nv4500 (**** all that)

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Lol I mean, I know I have a full float 14 bolt. I was never worried about the longevity of it. I am however slightly concerned about the strength of the 10bolt front axle, which, im not concerned enough to fork over cash for an old pass drop dana 60, or buy a dodge transfer case, driveshaft, axle and change the mainshaft I'm my nv4500 (**** all that)

The 10 bolt axle it's self is strong enough to support the Cummins, I drove quite a few miles on the one that was in my Blazer. I couldn't use it for 4x4 for 2 reasons, the gears were trashed and it was the wrong side drop for my t-case.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
The dodge diesel front driveshaft are on par with the Chevy ones. Dodge did move up a size on the pinion ujoint though. Use a 3rdgen or later shaft for a bigger CV - should bolt right on at the case end.

I also run a D60 rear in the '90 in my Sig. Since its locked, I added alloy shafts for some peace of mind. Holding up fine.

10 bolt front will probably hold up ok unless you're in the habit of hammering on it at full steering lock.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Update:

Radiator is mounted and fits fine. Definitely won't be using the mechanical fan. I slid the enginee back as far as I could and still only got 2.5" to the fan pulley.

Started roughing in IC piping, and threw in a mack rack plug. Today was a fine day.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts