Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Yea NCOhio isn't very hilly and you'll be 10k lbs lighter than me, you can try electric but I think I'd go ahead and set the engine back.
If that excavator is part of your business you may look at a dump trailer later and your weight could increase beyond the electric fans ability

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yea NCOhio isn't very hilly and you'll be 10k lbs lighter than me, you can try electric but I think I'd go ahead and set the engine back.
If that excavator is part of your business you may look at a dump trailer later and your weight could increase beyond the electric fans ability
The possibility of a dump trailer was kind of the reasoning behind the swap in the first place.
Damn it.

I appreciate all the info, I guess I know what I will be doing.

·
Super Moderator
23,832 Posts
When you have question about your project ask them here so you can keep everything together.

·
Super Moderator
23,832 Posts
If you take your chevys throttle cable out of the firewall then look at the hole then look at the Dodges throttle cable it's more square. Take a file and make the hole opening so the dodges cable will fit into the hole. That's what I did.

·
Super Moderator
23,832 Posts
Also I changed you Thread title so it fits your swap.

·
Super Moderator
23,832 Posts
Ok thanks. So u just used your dodge cable but made the hole in the firewall to accept it?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Yes has been working perfect for 4 years now.

·
Super Moderator
23,832 Posts
What radiator you using, looks like you didn't have to do any cutting like I did.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I got a cheapy 3row from some China company called alloyworks. I cut out obviously the two channels where my piping will run but I welded in some steel to reinforce the core support, and just used some 1" angle we had laying around a job site, drilled some holes and threw in some isolators. I am really hoping I can get my mechanical fan to fit, I haven't slid the engine back yet. Hoping I don't have to

·
Super Moderator
23,832 Posts
Looks close where it's sitting for the fan, is that a short bed truck?

·
Super Moderator
23,832 Posts
You'll be OK then if you have to push the engine back as far as you can. My Blazer I shoved it forward as far as possible so that my rear driveshaft wouldn't be so short and at a bad angle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You'll be OK then if you have to push the engine back as far as you can. My Blazer I shoved it forward as far as possible so that my rear driveshaft wouldn't be so short and at a bad angle.
I'm curious about that also, if I have to lengthen my driveshaft can I just cut it and use the same dimension tube to weld back in then have it balanced?

·
Super Moderator
23,832 Posts
I had a driveline shop do mine, if you would happen to put a yoke on not flush it could really throw the balance off. Also your not using the Chevys driveshafts are you?

·
Super Moderator
23,832 Posts
Welp not anymore I guess. They too weak for the torque?

That's right, you'll need a minimum of a 4" od tube and at least 1350 or 1410 U joints to handle that engines tq.

·
Super Moderator
23,832 Posts
Yeesh. What about front shaft? I'm not a big 4wheeler, it wouldn't see much use really

The front is a smaller diameter shaft because it's used when the rear is. Is your truck a 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton?

21 - 40 of 62 Posts